tough going but fun all the same

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Put in at first light this morning. I made a pact with myself: no bait, I have to catch it.

so of course the yakkas weren’t taking the sabiki. In desperation I broke out the squid jig - managed to find a spot and collect 4. Traded one for two yakkas with @kiwicraig 

then went out to west reef and got thrashed about and caught countless undersized snapper, flathead and spikies. Kept one flathead. Tried on the way back at rip bridge for zeros. Thanks for reading.

Luke

2BFB0345-FDAB-4620-91FD-59AADF7F2936.jpeg

Guest Guest123456789
58 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

At least you got out Luke. Reef fishing for anything decent is always tough on a full Moon period. Beats sitting at home! 

Cheers scratchie!!!

Why is reef fishing harder on a full moon scratchie? Is that to do with the tides? Doesn’t seem to be stopping you catching big red brutes ;)

Just now, flatheadluke said:

Why is reef fishing harder on a full moon scratchie? Is that to do with the tides? Doesn’t seem to be stopping you catching big red brutes ;)

That’s because most fish feed at night time during the full moon period and the currents can be all over the place. I often think I just get lucky during these periods but I stick to my motto of “just keep casting”. Some of those good reds can be one in 200 casts! Then other days you get the right conditions and I can land 3 in a row! But you’ll never find out sitting at home and wondering if the fish are biting! The key is to look for bait and structure! 

• Like 3