Weipa 2019

LuckyFil

Just back a week now from the annual trip to Weipa on the houseboat and tenders. The weather was strangely cool for up there due to the cold front that swept across the whole country - had to wear a T shirt under the long sleeve shirt for the dawn outings a couple of times! Worse was the bloody wind that didn't stop for the whole week and while not strong (10-20 knots)  it caused a large ground swell from lower in the Gulf that meant off shore fishing more than 1 km was not possible.

Despite this we managed some good fish with plenty of queenies (a few over the meter mark), various trevally (golden, gold spot, tea leaf, diamond, small GT), a cracker Blue Bastard (unique fish to the area like morwong) caught by the fly fisherman in our crew, heaps of grey mackerel (broad bar?) a few spanish, coral trout, mangrove jack and tusk fish. As usual some of the best fish were lost to sharks, but being confined to inshore fishing these weren't as bad as when you're offshore chasing the bluefin.

The good thing about fishing in shore is we often used the light gear, which really made the drag sing on my Daiwa Sol 2500 when playing a metre plus queenfish in shallow water!

A great bunch of guys onboard meant we had a lot of fun apart from the fishing.

A few pics below 

Cheers

Fil

queenie.jpg

jack.jpg

blue bastard.jpg

grey mackerel.jpg

diamond.jpg

queenie 2.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Also, congratulations to the Fly Fisherman in your crew who caught the Blue Bastard.

Bit of a Holy Grail to Fly Fisherman and I heard they go well.

Yeah he was pretty stoked  especially as he was solo in the tender that day so had to fight then net it himself.

I caught a big one on a prawn bait a few years ago and I was using heavy bottom fishing gear. It nearly pulled me out of the boat-  so it would have been a real challenge on fly gear!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments.

This was our eleventh year in a row up there. I first heard of the houseboat operation in Weipa from Fishraider members (Hookerbruce and others) who generously shared plenty of information about fishing up there , so its become a ritual to post a report after each trip to recount our adventure each year in case other's want to do the same.

Fil

2 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

Surprisingly these last ones were from my old iPhone 5!

but all the previous pics were from my sons big SLR. I'll ask him what it is. I know he's also got a very good lens worth as much as the camera

Edited by LuckyFil
typo

4 hours ago, corro said:

Top quality photos! What camera is that?

The earlier pics were taken with a Canon 6D and a 24-105 lens. We used the auto setting most of the time as its simpler when shooting in a boat under less than perfect conditions and also took plenty of shots of each fish to increase the chances of getting a good one