Botany tailor

Defishensea

Went for a troll on kayak, starting 6.30am today at La Perouse. Had two lures – Slashbait 10 in olive green, and slashbait 12 in glass ghost. Tide was in second half of rise with very light NW breeze. Had a quick first hook up going around Yarra Point, but it got off. There were about 10 people standing on Yarra Point and one of them asked if I could please move around the corner to wind the fish in, which I thought a little odd, given they weren’t actually fishing. Turns out they were taking photos of a model to make an advertisement or something.

Second hookup was closer to the seawall at Prince of Wales Drive. Landed a low 50s tailor. Then trolled back to La Pa, before deciding to go and do one more pass of Yarra Point (photography crew had moved on). Sounder lit up, with a school of something decent sitting about 10-15 metres off Yarra Point on the bottom (depth 5m). Trolled through the first time and hooked up on one line initially. Kept paddling and managed a double hook up. Landed two c.50cm tailor. Made a second pass and caught a smaller model (mid 30s). Then two more passes for two more mid 30s models.

The fish were still there, but I’d run out of time. All up 6 tailor, 3 decent 50s versions which pulled well, plus 3 mid 30s. Good fun for 1.5hr session.

Got back to the shore just before the rain and the yak got a rain wash on the way home on the car roof.

IMG_2047.JPEG

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice session, how was the water quality?

Patchy, but much better than a week or two ago when there was both heavy rain the day before and a southerly, which stirred up the northern side of the bay. Today, it was generally OK as long as you didn't go any closer than c.20-30m from the sandy shore lines, where it was quite murky looking.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, Defishensea said:

Went for a troll on kayak, starting 6.30am today at La Perouse. Had two lures – Slashbait 10 in olive green, and slashbait 12 in glass ghost. Tide was in second half of rise with very light NW breeze. Had a quick first hook up going around Yarra Point, but it got off. There were about 10 people standing on Yarra Point and one of them asked if I could please move around the corner to wind the fish in, which I thought a little odd, given they weren’t actually fishing. Turns out they were taking photos of a model to make an advertisement or something.

Second hookup was closer to the seawall at Prince of Wales Drive. Landed a low 50s tailor. Then trolled back to La Pa, before deciding to go and do one more pass of Yarra Point (photography crew had moved on). Sounder lit up, with a school of something decent sitting about 10-15 metres off Yarra Point on the bottom (depth 5m). Trolled through the first time and hooked up on one line initially. Kept paddling and managed a double hook up. Landed two c.50cm tailor. Made a second pass and caught a smaller model (mid 30s). Then two more passes for two more mid 30s models.

The fish were still there, but I’d run out of time. All up 6 tailor, 3 decent 50s versions which pulled well, plus 3 mid 30s. Good fun for 1.5hr session.

Got back to the shore just before the rain and the yak got a rain wash on the way home on the car roof.

IMG_2047.JPEG

Yum!

Great haul.

My favourite fish. 

• Like 1