New Around These Parts

Trojan87

Hi all thanks for adding me I’m new to this site but looking forward to hopefully getting involved and having a bit of fun. 

I’m currently fixing up a 1980 Savage Tasmin for a bit of fun but with not much of a clue what I’m doing was wondering if there is any info on this site for someone as clueless as me ? Thanks in advance 

D716D91E-F0FB-4072-A68E-3C5E115CF8D6.jpeg

76942201-6214-4D17-BCCA-A92A7587145C.jpeg

C308E61B-7B29-43FD-9D05-D0683E0FA05E.jpeg

Edited by Trojan87

Tell us what you want to do mate when you say fixing up.

Id start with  giving the outboard a service to make sure is running fine.  If your not confident yourself to do the service, take it to a mechanic.  Get them to check steering as well.  

Next thing would be to completely go over the fibreglass hull checking for soft spots and have them repaired if you find any.

Electrics......id completely rip out what you have and start rewiring from scratch all the way from the battery.

I have no experience with a glass boat, but im sure you would want to check your hull for soft spots and damp spots as this would be rot and will eventually let water in. 

There are loads of members here that can help if you ask the right questions, maybe being a bit more specific may yield more answers.

Welcome to the world of boating.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by mii11x
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should add, dont forget about your trailer, check all the lights and  wiring.  You can pick up led trailer lights and trailer cable for cheap off ebay.  Much cheaper than superautorepcobarn. 

Replace the wheel bearings with a fresh set also.

Check your tyres also...

Norhing worse than blowing a tyre or having your bearings shit themselves at 4am on a sunday morning on  the way to the ramp.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mii11x said:

Tell us what you want to do mate when you say fixing up.

Id start with  giving the outboard a service to make sure is running fine.  If your not confident yourself to do the service, take it to a mechanic.  Get them to check steering as well.  

Next thing would be to completely go over the fibreglass hull checking for soft spots and have them repaired if you find any.

Electrics......id completely rip out what you have and start rewiring from scratch all the way from the battery.

I have no experience with a glass boat, but im sure you would want to check your hull for soft spots and damp spots as this would be rot and will eventually let water in. 

There are loads of members here that can help if you ask the right questions, maybe being a bit more specific may yield more answers.

Welcome to the world of boating.

Cheers

Mick

Thank you excited to waste my money apparently (or so I been told)

To start off the outboard it is screwed only good for scrap heap. Just going to swap it out with a good second hand towards the end of the project.

Electronics is where I have started all completely rewired with a new gang switch installed. Steering cables also ripped out. have new ones just have to install at later date. 

Hull is fine however the floor on the inside is soft so maybe repairing the stringers will be on the cards. Any info on best ways to replace stringers would be appreciated.

Something I would like to ask is when I do rip up the floor (going to happen regardless of stringers) would it be a good idea to install a bilge pump under the floor for any water that may leak in? 

Trailer will needs a good tap with the angle grinder and some new paint but all in all it’s in pretty good nick.

Thanks for the reply Mick can tell I’m in the right spot already 

Cheers

Troy

Edited by Trojan87
Left out info
  • Like 1

Hey Troy,  good fun project.  

Once you are done with your building/renovations take the boat somewhere calm and close to shore for a good few times to test everything out, old boats have a way of failing in the most unexpected ways.   

When you put the floor back make sure that anything you put under it is easy to access ie. bilge pump.  eventually you will need to service it or repair it and you want to make that as easy as possible.

Get new good quality batteries if you have not already and install a good isolator switch.  If you have the option, mount the battery as high as possible in the boat to keep them dry in the event of a spillage...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Trojan87 said:

Thank you excited to waste my money apparently (or so I been told)

To start off the outboard it is screwed only good for scrap heap. Just going to swap it out with a good second hand towards the end of the project.

Electronics is where I have started all completely rewired with a new gang switch installed. Steering cables also ripped out. have new ones just have to install at later date. 

Hull is fine however the floor on the inside is soft so maybe repairing the stringers will be on the cards. Any info on best ways to replace stringers would be appreciated.

Something I would like to ask is when I do rip up the floor (going to happen regardless of stringers) would it be a good idea to install a bilge pump under the floor for any water that may leak in? 

Trailer will needs a good tap with the angle grinder and some new paint but all in all it’s in pretty good nick.

Thanks for the reply Mick can tell I’m in the right spot already 

Cheers

Troy

Welcome to Fishraider

For someone who claims to be clueless you certainly seem to know what your talking about 🤣😂

• Haha 1

After that comprehensive answer to my comments mate, you don't sound clueless.

By my understanding of boating rules and regs, all boats with decking must have a bilge.  Check the boating rules online at sms mate.

Sounds like your well on the way to wasting money hahaha.  Seriously though, keep your outboard and rig in great condition and it will probably outlast you

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 8:40 AM, GoingFishing said:

Welcome to Fishraider

For someone who claims to be clueless you certainly seem to know what your talking about 🤣😂

It appears that way but believe me this is my first time I’ve just done my homework and watch a channel on YouTube “DangarMarine.” Must say he’s videos have helped me a lot so far  

guess you could say I’ve got all the gear but no idea. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:11 AM, Slawman said:

Hey Troy,  good fun project.  

Once you are done with your building/renovations take the boat somewhere calm and close to shore for a good few times to test everything out, old boats have a way of failing in the most unexpected ways.   

When you put the floor back make sure that anything you put under it is easy to access ie. bilge pump.  eventually you will need to service it or repair it and you want to make that as easy as possible.

Get new good quality batteries if you have not already and install a good isolator switch.  If you have the option, mount the battery as high as possible in the boat to keep them dry in the event of a spillage...

Was planning on testing in our on Parramatta river at Silverwater a few times before putting it in a bay. As for the floor thanks for the tip of making it easy to access later a mate was going to fibreglass the new floor back to the frame. However floor will be ripped up at a later date I want to make sure the hull doesn’t fail me first. 

And great advice for the battery up high will definitely keep that in mind 👍👍👍

Edited by Trojan87

On 6/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, mii11x said:

After that comprehensive answer to my comments mate, you don't sound clueless.

By my understanding of boating rules and regs, all boats with decking must have a bilge.  Check the boating rules online at sms mate.

Sounds like your well on the way to wasting money hahaha.  Seriously though, keep your outboard and rig in great condition and it will probably outlast you

What can I say mate I’ve done my homework rather be prepared than standing there scratching and screaming. I will definitely check out the regulations around the bilge May have to rip up the footing sooner then later if that is the case. 

Cheers mate 

On 6/20/2019 at 8:26 PM, Trojan87 said:

Was planning on testing in our on Parramatta river at Silverwater 

Go across to Rydalmere or Rhodes, less chance of having the river cat come past and smash you with waves while trying to test the boat and motor out.

they both have better pontoons as well especially Rydalmere 

• Thanks 1

On 23 June 2019 at 6:28 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Go across to Rydalmere or Rhodes, less chance of having the river cat come past and smash you with waves while trying to test the boat and motor out.

they both have better pontoons as well especially Rydalmere 

Great thank you for the head up I will do that 👍