Boat upgrade

fezza82

Hi raiders after some advice from anyone willing to share 

I’ve been looking to upgrade my boat currently have a stacker nomad elite 465 SC looking at either a cuddy cabin or centre cab as have a young family and would like to have somewhere for them to stay out of the weather or rough seas ect if you could let me know your preferences and why that would be great. Not locked in on new also looking at second hand currently been looking at tabs Formosa and Quintero trident but not locked to any.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated I fish in fresh water dams estuaries and a little of shore but would like a good all rounder probably around the 5-6m range with 140-175hp 

Hi Fezza,  I have a Formosa 550 with a 115 that suits me just about perfectly in my current situation.  I wanted something light that could tow and could be handled solo.  It has a cabin so the kids can sit it out on their iStuff if needed.  It is a fishing boat primarily and it lets me fish anywhere around Sydney and offshore (weather permitting) pretty comfortably.  The ride is rougher than an equivalent fiberglass boat but you can control that somewhat by the way you drive it and the aluminium is much lighter than a fiber boat which is a plus.  The only thing i find myself wanting for is an ability to go offshore in rougher weather and the potential to overnight on the boat which I would go to a 7m for.   The 115 gets me along at 30 knots and has not missed a beat.  I guess the 115 in this size aly boat gets it along roughly the same as a 150 on the same size of fiberglass boat. 

I would encourage you to do a sea trial with a few models (Aly and fiberglass) if you have the opportunity so you can get a feel for the differences first hand.

• Like 1

Why not another Stacer? a dealer is likely to give you a good trade on the same brand, my local Stacer guy has one of their centre cabs in stock (at least I think it's a centre cab) 

• Like 1

I have a 2016 Stacer 509 Searunner with 115 Etec - fantastic boat, easy to launch yourself, Towing with a Subaru Liberty (Hull 500Kls / Motor 203Kls and trailer 280Kls) (just under 1 Ton. OK outside in 1 to 1/12 meter swell (cheap to run) Gladesville bridge to Watsons Bay and back on 1/4 of a tank around 25 to 30 dollars.  top speed is 36 knots on the flat. A cubby cabin & bimmy to get out of the weather.  

image.thumb.png.4636aa6da41dc5fbddda6e9c633870e8.png

• Like 2

What about a barcrusher ive got 2010 560c (6.1m) with a 130etec, very seaworthy, good ride, economical to run my only regret I haven’t got trim tabs yet, there’s quite a few in various sizes on the second hand market & this time of the year you might get one at a good price, re your kids you can get infills for the bunks to turn the cuddy into a bed

I moved from an 80's 5.0m FG to a 90s 5.6m Al boat and I really like it. It needs a tidy being second hand, but I moved my motor over and I feel pretty safe in it. Plenty of room for fishing and I can always put a swag on the floor if i want to sleep over night. I've got some plans to make it more comfortable, but for now  I'm just enjoying using it.

If you go second hand, then you just need to be patient. It can take a while before the boat you want turns up.

Mclay boats are getting a bit of a following and more dealers. While fiberglass is best for ride quality I like the look of the 581 Crossover as it doesn't need a 4wd to tow, will suit a single axle trailer and would be easier to launch and retrieve.  

• Like 1

Even though it's quite a drive, down in the Illawarra there is a .Stacer, a Quintrex and a Savage dealer all within 5-10min drive of each other, and between them they would have most models of boats in stock, plus a choice of Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and e-tec engines, almost like shopping at a boat show.

Just had a look at one of those yesterday while I was at my local shop buying some odds and ends, they do look pretty good for the price. A good mate of mine recently bought a second hand (a few years old) similar custom brand and paid considerably more than one of those new!

On 6/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, fezza82 said:

I’ve been looking to upgrade my boat currently have a stacker nomad elite 465 SC looking at either a cuddy cabin or centre cab as have a young family and would like to have somewhere for them to stay out of the weather or rough seas ect if you could let me know your preferences and why that would be great. Not locked in on new also looking at second hand currently been looking at tabs Formosa and Quintero trident but not locked to any.

Mate, couple of thoughts n questions ...

What sort of budget? 

How old, 2nd hand are you comfortable with?

Motor size vs boat size and type? Any reason for the HP range?

A Quintrex spirit or sea spirit (same but different year models) could well suit your needs, unless you really want or need the hard canopy. Bit lighter than the Trident so towing and outboard HP requirements less.

Other option(s) are older model fibreglass boats. But, depends on budget and your comfort with older hulls and motors. You could luck into a solid hull and newish motor.

Ideas:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-macquarie/motorboats-powerboats/2011-quintrex-570-spirit/1218335057

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coobowie/motorboats-powerboats/quintrex-610-spirit-2010/1209839651

IMO, the "millennium hull" aka now 'blade hull' would make the Quintrex way ahead of the Stacer options.

Edited by Ah Me Ting

On 6/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, fezza82 said:

Hi raiders after some advice from anyone willing to share 

I’ve been looking to upgrade my boat ... been looking at tabs Formosa and Quintero trident ... 

Have you read this thread?

Maybe? Contact a couple of the owners, forum members and get their first hand input of the Trident?

Maybe? Score a test run too ... 🤔 If you are serious about buying one of them.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, Ah Me Ting said:

Think for that money I'd be looking at a fibreglass hull.

That is full retail price, you can buy one a lot cheaper, why do you think fibreglass would be better value?

hey AhMe I was looking hopefully no older than 2014 hp between 115 and 150 and hopefully not spend more than 55k and just get a good all round boat that I can take outside or fish the estuaries and if the kids and mrs want to get get out of the weather or just have a rest they can thanks again for everyone’s help and replies 

On 6/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, noelm said:

That is full retail price, you can buy one a lot cheaper, why do you think fibreglass would be better value?

Resale.

Market seems to swing to glass boats above a price point in my experience.

Don't get me wrong. I think an ally boat, plate boat, is good, great, but later resale is a limted, more 'fishing niche', in the larger ally boats. 

The glass at around that size seem to pick up the family boating users too.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fezza82 said:

Thanks everybody for your help purchased a trident 610 secondhand with a 150 Etec during the week will let you know how it goes 

Congrats mate. Hopefully many pleasant days on the water to come. Would love to see a photo