Easy reel annual servicing

Guest Guest123456789

Luke, I really like your post.  I have always serviced all my reels. My 1990 vintage Penn 320GT still sits in the arsenal fully working. My Penn 330GTis and Penn 45GLS are all 1996 and have landed marlin, sharks  and still going strong.  etc etc.  My spinning reels are either Penn  (did I mention I was a Penn fan !) or Shimano baitrunners eg the 8010 Aeros .... 

I use WD Silicon spray on the rollers,  level winds, bail arms and handles. Try and give them a spray after they have dried post each trip.

I use high quality marine grease on internals - same stuff I use on my trailer wheel bearings.

I have replaced most of the drag washers with carbontex.  I bought a sheet of carbontex and a punch wad set so I could cut the different sized washers. All my carbontex  washers are greased. For the Penn 45GLS I had to figure out where to buy JB Weld high temp epoxy as the carbontex drag washer is GLUED to the face plate of the drum on the 45s.....

Self servicing is definitely possible. Just take lots of pictures as you disassemble - memory is not always what it should be especially when you are having a few beers while doing the  essential reel maintenance !  

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1