Motor Powered Kayak?

James  Clain

Just interested about and knowledge about motors for kayaks.

I have a smallish kayak that I want to use in areas like Middle Harbour, Pittwater, etc. I am thinking about using a whipper snipper motor and attaching blades to the snipper bit, does anyone have any recommendations about getting blades that will fit or is this a totally bad idea anyway. 

Are there any good cheap motors that would be easily attached to a kayak? I am not keen on 2 stroke, electric (I think they run out of charge quick) or a really expensive 4 stroke since I'd rather just keep keep the money and save for a tinny. Does a powered Kayak count as  PWC or a Boat.

Any general ideas or knowledge would be really appreciated because I am not sure as to what to do.

Theres a store in coffs that sells a electric motor with a kayak bracket which is decently priced.

How long they run for is really dependent on what battery you throw at it and how much it draws + other accessories you have on the battery.

54 minutes ago, xerotao said:

Theres a store in coffs that sells a electric motor with a kayak bracket which is decently priced.

How long they run for is really dependent on what battery you throw at it and how much it draws + other accessories you have on the battery.

Do you have any rough estimate as to the speeds you could get while running these motors conservatively? 

2 hours ago, James Clain said:

Do you have any rough estimate as to the speeds you could get while running these motors conservatively? 

Unfortunately no idea. Maybe someone with more electric motor knowledge could help

if you want speed. Maybe look into a bixpy motor. Or buy a jet powered kayak