Lake Macquarie Flathead drought breaker

JA1990

Raiders,

It has been a tough drought since easter time. I have been out fishing a few times and not a look in for anything. I was even in Darwin trying for some Barra but nothing. Seen a few good ones follow my plastic to the boat and my mate who took me out landed a few. I went to Wyangalar but we only got 1 60 odd cm cod in the boat. Although I was happy to see something I didn't  get one. During the past long weekend I went up the Karuah river looking for lizards with some paddle-tails and once again...Nothing.

I was beginning to think it was my lure choice, maybe it was however I needed to be consistent. I continued to say to my self, I have to get something on these paddle tails.

My persistence continued, I rose early Monday morning and decided to give lake Macquarie a crack. I got there around 7 to start i nice warm morning with a gentle breeze. Launching at Speers point I zipped over to some moorings. It was there on my second cast I felt a little bit of tension. I thought hang on its a fish. Absolute excitement I began to wind it in, feeling like lazy dead weight I knew it was a flatty. Then the fish proceeded with some run and i thought it must be around 50-60 mark.

I landed the fish with joy and rolled out the brag matt and I was shocked to see a whopping 73cm on the board. I cheered in excitement.

Not only I finally caught something with the motor oil paddle tails, I landed my Personal Best Flathead. Not a bad way to break the drought. By the way it is extremely difficult to take a fish photo when alone.

See ya out there,

JA

PB Flathead Selfy.jpg

• Like 13

Nice winter lizard! Well done!

To take fish photos when fishing solo (the way I normally fish), have a look at the GoCam app for your phone. You just need to find somewhere suitable to mount your phone. Mine is in a mount clamped to the rail of my console. You open the app, position yourself and pose with the fish, then you raise your hand with a closed fist, open the palm, the longer you hold it open, the longer the time you have to pose properly, close the palm again and the timer starts, pose, smile and hold. Voila!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:09 PM, Berleyguts said:

Nice winter lizard! Well done!

To take fish photos when fishing solo (the way I normally fish), have a look at the GoCam app for your phone. You just need to find somewhere suitable to mount your phone. Mine is in a mount clamped to the rail of my console. You open the app, position yourself and pose with the fish, then you raise your hand with a closed fist, open the palm, the longer you hold it open, the longer the time you have to pose properly, close the palm again and the timer starts, pose, smile and hold. Voila!

My biggest issue is mounting in such a hurry. I dont want to be mucking around with camera, i just want to get the fish back in the water.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 8:01 AM, JA1990 said:

My biggest issue is mounting in such a hurry. I dont want to be mucking around with camera, i just want to get the fish back in the water.

I thought I already responded to this but, since I can’t see my response, I’ll have another go!

The trick with your phone is to have it mounted all the time in a suitable position in a quick release bracket. The Life Active System is pretty good. I use it in my car and in the boat. Sometimes on my belt. I just mount it on the rail of my console, where it’s best positioned for a selfie using the GoCam app. It can be quickly released if needed. If it’s raining or I’m copping spray while cruising to the grounds, I’ll pop it in a pouch or in the glovebox. When I’m at the grounds, it comes out again. I’m toying with the idea of extending the height of the windscreen of my console and also adding some overhead protection for my phone.... but, the way it is mounted at the moment, it’s also perfectly situated for shooting video of breaching whales ahead of the boat, so I’d lose that option if I take that path. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...