Crabing

chris b

Good guys

I live on the central cost around Budgewoi  area 

I have often though about buying a small second hand tine and a little outboard 

for around the creeks and small rivers  I have never tried crabbing before would  appreciate 

all the help you can give me 

Thanks  guys

Chris

Getting a bit late in the year for crabs, make sure you read the laws for your particular area regarding traps/nets, some local laws apply to certain places. Crabbing is a pretty simple process, depending on what you use, the methods vary a bit.

Hi,

Tuggerah lakes is good for crabbing both muddies and blue swimmers. The conventional wisdom is any month with an r in the name.

Like @noelm said above, check the rules to be sure that you are not going to get busted by fisheries.

One feller I met just used a long handled net to catch crabs walking the jetties at Long Jetty.

Unfortunately, there are lots of people who steal traps and or raid them so you need to keep close by when they are set to keep an eye on them.

I've only used witches hats. We would find a mark and then allow the wind to drift the boat on a straight line and place the traps at regular intervals making them easy to relocate.

We used mullet frames for bait which seemed the best though one guy I know, who gets more than plenty, swears by tins of cat food.

Fun to get and great to eat.

Good luck,

KB

• Like 1

You don't need to when you have a boat and can set traps in the lake except in the shaded area on the map above.

In Brisbane Waters where traps are banned, most fishers set out a line with a good slab of mullet and when a crab is on, gently bring it to the surface and net it.

Don't know about stockings sorry.

KB

On 6/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, chris b said:

Good thank guys

is it illegal to snag crabs in  say a stocking or like

Yes.

If traps are banned then any method that isn't by line and hook (snagging them is essentially the same as trapping, they get caught up in the stockings/mess of line). If traps are banned in the area use a handline, running ball sinker, hook and mullet for bait.

The fisheries website has all the legal methods to use, anything outside those listed are not legal, you can try to put any twist on it you like, but, if/when it comes to the crunch, you will be out of luck.

Guest Guest123456789

The amount of stuffing around making/fixing the snare and untangling the crab you’re probably better off just doing it the legal way (IE bait on a hook).

• 1 month later...

Off topic but when setting traps and pots be alert as many people raid them which sucks. 

My father use to trap lobsters and gave up as people kept stealing our lobby’s. 

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Still plenty of big blue swimmers in lake mac  had some good numbers at our last weighin two weeks ago

Thanks  kingfisher I have not got a boat so I will have to try off one of the wharfs   up that way with the old  stocking trick       Any good wharfs up that way that I can try 

Thank Mate