nbdshroom

Crazy Hook Up On Salmon

Recommended Posts

I was fishing for bream the other day on the Parramatta River at pretty much midday. It was more of a quick hour where I could get out and get some fresh air.

I had my bream outfit with me which consisted of a 2-4kg rod and a 2000 size reel running 6lb line and leader. I wasn't expecting much to be the honest. Maybe a couple of flatties and a bream or so. 

Out of nowhere, I spot a school of salmon in close (which I thought were kings at the time - bad eyesight). The excitement levels rose, it was a flick of a coin whether I would hookup and hook up I did! I seriously don't think anyone in my position could miss. They were that close to shore and that many of them.

After a rather long tussle, the salmon revealed itself through some aerial jumps at the end of the fight. I do find that the bigger salmon stay deep during the fight which this one did.

IMAG0637.thumb.jpg.70afa3558841a528d3e95f6738816ea8.jpg

The lure that did the damage was a trusty Zman Grubz in watermelon red. Thanks for reading.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far out man, you're spanking the pelagics!

Reel's gonna be due for a service earlier than usual i reckon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work, surprising where salmon turn up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report and photo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was an awesome strike, its the type of stuff that gets the heart pumping.

Great vid and result

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top catch. Gotta love when you fish with zero expectation and a lovely surprise like that sweeps you off your feet 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done. Nice video as usual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jdanger said:

Far out man, you're spanking the pelagics!

Reel's gonna be due for a service earlier than usual i reckon.

A spanking? I think I'm barely giving it as good as I'm receiving 😂 It's been a rough month with smokings haha.

Yeah the reel is getting pushed a lot. It's already making some sounds, probably coming from the line roller. 

6 hours ago, beachwormer said:

Good effort dude and entertaining video. Thanks for posting.

Thanks mate! I always try to make it entertaining.

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work, surprising where salmon turn up.

Yep, especially surprising when they turning up right under my nose! 

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and photo.

Appreciate it.

5 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

That was an awesome strike, its the type of stuff that gets the heart pumping.

Great vid and result

Yep, it got my heart pumping real good. I still feel the adrenaline when I rewatch it. Thanks for the comment.

5 hours ago, Kracka said:

Top catch. Gotta love when you fish with zero expectation and a lovely surprise like that sweeps you off your feet 

That's right. I was kinda expecting to get smoked real quick. It's not apparent from the video because I was using a chest mount but my head and eyes were going left and right frantically scanning the water for snags, obstructions etc.

1 hour ago, Gabm said:

Well done. Nice video as usual.

Glad you like it!

Edited by nbdshroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Salmon really did look like kingfish. quite cool. Great video!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly would not eat it - not up that far past the Harbour Bridge (Good catch just the same) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Plethora said:

I certainly would not eat it - not up that far past the Harbour Bridge (Good catch just the same) 

This topic is always debated...what should and shouldn't be eaten from the Harbour.

It depends on quite a few factors such as the species - pelagics like salmon and kingfish or even omnivores like luderick, all travel in and about the system and aren't solely feeding in one area, they love to move about and follow wherever the bait is. What's not to say a fish that is caught in parra river one day, released, and follows the bait over into middle harbour or from the ocean rocks gets caught the next day...

The fish's' diet also plays a big factor. The higher up the food chain you go, the greater the bioaccumulation of dioxins.

Contrastingly, bream and flatties (especially) tend to inhabit and feed in one area for quite some time - THEN I would probably throw them back as they're more susceptible to bioaccumulation. A kingie, salmon or lud - destined for the plate, but not too regularly.

It's a matter of personal preference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great footage.  Salmon are so much fun and s good surprise up the river with a one hour session.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it first appeared it did look like it had a yellow tail so I also thought king.

Nice unexpected fish with a great fight.

Well done :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After your kingie video I'm tempted to say some people have all the luck, but I know you put in the hours and your angling skills are second to none. 

Really well done Pete. Thanks for posting all your awesome videos

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, James Clain said:

The Salmon really did look like kingfish. quite cool. Great video!

I thought so too at the time. Kinda still does too.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:18 AM, Plethora said:

I certainly would not eat it - not up that far past the Harbour Bridge (Good catch just the same) 

I pretty much release all fish I catch. This salmon was released as seen from the video. Thanks.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, Kracka said:

This topic is always debated...what should and shouldn't be eaten from the Harbour.

It depends on quite a few factors such as the species - pelagics like salmon and kingfish or even omnivores like luderick, all travel in and about the system and aren't solely feeding in one area, they love to move about and follow wherever the bait is. What's not to say a fish that is caught in parra river one day, released, and follows the bait over into middle harbour or from the ocean rocks gets caught the next day...

The fish's' diet also plays a big factor. The higher up the food chain you go, the greater the bioaccumulation of dioxins.

Contrastingly, bream and flatties (especially) tend to inhabit and feed in one area for quite some time - THEN I would probably throw them back as they're more susceptible to bioaccumulation. A kingie, salmon or lud - destined for the plate, but not too regularly.

It's a matter of personal preference.

A lot of food for though there! 👍 That was a very interesting and useful post.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, Prowling_Tiger said:

Awesome catch and great footage!

 

Cheers mate!

18 hours ago, Welster said:

Great footage.  Salmon are so much fun and s good surprise up the river with a one hour session.  

Gotta love salmon! They spice up inshore finesse lure fishing in the colder months. 

11 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

When it first appeared it did look like it had a yellow tail so I also thought king.

Nice unexpected fish with a great fight.

Well done :thumbup:

Me too, but I'm pretty bad at recognising fish lol. Glad you enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

After your kingie video I'm tempted to say some people have all the luck, but I know you put in the hours and your angling skills are second to none. 

Really well done Pete. Thanks for posting all your awesome videos

Thanks Richard! I think I've been getting used to getting smoked that it's a surprise when a few of them stick. 😎 More to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U know. after having a good look at the photo im sure that it was a school of kings. If there is bait and the kings are traveling, no reason why there weren't salmon in the mix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 11:03 PM, James Clain said:

U know. after having a good look at the photo im sure that it was a school of kings. If there is bait and the kings are traveling, no reason why there weren't salmon in the mix.

That's good to know that I'm not crazy for thinking they were kings. 😎 Most times I hook up to kings especially down east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge when I see these groups of cruising kings. I was really surprised in the video when the fish was headshaking and I couldn't connect the dots immediately which would indicate salmon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice report and video, salmon are such awesome fun on light gear, keep em coming!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 1:37 PM, lakelad said:

Nice report and video, salmon are such awesome fun on light gear, keep em coming!

Awesome fun Salmon are! Cheers and definitely more to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved to video, also watched the one where you hooked a nice Kingie. Good work 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, GordoRetired said:

Loved to video, also watched the one where you hooked a nice Kingie. Good work 🙂 

Nice one GordoRetired! More to come (including more smokings lol) 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Pete! “It’s a KING SALMON” haha! 

Good to see you out and about! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, Scratchie said:

Great work Pete! “It’s a KING SALMON” haha! 

Good to see you out and about! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff! That, I know it wasn't haha. I should be out again once this poor weather subsides. I think a bit of the weather from your way made its way down south 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,967
    • Total Posts
      520,991