Thoughts on a new rig (underutilised?)

chokpa

See attachment for an image.

We already read about how important berley is, especially off the rocks, and you see people carrying bags of stuff in with them. However if you are casting out wide the berley is less effective, and the current can often make your berley trail hard to manage.

Recently i've started float fishing as a way of avoiding a lot of the pickers and found it working alright, definitely avoiding the pickers anyway. I was thinking why dont more people do this but attach a berley cage to under their float? Its off the bottom so the pickers usually wont get at it, plus it slowly self-berleys as it drifts through the water, broadcasting itself a much farther radius.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this?

float_fishing_rig_bait_chamber_burley_cage_2.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

I've never tried it but id be swapping the sinker and the cage so that the sinker is lower 

Why's that? You'd want to get the burley off the surface I'd think, in case it doesn't sink well. You want it as close to the bait as possible

8 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi chokpa used a similar set up to catch livey's when fishing high up- you put a sabiki style bait jig on (still with a sinker on bottom as well) instead of leader and hook, under same rig as you've demonstrated. Handy when baitfish well out or from up high.

Regards Waza

Have you ever thought if using the cage on your livey rig too?

13 minutes ago, chokpa said:

Why's that? You'd want to get the burley off the surface I'd think, in case it doesn't sink well. You want it as close to the bait as possible

Have you ever thought if using the cage on your livey rig too?

The sinker will likely be heavier than the cage and force the line to fold over. This is a recipe for very bad tangles.

if your worried about the burley cage floating to the surface, you could put a stopper/rubber band above it to stop it rising too the surface, exactly the same as you would use for the float.

50 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

The sinker will likely be heavier than the cage and force the line to fold over. This is a recipe for very bad tangles.

if your worried about the burley cage floating to the surface, you could put a stopper/rubber band above it to stop it rising too the surface, exactly the same as you would use for the float.

Oh yeah good point. Thanks!