Port Stephens Live Report

Scratchie

4 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Probably lucky you didn't go fishing Baz.

You would have been stuffed driving down there and back.

Yeah, I’m pretty used to it. Just got home. There and back in 5 hours. Down with 1 car, back with 2. The things we do!

Scratchie, Just a word of thanks for organising this meet and greet and it was great putting some names to faces.

We were pussies and decided not to go out fishing even though I came up from Sydney - we have an open centre console and at almost 60 I like to have a "nice" day fishing on the water with any fish an added bonus.  We get wet even in 10 knot blow let alone a 20 so apologies for missing the day.   

Still I've entered some new marks into my GPS and hopefully we can catch up one day and bag a few snapper at broughton :) !!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

What a shame about the damn weather. 

Big thanks to @Scratchie for organising a meetup. We once had to cancel a big social at Botany Bay  for about 100 raiders when the weather was just too dangerous and rainy. So unpredictable. 

That is the biggest problem with fishing outside, I have had many a planed day out cancelled at the last minute due to wind or rain.
I guess it makes the good days even more special 🙂

And that’s a wrap!!!

The clear winner of the weekend was Mother Nature who kicked our ass and showed us who’s boss! 

Although, in true fishraider spirit, there was still some members that fronted up and had a go and made the most of what was nearly unfishable conditions. 

I take my hat off to you guys and promise all of you that the next time you are in the area, you have a personal guide for the day! (You now have my number). 

Many thanks also go to one of our endeared members @frankS for offering prizes (which we agreed next time) turning up to all our meets and even turning up to the ramp early morning to wish us all the best, even though he wasn’t fishing due to health reasons! What an absolute champion! I hope you get well soon mate and it would be my pleasure to get out fishing with you sometime! Thanks again Frank!!! 

Also thanks to @the skipper who provided the flags which made our boats indentifiable from a distance and is certainly something we’ll do again in the future! 

We all agreed that this is something we would like to do again but next time hopefully we can get offshore and chase our target. (Maybe an annual event) 

So, Once again thank you to all that turned up over the weekend either for our Friday night meet and greet to the brave ones that fished over the weekend! True Fishraiders!!!

@frankS @61 crusher @kingie chaser @blaxland @Ojay Samson And family @Peter Nelson @garfield28 And son @back cruncher @Woodsy1  @maveric0_3@farcanary @scratchie_junior619 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 11

And one other big thanks is to FISHRAIDER itself....... What a premium forum it is to be able to get together so many like minded people and share our experiences to the fishing community! 

👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations @Scratchie and all for putting in such an effort! I am SO, SO, sorry that, as a local, I was a no show due to some unfortunate personal circumstances, that remain a curse. I had intended to help Scratchie with the BBQ but I could not even manage that. Rest assured, I was monitoring progress yesterday via Fishraider and even popped down the road to the Anchorage wall to see if I could see any member’s boats.

Well done and hopefully it can happen again!!!

• Like 2

Well done guys for showing up and having a crack especially Jeff for making it all happen.

I was one of the guys that piked out after the weather looked average at best.   I was bringing my dad and didn’t really want him out in crappy weather. 

The good news for me in the past couple days of days I have got heaps done around around the house that should help me get out on the water some other time.   A few little boat jobs ticked off as well. 

• Thanks 1

Without the fishraider platform the weekend wouldn’t have been possible, a big thumbs up 👍 to mrs & mr swordie for starting it all & thanks to all the moderators for keeping things flowing & in check, & for scratchie another big thumbs up 👍👍 for going to the enth degree for organising such a great event which I’m sure will be the first of many more up there, & even giving out freely his accumulated knowledge & gps marks, & also to Frank 👍what a trooper for meeting us & bringing up some stuff for me, & even had the hindsight to bring a portable gas heater to keep us all warm around the meet at the ramp unfortunately which couldn’t be used due to the weather🌨. It was a shame that the weather was such a pain but catching up with some raiders & meeting new ones more than made up for it ( great bunch of M & F’s 😎) & of course kingychaser for the accomodation & top grub 👍good to see the barcrushers were there in force😃 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Also meant to post these of ust got some pics of some nice marks on the sounder I found in different spots while out there yesterday.

IMG20190622074451.jpg

IMG20190622074544.jpg

IMG20190622094249.jpg

IMG20190622095326.jpg

Ah, I see by one of those shots, that there were some decent fish sitting near the Wreck. 😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Also meant to post these of ust got some pics of some nice marks on the sounder I found in different spots while out there yesterday.

IMG20190622074451.jpg

IMG20190622074544.jpg

IMG20190622094249.jpg

IMG20190622095326.jpg

Seeing them is one thing, catching them is another 🤪

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Without the fishraider platform the weekend wouldn’t have been possible, a big thumbs up 👍 to mrs & mr swordie for starting it all & thanks to all the moderators for keeping things flowing & in check, & for scratchie another big thumbs up 👍👍 for going to the enth degree for organising such a great event which I’m sure will be the first of many more up there, & even giving out freely his accumulated knowledge & gps marks, & also to Frank 👍what a trooper for meeting us & bringing up some stuff for me, & even had the hindsight to bring a portable gas heater to keep us all warm around the meet at the ramp unfortunately which couldn’t be used due to the weather🌨. It was a shame that the weather was such a pain but catching up with some raiders & meeting new ones more than made up for it ( great bunch of M & F’s 😎) & of course kingychaser for the accomodation & top grub 👍good to see the barcrushers were there in force😃 

I would also like to 2nd all that from 61 crusher & thank the guys who took the time to commit to the trip even knowing it was forecast to be very average & the people who made the effort to come along to the greetings even thought they weren't fishing just to meet the fellow raiders :1gathering: :beersmile:

Also I'd like to say a big thanks to Scratchie, I only had to speak to you for 5 minutes & could see how large your passion was for fishing & this site & wanting to establish a comradery with & between the members.

61 crusher, thanks again for giving me a chance as a random & a spot of your fine vessel, I can only dream of owning something like that myself & it was a great experience being out there & seeing how well it performed in the chop plus I really enjoyed the chats & appreciate all the tips you passed onto me as well.

I look forward to the next outing 👍

Didn't manage to christen the new rod/reel on one of those monster snaps this time around, but it will happen :fishing1:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Didn't manage to christen the new rod/reel on one of those monster snaps this time around, but it will happen :fishing1:

It will happen. You’ve now established new connections. You have new areas to target. You have a member willing to share his vessel in exchange for accommodation! It’s now only a matter of a collaborative day off and you have your guide!

Pleasure to meet you champ! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3

Guest Guest123456789

Sorry to hear about the weather Jeff, it looked like you guys made the most of things and thumbs up for getting out anyway plus organising everything.

You said the winner was Mother Nature, I think it was @rickmarlin62. He was prepared to rough it by sleeping on the boat under a tarp with a gas cooker and a thermos of coffee in the pub car park. Consequently, when the weather ended up terrible he could bail out without taking a hit on non refundable accomodation. Lesson learnt for planning fishing trips away, use the camping gear/boat/car and don’t book hotels/air bnb.

9 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Sorry to hear about the weather Jeff, it looked like you guys made the most of things and thumbs up for getting out anyway plus organising everything.

You said the winner was Mother Nature, I think it was @rickmarlin62. He was prepared to rough it by sleeping on the boat under a tarp with a gas cooker and a thermos of coffee in the pub car park. Consequently, when the weather ended up terrible he could bail out without taking a hit on non refundable accomodation. Lesson learnt for planning fishing trips away, use the camping gear/boat/car and don’t book hotels/air bnb.

It’s not always about the results Luke, it’s the journey that matters! And I’m sure everyone that went fishing would agree “Mother Nature” got the better of us all. 

• Like 2

Guest Guest123456789
3 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

It’s not always about the results Luke, it’s the journey that matters! 

I work I sales scratchie, I might quote you to my manager the next time I lose a deal!

23 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

I work I sales scratchie, I might quote you to my manager the next time I lose a deal!

Quote it to your potential customer and you might not need to talk to your manager! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

We were pretty lucky too.    My parents had booked and paid for a cabin for the two nights and they let us cancel and have the credit for some time in the next year. 

• Like 1