Old days

noelm

Just posting in a thread about reel servicing and it got me thinking about old gear we used, I don't know if I have posted any of these photos before, one is my old sounder, and the other is a home made jig, it is just a piece of stainless flat bar with a hole in each end and a treble, they worked a treat and cost nothing to make, I have a picture of an old jig with the single hook tied to a bit of cord and attached to the top, we used that back in the early '80s and it is common now and considered "new" 

8F345702-11E8-4628-AA91-D989E5E6B4DA.jpeg

09B0B5C9-50AD-4D64-9B06-100893EB7EDF.jpeg

• Like 4

Can't find the jig picture, I will take another one, the jig is in the garage somewhere, here's an old ABU 1000C two speed automatic, way ahead of its time, probably about 2KG of drag tops.

D768EB7B-0977-4FD9-9F5B-E5D35F84E38D.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, GoingFishing said:

Love it......How long ago is this tech?

most would be from late '70s to mid '80s, the sounder still works, I connected it up a while ago just for kicks.

For casting jigs we used to use a length of stainless rod, cut to about the size of a small Garfish, a hole in each end and either a treble or single hook on a split ring, they would cast out of sight (almost) we used stainless because we could get flat bar and rod for free, we tried painting them all sorts of colours, but plain old dull stainless worked the best, doesn't look flash, but it works.

• Like 2

Guest Guest123456789

That sounder would be worth a fortune - a real collectors item. Thanks for sharing Noel

I just looked at the sounder, that's a pretty fair old pinnacle on it hey, even after all these years, I know exactly where that is, I jigged it a couple of weeks ago and got a couple of legal Kings, if you look close under the plastic depth scale, you can see fish.

Edited by noelm
Added something.

My pops old 13ft cane rod I inherited when I was young.   I spent ages binding new guides on and lacquering it. 

The only time I ever used it was one trip at Little beach and caught a Shovel Nose and Port Jackson.  

82EC218D-2A81-4CBD-B132-D65BEFE2AC88.jpeg

D7D0CC6B-3C6F-431F-92A2-103C2FC825CF.jpeg

• Like 2

Just day dreaming again, back in about 1983 I worked office hours, and if the weather was good, when I got home, my wife would have the boat hooked up, food and thermos made rods and bait in the boat, and my fishing clothes laid out, ready to change and go Snapper fishing, they were the days, only 4 boats out, and we were all mates.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just day dreaming again, back in about 1983 I worked office hours, and if the weather was good, when I got home, my wife would have the boat hooked up, food and thermos made rods and bait in the boat, and my fishing clothes laid out, ready to change and go Snapper fishing, they were the days, only 4 boats out, and we were all mates.

By any chance can my wife and your wife start hanging out. I'd love it if they could become friends and my wife could take a thing or two from her book !!!! 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My Grandma always mentions how hand reels were the thing back in the day, very popular. 

Just wind the line out and wind back when hooked.

But if you hook a big one its a different story lol.

• Like 1

My wife was a very keen fisho back then, caught lots of Marlin, Yellowfin to 69KG, one was a full page photo in Fishing World years ago, lots of big Kingfish to 25KG and a top Snapper fisherperson too.

• Like 2

I still use a hand line now and then, when Snapper fishing, if the conditions are right, I have a hand line on the bottom, sometimes with a livebait, caught plenty of Jewfish doing that.

17 minutes ago, noelm said:

I still use a hand line now and then, when Snapper fishing, if the conditions are right, I have a hand line on the bottom, sometimes with a livebait, caught plenty of Jewfish doing that.

Nice!

great to see it hasn't died out. 

3 hours ago, noelm said:

I think it might be a Henchman, but I could be wrong, I will see if I can find it, the name is on the other side.

I thought Henchman were the Largest of them, about 8in, no wait I think they bought out a fricken huge one after that. Cant remember the name of that one. There was the Assassin after the Coffin. I have the smallest one down in the shed. Lynch something I believe .... long time ago and I could be all wrong.

Stiring some great memories there 👍

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 1

Yeah, back in the late 70's and into the 80's jigging was all the rage, but not with light weight gear available today, heavy glass rods, with fast tapers, 4/0 Senators or the smaller Jigmasters, big 8 ounce jigs, it was very hard work, and no funny fingerless gloves, shirts with every brand name on them, $500 sunglasses or 12" colour sounders or GPS to be seen! I still have a JS980 jigstick I built decades ago, the JS signifying Jig Stick, the 980 meaning 9 wrap and 80" long, very fast taper and very strong, you could just lift a decent King straight in, I will get a photo of it later, unfortunately the Senator got stolen years ago, along with some other very sentimental gear that I would love to have back.

• Like 3

good stuff Noel , i had very limited access to boats back in the 80's - I was just a teenager with no other fisho's in the family-was lucky enough to score the odd trip to the Peak and off Terrigal, caught my first and still biggest yellowfin at the age of 16 on a live yakka at the Peak (wasnt weighed, but was around 30kgs) on an amazing afternoon when it seemed like every boat in Sydney was there and every boat was hooked up. 'cause I had no money i used to improvise- I had one rock rod - a Snyder Ft70-120 with a Mitchell 499 (remember those) and one "little rod" a Diawa 1300 (Black Diamond) i think with some kind of cheap rod. I spent all school hols on Avoca and Terrigal rocks chasing bonito, frigates , tailor and rat kings (funnily enough we never saw salmon until the 1990's). Great memories- go to lures were 1/2x1/4's (corners had to be bevelled or otherwise they would spin), 10 gm Halco slices and white and gold painted barrell sinkers. Later on graduated to owning a Seascape on an FSU4120 (sold the Seascape for a Shimano Speedmaster when they arrived on the scene), a 6/0 Penn Senator on a cut down MT8144 for a live bait stick and a 6 inch Alvey on a FSU (I think- it wasnt a common blank)5144 for beach, pig and jew fishing . All gear with character- which I either sold or gave away to a few less fortunate folk when i bought my first decent boat. These days it all seems a bit lazy with GPS and Sounders-just wish the inshore yellowfin would return.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

good stuff Noel , i had very limited access to boats back in the 80's - I was just a teenager with no other fisho's in the family-was lucky enough to score the odd trip to the Peak and off Terrigal, caught my first and still biggest yellowfin at the age of 16 on a live yakka at the Peak (wasnt weighed, but was around 30kgs) on an amazing afternoon when it seemed like every boat in Sydney was there and every boat was hooked up. 'cause I had no money i used to improvise- I had one rock rod - a Snyder Ft70-120 with a Mitchell 499 (remember those) and one "little rod" a Diawa 1300 (Black Diamond) i think with some kind of cheap rod. I spent all school hols on Avoca and Terrigal rocks chasing bonito, frigates , tailor and rat kings (funnily enough we never saw salmon until the 1990's). Great memories- go to lures were 1/2x1/4's (corners had to be bevelled or otherwise they would spin), 10 gm Halco slices and white and gold painted barrell sinkers. Later on graduated to owning a Seascape on an FSU4120 (sold the Seascape for a Shimano Speedmaster when they arrived on the scene), a 6/0 Penn Senator on a cut down MT8144 for a live bait stick and a 6 inch Alvey on a FSU (I think- it wasnt a common blank)5144 for beach, pig and jew fishing . All gear with character- which I either sold or gave away to a few less fortunate folk when i bought my first decent boat. These days it all seems a bit lazy with GPS and Sounders-just wish the inshore yellowfin would return.

I love hearing about the good old days. I'm only 32 but I didn't get to do much boat fishing until I bought my own boat. No one else we knew had one.

I wonder what has caused the yellowfin failure to return to inshore.

Yep, the days of big Yellowfin in close are few and far between now, still hear of one occasionally, but most are smaller and out wide, I guess we should consider ourselves lucky to have seen fish like we did, and witness advances in gear and electronics, a "thinking" fisho will beat all the fancy gear in the world, technology just makes it easier to locate spots and sound the bottom better, I remember many trips to "the banks" off Greenwell Point when we couldn't find the place, if it was misty or rainy, you couldn't see the land marks, and if the big pro boats were not there, you were doomed!

• Like 2