Scratchie

Port Stephens- Pre fish

Recommended Posts

Gday raiders,

Just a quick report from the beautiful Port Stephens today! 

Headed out with a couple of raiders @Berleyguts and @Aerialangler to see if we could find a few snapper. We met up at the ramp at 530 and headed out for some live bait. It wasn’t showing much on the sounder so after a few quick drops of nothing, we packed up and headed to Broughton. 

Trying to catch one on sps was the game of the day and on the first or second drift Kent came up tight on a nice one that put up a great fight and was soon into the boat. A Pb for him and a nice one at that. 

Next drift and after many changes of sp I finally hooked onto a good fish that was taking plenty of drag. I’m pleased to say everything held tight and Baz was kind enough to net the brut for me! 

After that we had a few boats around us driving up the drift and the wind ever changing making things difficult so we decided to change areas. The next few spots didn’t yield much other than some bycatch and the snapper seemed to have disappeared. We stuck at it for a while but decided to call it a day and a have beer with a slow drive back to Port! 

Seen a few whales splashing about and had a few buzz’s from the jets, great day out in the water! 

Thanks to Baz and Kent for a great session! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

773C4627-CE12-4140-97A6-CA31C6B8C85B.thumb.jpeg.8397df33f57ac8ddfd21aa0520c3ff18.jpegC75524A3-5D1D-4D11-A16D-F874DBFE847E.thumb.jpeg.96f12f8632ecbb385bfd9fd238b385d6.jpeg719EE13C-0801-4EC7-A8B8-3E897183A85D.thumb.jpeg.ddee2a8a71751afa01339eb910185af1.jpeg

 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice fish Scratchie. If you have a pre-fish, does that mean less fish for tomorrow?  :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice fish scratchie and I hope the party poopers caught zilch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! 

How big was that 2nd monster? It looks enormous!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Nice fish Scratchie. If you have a pre-fish, does that mean less fish for tomorrow?  :lol:

Haha, yep! There’s two less fish in the ocean. 

59 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice fish scratchie and I hope the party poopers caught zilch

Cheers Luke! I’m sure they would have struggled. 

13 minutes ago, Gabm said:

Awesome! 

How big was that 2nd monster? It looks enormous!

Both fish were in the 60’s and 70’s!!! And very fat! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Gabm said:

Awesome! 

How big was that 2nd monster? It looks enormous!

Is a photographers trick Gabm, you just push them snapper closer to the lens to make them look bigger :whistling: 😁😂

They are really 30cm estuary squire 🤪

 

1 week out & good to see we are still in with a chance of a great fish like that, fingers crossed, toes crossed, rabbits foot/4 leaf clover/rosery beads packed & not eating any bananas after Sunday :wacko: 

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi fellow Raiders

 

Well what can I say?

 

@Berleyguts and @Scratchie are two fine specimens of the sea 

 

Baz’s  4.49 outlaw Stacer got us to Broughton and back stress free 

 

Nice reliable and organised boat 

 

I’d never met Baz and Jeff in person so meeting them at the boat ramp just after 5am was a good experience in the dark 

 

As the the sunlight slowly revealed all of our handsome faces it wasn’t what was on the outside that counted but what was on the inside that mattered on the day 

 

@Scratchie was there to show us how to catch snapper on SP and he did it in flying colours 

 

And @Berleyguts provided a beautiful vessel and captaincy 

 

As mentioned conditions weren’t the greatest but we still managed to learn and gain some success in the early hours of the day 

 

Thanks again for the top day master captain Baz and Elite guide Jeff

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

They are really 30cm estuary squire 🤪

All my fish are just squire! Well anything under 80 anyway! 😝

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

All my fish are just squire! Well anything under 80 anyway! 😝

Id call that for more than fair 🤐😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a pleasure having you both out in the boat @Scratchie and @Aerialangler! I’ve fished in most of the areas before, Jeff, but it was good to learn some refined techniques of how to fish them most efficiently. It was interesting to see how my boat handled 3 up, something I don’t do often. Glad you both got your target species! My turn next time! 😝

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

It was a pleasure having you both out in the boat @Scratchie and @Aerialangler! I’ve fished in most of the areas before, Jeff, but it was good to learn some refined techniques of how to fish them most efficiently. It was interesting to see how my boat handled 3 up, something I don’t do often. Glad you both got your target species! My turn next time! 😝

Good on you Baz. I was just shocked you had no dramas lol 😝 

And yes mate, your turn next time! 

Thanks for the day and I hope the fish tastes good! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report and great photos. Top day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great fish there guys..

What ramp is best to get out to Broughton?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Wrongbait said:

Great fish there guys..

What ramp is best to get out to Broughton?

 

Little Beach. The sand has been cleared recently so it’s pretty easy for most boats. Shoal Bay ramp is closer but it’s shallower so not so good for bigger boats. Neither ramps have a jetty or pontoon to tie up to. Use Soldiers Point if you want that - heaps better ramp but a longer run to the heads. Probably takes me 10-15 minutes but longer coming back into the winter westerlies in my open boat! “You grit your teeth and get wet!@ 😂

Edited by Berleyguts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good on you Baz. I was just shocked you had no dramas lol 😝 

And yes mate, your turn next time! 

Thanks for the day and I hope the fish tastes good! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

So was I... especially with the full moon approaching! The dramas came a week early! 🤔🤪

Going to try some snapper tonight. My son only eats flathead. I might cut some into thin strips so it looks like flathead when I batter it... might be able to convert him! 😉🤔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Little Beach. The sand has been cleared recently so it’s pretty easy for most boats. Shoal Bay ramp is closer but it’s shallower so not so good for bigger boats. Neither ramps have a jetty or pontoon to tie up to. Use Soldiers Point if you want that - heaps better ramp but a longer run to the heads. Probably takes me 10-15 minutes but longer coming back into the winter westerlies in my open boat! “You grit your teeth and get wet!@ 😂

Actually, I just heard that some concrete has lifted up across the middle two lanes of Little Beach ramp. Possibly damaged by the excavator that was working there on Thursday and Friday. Hope it’s fixed by the weekend!

2D1C95C3-A215-41C8-A2A0-FAF13EC6D74A.jpeg

2770F780-6B90-4EE8-87E9-6C612BBD7CCA.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great reports & photos guys in what sounds like some trying conditions, saw quite a few whales while on the shore the other day, bound to be a lot around next weekend up at port 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, @Scratchie, I think I need to get a bigger cutting board!

 

2F419383-B371-4AB1-A260-6CB6D6F9696B.jpeg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 61 crusher said:

Great reports & photos guys in what sounds like some trying conditions, saw quite a few whales while on the shore the other day, bound to be a lot around next weekend up at port 

Lets just hope the forecast changes. 12 knots WSW plus this:

D956E502-5042-439E-A2D4-AD54969D0060.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Actually, I just heard that some concrete has lifted up across the middle two lanes of Little Beach ramp. Possibly damaged by the excavator that was working there on Thursday and Friday. Hope it’s fixed by the weekend!

Bummer can it still be safely used to launch & retrieve

Edited by 61 crusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Lets just hope the forecast changes. 12 knots WSW plus this:

D956E502-5042-439E-A2D4-AD54969D0060.png

I hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great day out fellas. Nothing more enjoyable than sharing a day on the water with like minded and genuine people.

As always great results on the reds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Bummer can it still be safely used to launch & retrieve

Well, apparently it’s across the middle 2 lanes. I usually use either of the outside 2 lanes, so I’d be OK there. Looking at the pic, chances are if you’re careful and you have 4wd and clearance, you could deal with it anyway at this stage. The tide’s half in now and I can’t duck down to check it out anyway. I’ll check it out on Tuesday though and report back.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, apparently it’s across the middle 2 lanes. I usually use either of the outside 2 lanes, so I’d be OK there. Looking at the pic, chances are if you’re careful and you have 4wd and clearance, you could deal with it anyway at this stage. The tide’s half in now and I can’t duck down to check it out anyway. I’ll check it out on Tuesday though and report back.

Could it come into play with a low tide expected for 5.45am & also how many of us are going to be putting in at the same time Baz?

Or will the low tide play in its favour?

Just throwing it out there.

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Actually, @Scratchie, I think I need to get a bigger cutting board!

 

2F419383-B371-4AB1-A260-6CB6D6F9696B.jpeg

Mate I think that sized board is good for slicing bread & making a sandwich on 😀

 

I have found that just serving food up to people without them knowing what it actually is then are getting you get an honest reaction!

I once served up my brother who swore he would touch anything other than lamb/beef/pork or chicken & was a very basic meat & 3 veg eater a Malaysian Nyonya curried goat that I had recently 'sourced' myself.

At the end of the bowl I asked him how it was & he replied this is amazing.

I then told him what it was & saw his eyes open wide, then I asked if he would like another bowl to which the response was 'hell yeh'

 

The morel of the story is- don't tell em what it is until they have tried it & then their mind wont play tricks on their taste buds 😂

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,775
    • Total Posts
      519,202