Braid - Looking for specific

Spool

Hi all,

1) I am looking at getting braid, below are the things I am looking for. Can anyone who has experienced alot of braids please recommend the best for me?

- 20LB - 8 Strand Braid 

- Tangle-free (Do not want any braid that tangles, helicopters, tip coils)

- Must not be limpy soft type of braid

- Strong and high quality 

- Does not break and fray easily

- Good castability

2) Also another question not related to above. Does anyone know what is the difference between Shimano Kairiki Braid and Shimano Kairiki SX Braid? And which is the better one?

Thanks

Edited by Spool

Black magic rainbow elite. Have used their leaders and terminal tackle for years as is imo the best on the market, and this is the best braid i have used. Has the 10m colour change also, great if targeting fish off your sounder. 

Good luck 👍

Suffix 8 braid, I was using J braid and after a couple of months it just started to snap at random spots 

As kingie chaser said all braid tangles the quality line stuff not as much it's all about having good line management and limiting slack line

There are a lot of myths about braid and i will help you with a few things here- there are two types of braid - woven (most braids) and fused - fireline, spiderwire etc. With woven lines the higher the number of strands the "limper" the line tends to be , fused lines tend to be "stiffer" . Braid tends not to break down with UV exposure but can get local "worn" spots due to snags etc over time, in general braid is not very abrasion resistant . Your tangles on casting come from two  causes- limp wristed spooling - braid needs to go on TIGHT-this will improve the castability etc out of sight- and every few casts- especially when flicking light lures into the wind- just wind it back through your fingers. The other cause is poor casting technique-smooth your technique and the wind knots will disappear I have braid on reels that is 7-8 years old- its lost its colour but still is fine to use. When a spool of braid gets worn, just reverse it- it lasts forever. Try good old Berkely fireline-its still good stuff,just the trendies like to spend a fortune when they dont have to- Platypus is an excellent product as is Fins, Powerpro, Sufix- cant comment on any other brands cause i havent used them.But number one- when you are spooling up- USE FORCE

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PaddyT said:

There are a lot of myths about braid and i will help you with a few things here- there are two types of braid - woven (most braids) and fused - fireline, spiderwire etc. With woven lines the higher the number of strands the "limper" the line tends to be , fused lines tend to be "stiffer" . Braid tends not to break down with UV exposure but can get local "worn" spots due to snags etc over time, in general braid is not very abrasion resistant . Your tangles on casting come from two  causes- limp wristed spooling - braid needs to go on TIGHT-this will improve the castability etc out of sight- and every few casts- especially when flicking light lures into the wind- just wind it back through your fingers. The other cause is poor casting technique-smooth your technique and the wind knots will disappear I have braid on reels that is 7-8 years old- its lost its colour but still is fine to use. When a spool of braid gets worn, just reverse it- it lasts forever. Try good old Berkely fireline-its still good stuff,just the trendies like to spend a fortune when they dont have to- Platypus is an excellent product as is Fins, Powerpro, Sufix- cant comment on any other brands cause i havent used them.But number one- when you are spooling up- USE FORCE

Interesting point about the tension. I notice that I tend to get more tangles in my braid when it seems to be looser on the spool. After getting a hell of a tangle on Friday, I respooled a reel today with fresh 20lb braid and struggled to get it on tight enough, even using a spool tensioner.

Any tips on how to get it on TIGHT?!

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

..., I respooled a reel today with fresh 20lb braid and struggled to get it on tight enough, even using a spool tensioner.

I run my line through my fingers. I grab a cloth, usually a hankerchief, and triple it over then wrap it around my fingers and thumb. I put the braid between the two sides so it is 'sandwiched' between the cloth. I then hold the cloth to the rod, as far up as I can comfortably reach, using my thumb to press down onto the rod. It's this press action that gives it tension. I then slowly wind the line onto the reel. As my arm and thumb tire, I stop, stretch a bit by reaching for a beer, have a swig and then go back to the task at hand... 

I find having a beer close by very useful. You could substitute for any beverage really, but the rest for the thumb and arm gives patience to ensure a nice steady job.  Well, for for me anyway. Otherwise I tend to rush it to get through the fatigue pain in my arm and thumb.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 12:47 AM, Spool said:

I am looking at getting braid, below are the things I am looking for. ...

- Tangle-free (Do not want any braid that tangles, helicopters, tip coils)

Mate, that is the holy grail.

As others have posted, technique goes a long way to reducing this problem.

Yes, some braids are better than others. But slack line from poor technique and any braid will give you grief.

Power Pro works ok for me on light reels for estuary work. I've had Fins on my Tekota 700 for years without fault.

I just set up a new 12000 baitcaster with 30lb Power Pro and it's working fine. It started to twist up, but on the next drop, the weight of the fish help it spool up under tension and the twist was gone on the next drop.

18 minutes ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Mate, that is the holy grail.

As others have posted, technique goes a long way to reducing this problem.

Yes, some braids are better than others. But slack line from poor technique and any braid will give you grief.

Power Pro works ok for me on light reels for estuary work. I've had Fins on my Tekota 700 for years without fault.

I just set up a new 12000 baitcaster with 30lb Power Pro and it's working fine. It started to twist up, but on the next drop, the weight of the fish help it spool up under tension and the twist was gone on the next drop.

Ah, yes, the key element.... having a fish on the end of the line to apply tension.... that’s what I was missing on Friday! 😂😂

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Do you have a line spooler Baz?

I have this first one which I actually put the reel in the rod butt & run the line through the fist guide, you can control the tension of the spool when winding!

spooler2.jpg.599bedc0bce87ebffdb856e0f3dc5b1b.jpg

This is another version

Spooler.jpg.a3e48f1af66b4e7be622b860ac518b34.jpg

Another version

spooler3.thumb.jpg.74da65da0ff049c995b918ac7f29ef57.jpg

Both are pretty cheap but handy to have.

I used to use a bit of dowel & a cloth before but sometimes you just have to spend $30 on something that will work so much better :thumbup:  

Edited by kingie chaser

Am i the only weirdo that feeds the line through the entire rod, ties onto the reel, puts a pen through the spool of line, then holds the pen each side with big toes on each foot? You can put pressure on the spool of line to wind on nice and tight, and the rod loads up so it goes on evenly.  just make sure you have socks on as it burns 😂

Have had some weird looks from the mrs haha but it works

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wcurrall said:

Am i the only weirdo that feeds the line through the entire rod, ties onto the reel, puts a pen through the spool of line, then holds the pen each side with big toes on each foot? You can put pressure on the spool of line to wind on nice and tight, and the rod loads up so it goes on evenly.  just make sure you have socks on as it burns 😂

No mate, I think we have all been there 🤣

44 minutes ago, wcurrall said:

been there done that- i bought myself a Line spooler from Busted fishing- best thing ever- especially if im spooling a game reel, but before that with smaller reels and braided line I had an old Penn Jigmaster bolted to my work bench via a flat Alvey reel holder and I used to spool the line onto that, then set the drag and spool it onto the reel I needed it on- smooth and even and LOTS of tension- as i said before that is the key- I honestly cannot remember the last time I had any sort of twist or tangle issues with ANY of the various braid I use , as an illustration I would usually spool 6lb braid at about 3lbs tension off the reel spooler- and that is tighter than most folk realise

3 hours ago, wcurrall said:

I used to do this mate, then realised i could use two house bricks

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Do you have a line spooler Baz?

I have this first one which I actually put the reel in the rod butt & run the line through the fist guide, you can control the tension of the spool when winding!

spooler2.jpg.599bedc0bce87ebffdb856e0f3dc5b1b.jpg

This is another version

Spooler.jpg.a3e48f1af66b4e7be622b860ac518b34.jpg

Another version

spooler3.thumb.jpg.74da65da0ff049c995b918ac7f29ef57.jpg

Both are pretty cheap but handy to have.

I used to use a bit of dowel & a cloth before but sometimes you just have to spend $30 on something that will work so much better :thumbup:  

I bought a Rogue spooler from the place where you have effing fun and despite screwing it all the way up, it didn’t seem to apply enough tension. 🤔

Edited by Berleyguts

After winding line on, just go out in the boat and let all line out and troll it for 3-4 mins then wind back on through the water- rod tip down. Plenty of tension that way. For braid,keep boat moving slowly to wind back on. This also how to get rid of line twist/memory and gives most line an extended 'useable' life as 'straightened out'- DON'T tie anything on line when you do it, not even a swivel.

Without a boat, can be done by dropping line from rod in water along a sandy stretch as you walk, then winding back on through the water with tip down at water level, a bit of  extra finger/thumb tension needed for final 100 mtr's. 

This method particularly useful if using mono on Alvey or baitrunner reel also, as twist inevitable when using sinker (or anything) on rod side of  rig above swivel. From shore do process as you walk away- drop, wind back on through water then drop a second time, wind back on as you walk back. Takes only a few minutes on beach and line back on smoothly and straight/twist free.

When nylon line first came to Aust it was often very stretchy, or very stiff, trolling it behind boat for about 5 mins was the accepted way to 'get it straight and 'even' on spool.

46 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

After winding line on, just go out in the boat and let all line out and troll it for 3-4 mins then wind back on through the water- rod tip down. Plenty of tension that way. For braid,keep boat moving slowly to wind back on. This also how to get rid of line twist/memory and gives most line an extended 'useable' life as 'straightened out'- DON'T tie anything on line when you do it, not even a swivel.

Without a boat, can be done by dropping line from rod in water along a sandy stretch as you walk, then winding back on through the water with tip down at water level, a bit of  extra finger/thumb tension needed for final 100 mtr's. 

This method particularly useful if using mono on Alvey or baitrunner reel also, as twist inevitable when using sinker (or anything) on rod side of  rig above swivel. From shore do process as you walk away- drop, wind back on through water then drop a second time, wind back on as you walk back. Takes only a few minutes on beach and line back on smoothly and straight/twist free.

When nylon line first came to Aust it was often very stretchy, or very stiff, trolling it behind boat for about 5 mins was the accepted way to 'get it straight and 'even' on spool.

😂 I find it kinda difficult to wind 300 metres or more of line on while driving the boat! 😂😂

As far as 8 strand braid goes, IMO Duel Hardcore X8 is hard to beat. I have tried a lot of different brands over the years and this stuff is excellent and has never let me down. I have it on a lot of reels in sizes from PE 0.6 up to PE 5. 

Also, here's a pic of my red neck line winder. Adequate line tension is never a problem and fully Australian made, just chuck the end in a vise or rod holder and away you go. Doubles up as a pretty handy jew reel from the beach.

IMG_0904.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

As far as 8 strand braid goes, IMO Duel Hardcore X8 is hard to beat. I have tried a lot of different brands over the years and this stuff is excellent and has never let me down. I have it on a lot of reels in sizes from PE 0.6 up to PE 5. 

+1

Currently running Duel Hardcore X8 and YGK G-Soul Upgrade X8 on all my reels. 

I've recently tried the J Braid Grand and Sunline Siglon PE x8 but had so many windknots I went back to Duel/YGK

On 6/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, Berleyguts said:

Personally don't think it has to go on super tight, just has to go on under tension. There's virtually no stretch in braid anyway so it will go on the reel the same regardless if you put it on under 2kg of tension or 500g 

Edited by BuckWild
  • Like 1