How best to fill these holes?

AhhTeaAhh

Previous owner of this boat made an absolute hash of installing rod holders. All $15 rod holders whose locking cogs had worn away, also installed with non stainless screws. After removing them and installing railblaizer holders we are left with this mess. Also worth noting that this is clearly not the first time he has installed them... 

Nautiglass boat (obviously fibreglass.) Any recommendations on how best to fill them? 

Cheers A

Screenshot_20190618-110631_Gallery.jpg

Depends if you just want to fill them up, or make it look like new, that involves colour matching, simply filling them will be easy, best to get a big drill and kind of countersink them, then get some resin and some orange pigment, tint it to be close, then add some talc and make a paste before adding the catalyst (hardener) put some tape behind the holes so the mix doesn't just push through, use a plastic spatula to just fill the holes with the resin paste, don't put too much on, just fill flush.

23 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I’d glass over them. Shouldn’t be that hard.  Suggest it would be better fitting flush mounted, gimbal mount rod holders.

Could you elaborate on "glass over them?"  Re the railblaizer rod holders, they are great for our use as they are strong but also versatile in terms of being able to use them for other things. 

21 hours ago, noelm said:

Depends if you just want to fill them up, or make it look like new, that involves colour matching, simply filling them will be easy, best to get a big drill and kind of countersink them, then get some resin and some orange pigment, tint it to be close, then add some talc and make a paste before adding the catalyst (hardener) put some tape behind the holes so the mix doesn't just push through, use a plastic spatula to just fill the holes with the resin paste, don't put too much on, just fill flush.

When you say resin, what do you mean? Epoxy I presume? Having not worked with epoxy before would be great if you could say the exact brand that you use or recommend! :D 

17 minutes ago, AhhTeaAhh said:

Could you elaborate on "glass over them?"  Re the railblaizer rod holders, they are great for our use as they are strong but also versatile in terms of being able to use them for other things. 

I just meant get some fibreglass cloth and resin... like patching a ding in a surfboard or similar.

Re the existing rod holders... I assumed they’ve been repositioned a few times, as they would eventually work loose where screwed down. I like recessed stainless steel rod holders... strong enough to handle kingfish etc. 😉

Yep, depending on how much you need, a surfboard place, or a boat repair place will sell you some, and probably have pigment, you can buy repair kits from boat shops, but it's an expensive way to buy it.