Old days

noelm

This has given me inspiation to dig out some of my old artifacts.

My 1st ever rod was a Jarvis walker "Black Queen". Had a couple of hand me downs which caught enough fish which I sold to pensioners in a retirement village I passed walking to my fishing spots behind then Prince Henry Hospital at Little Bay.The rods of choice which I bought as blanks and made up were Butterworth MT 4144 for blackfish/bream, MT 7144 for spinning/tailor/salmon and small bottom feeders and a MT 8144 for snapper/drummer/groper etc. Also added later 2 sabre rods, one about 9 foot fast taper heavy for live baiting with a Polikansky o/head reel and a 6 footer for very light sportfishing 6lb class. Have all these rods 40+ years later. Will dig up some old lures and post up pics soon.

Jim

• Like 3

Way back in the dark ages, in a land far, far away, I started to fish. No commercially known gear though. A bamboo garden cane about 8ft long with a small slit in the thin end. A raid of Mum's Singer Sewing box provided reels of cotton thread and pins, The cotton thread (with a knot in the end) was attached to the cane. The pin was bent into a hook shape and tied directly to the cotton thread (no fancy knots either). A small stone tied on below a twig and the set up was complete. A few maggots, worms or bread dough and I was in business. Worked too! I used to catch all types of coarse fish in the ponds, canals, and streams of England. I almost wet myself laughing when I watch videos of modern-day anglers in the UK. They need a truck to cart all the gear they take fishing nowadays. Some time later I got on the consumer bandwagon and started buying my fishing gear. I never had TOO MUCH gear though, only what I needed. Still buying the odd item now and then, but (usually) out of necessity. Cheers, bn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Way back in the dark ages, in a land far, far away, I started to fish. No commercially known gear though. A bamboo garden cane about 8ft long with a small slit in the thin end. A raid of Mum's Singer Sewing box provided reels of cotton thread and pins, The cotton thread (with a knot in the end) was attached to the cane. The pin was bent into a hook shape and tied directly to the cotton thread (no fancy knots either). A small stone tied on below a twig and the set up was complete. A few maggots, worms or bread dough and I was in business. Worked too! I used to catch all types of coarse fish in the ponds, canals, and streams of England. I almost wet myself laughing when I watch videos of modern-day anglers in the UK. They need a truck to cart all the gear they take fishing nowadays. Some time later I got on the consumer bandwagon and started buying my fishing gear. I never had TOO MUCH gear though, only what I needed. Still buying the odd item now and then, but (usually) out of necessity. Cheers, bn

BN, are you saying that you started fishing with 2lb braid on a custom built rod with all organic baits ? ;) Most fishers nowadays start with a much simpler rig :)

Also, if you want to know what UK anglers feel - check regularly  e bay or gum tree - usually those fishing 'thrones' and complex 'military-grade' electronics are very cheaply for sale when expat leaves AU. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Couple of "Older Metals" certainly not as Old as other items put up on here in this thread.

Top one is a Pegron, great flicking out of a boat into washes.

Next one is unknown but is has a Pearl inlay, good on smaller chopper ETC.

Bottom one is a ABU Toby, great all round metal for both Casting and Trolling.

Fishjpg.jpg.18fe5aa1988d543c66f6a7a3f940e43d.jpg

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 3

On 7/3/2019 at 12:31 PM, noelm said:

Just back from rummaging around, and I have a couple of Shakespeare "Titan Whisker" reels (I think that's  what they were called) black Graphite body (that I suspect is just plastic) and a grey ceramic lip on the spool for better casting, just gave the handles a spin and they feel OK, the smaller one has a squeak though.

Digging around in the shed and found one of those "Titan Whisker" still works well for its age and the other is a Rear Drag Cardinal 3. 

Rear drag means "not very good" on this real. Not sure about others though.

IMG_3294.jpg.85d1052aa377c566f4db5e8e2b889d07.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

fantastic collection waza, got any old fishing books-like Wal Hardy?

Sorry for slow replies! Yes Paddy under pool table in a box somewhere! There are some photo's to come that have quite a few old Anglers Digest mags as "background" also- also old Gregory's Fishing Guide, Anglers Omnibus etc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Few  more and old wire style keep basket

j2 009.JPG

We used to use those Wire Baskets when we Blackfished up at Brisbane Waters when I was a Kid, that certainly brings back memories.

The rest is awesome and love those Smiths Jigs.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 1

A few Alvey's including a "VB" and a"Bundy Rum"  6 inch -green at left , then black in centre- the hook card is of original Mustad "Wide-Gape" hooks- one of the original 'circle' hooks- highly favoured by Deep sea fisho's for Flatties in particular- anyone thinking circle hooks are a "new" innovation- well this card of sizes is 55 years old!

j2 013.JPG

• Like 2

Old lures- from top left clockwise in- Devon minnow-'squared' body,Japanese commercial feather jig, WK 'Bristle' with retained hook and pink skirt, "golf ball lure", cork Bass plug,Baltic Bobber with molded-in hooks, O/Seas Squid spike (early one!) Pegron Tiger Minnow, 2 x Bucktail "Canada" Jigs and in centre good old Baltic Minnow

j2 015.JPG

• Like 3