Old days

noelm

Great old line "Weiss Perlon"- note not nylon but "Perlon" great abrasion resistance, made by Bayer Germany. Came to Aust in giant "hanks" and was spooled up above the shop (Weiss Supermarket) in Broadway (Sydney) line arrived in only 2 colours- either green or clear, then was dyed in the following colours: dark green, dark blue, light blue, red, pink, black, brown, sand and multi-colour. Available in any length you wanted from 50 mtr's to 5,000 mtr's, 2 lb to 250 lb. Weiss used to give free samples of requested line strength on these 'cards'. There was also a "2nd Grade" which was basically the same line, but not 'highly-polished' (which meant slightly uneven 'uniform' diameter. Second Grade was fantastic for handline fishing as it provided superior grip with wet hands. Still have a couple of 2nd Grade handlines I used to use for Flattie fishing outside. Have a couple of giant spools (about 2,500 mtr's) of both 4 and 8 kg "multi-colour

j2 022.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wazatherfisherman said:

This is the "culprit" that started me fishing (or one the same)- all you needed when I was a kid! Good old cork handline. This one was the "Recommended for Flathead" version. Even had a picture of the Flattie on it! Stretchy old nylon. Last one for today.

j2 019.JPG

remember those well!The Capstan Whirlaway was an interesting reel,designed by a Hungarian immigrant Frank PAtaky who owned a plastics moulding factory after the second world war, he was my dads first employer when he arrived off the boat in 1957 and his family and mine are still in touch. Back when Australians used to make stuff!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

remember those well!The Capstan Whirlaway was an interesting reel,designed by a Hungarian immigrant Frank PAtaky who owned a plastics moulding factory after the second world war, he was my dads first employer when he arrived off the boat in 1957 and his family and mine are still in touch. Back when Australians used to make stuff!!

That's a great part of our fishing history! Capstan and Austiplas were in competition making plastic spools, "hand-caster's" etc - Still have a couple of those photo's to add tomorrow. How interesting your dad was part of it. 

4 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

I think the Spook was more of a Surface Walker,not a Cup shape face, but could be wrong and the Super Duper the U Shape lure.

More memories, ....... fantastic.

Hi Blackfish- Yes you're right Spook is pointy-er rounded face- I just found a heap of unused freshwater lures in a giant Plano box and a couple of Spooks in there. all the lures in box are brand new I' ll put pics up tomorrow

Just saw the Hand line and yes I remember them well to.

I think there was one for Bream, with a picture of a Bream on the paper as well and I think there was one for Whiting and one for Jewfish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Just saw the Hand line and yes I remember them well to.

I think there was one for Bream, with a picture of a Bream on the paper as well and I think there was one for Whiting and one for Jewfish.

And one for Tailor with a wire trace and Limerick hook! This whole thread has brought back so many joyful memories for me of times past, back to early childhood fishing with handlines on Lake Illawarra at Windang Everybody (almost anyway) used the old cork handlines. I had a few dozen of the corks, but sanded them down to make Jewfish bobby's- wasn't thinking of "History" then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

An "Arrowhead" in centre, old Heddon (can't remember name- maybe "Spook") on left and classic "Super Duper" on right

j2 016.JPG

Did a bit of Googling and I think the Heddon is a Chugger Junior.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

And one for Tailor with a wire trace and Limerick hook! This whole thread has brought back so many joyful memories for me of times past, back to early childhood fishing with handlines on Lake Illawarra at Windang Everybody (almost anyway) used the old cork handlines. I had a few dozen of the corks, but sanded them down to make Jewfish bobby's- wasn't thinking of "History" then

Yes mate, for me also. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

I might have a square cork that was my father Snapper line here somewhere, they used to shape the cork and wind the line on in two directions at right angles, I can remember sitting in the front of the old row boat, and he would get a "run" the cork would be bouncing around on the floor as he fed line out to the fish, all his gear was kept in a bag, and old "hair oil" bottle for hooks, so they didn't go rusty, a bit of sheet lead, and one smaller line for catching bait, that's all he needed.

• Like 2

Just dreaming about my father Snapper fishing, in later years I got a 13' Easy rider boat with a 50 Merc (gees I hated that motor) after lunch if the tide was right, my father would row the little boat down the lake from our place, out the Little Lake entrance and get a sugar bag of sand for his "kellick" (anchor) row about half way along Barrack Point headland, throw out the sand bag anchor, get the little bait line out and burley with a slice of bread untill he caught a couple of Yellowtail, fillet them and get out the Snapper gear, he would catch 1 Snapper around 10lb and row home, have his fish cleaned and all washed up before I got home, with probably a rubbish catch of fish, because I had a motor, I would zip all over the place and never sit long enough to catch anything (so my father said) his old saying was "give a man a boat and oars he will catch fish, give him a motor and he will catch none"

Was the hair oil " Brylcream " OR " Californian poppy ".

This thread had given me so many memories and there are things on here that I never knew existed . Most of my old stuff has long gone somewhere else. But every now and then I think to myself, " yes I have one of them somewhere?. Keep it coming .

Frank

• Like 3

My grandfather used to keep his hooks in an old tobacco tin (he didn’t smoke) with a bit of talcum powder in it to help fight rust. The hooks weren’t stainless in those days but rust was rare if well looked after.

• Like 2

Just daydreaming about my father again, when I was little, we used to go looking for Red Crabs around the rocks at night, we used an old Brass Carbide light, Carbide for those that don't know, is what looks like rock, but, when you add water, it lets off Acetilyne gas (same as you use for steel cutting) anyway, these lamps had a kind of base, that you put Carbide in, and a little tank you put water in, between the water and the Carbide, was a little adjustable "valve" kind of thing, you adjusted the valve to drip just right amount of water to provide the gas for the lamp, it was extremely bright, but, every now and then, dad would start yelling to me to "look out" and he would toss the lamp as far as he could, as it erupted in a ball of flame, no idea what went on, I guess too much water dripped in or something, and it just exploded, I was way too young to know, but I was old enough to know that if dad was yelling, it was time to keep your head down!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 3