Old days

noelm

Framed hooks on size cards- years ago, when you wanted to buy hooks, you could go into the bigger tackle shops and they would usually have a folder full of these hook cards (Mustad Hooks)- if you weren't sure of the style or size you wanted, it was easy to look at the folder. Hooks were then either 'counted out' by the salesperson (usually sold in multiples of 10) or by the box, which were by the 100. Boxes were cardboard with waxed paper liners to prevent rust

Top left "Limerick" still in my opinion the best hooks for ganging, next right the popular gang hook in centre '4200'- 4190's on left of them regarded as "Standard" hook. Below left "French" pattern 540, the 542 (same hook but double strength) still popular "Pig" hooks. Bottom right are normal strength "Suicide" pattern, now commonly known as "Octopus" pattern (Octopus was actually a brand)

j2 036.JPG

Edited by wazatherfisherman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@wazatherfisherman that is seriously a fishing museum.

Unbelievable collection and thanks for sharing it all with us.

My pleasure Donna- it's no fun to have and not let people see it all, there is so much more including old Jarvis Walker rods, heaps (couldn't count the number) of lures, 70's spin reels etc. There's probably about 25+ 70 ltr boxes still under the house! As long as people enjoying seeing it I will post more pictures. Know a little bit of "history" about a lot of it and always happy to answer any questions

Regards Waza

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went fossicking around in the garage and found my fathers Snapper line, looks like about 15LB and has a bit of sheet lead squashed on it, hook has rusted badly, but is around a 3/0 plain bronze hook

7FF610E0-0980-45FF-834A-A53B73FD1FC5.jpeg

• Like 2

Also found his bait line and a bottle of hooks, still OK after more than 30 years. This gear was simply kept in a "sugar bag" along with a short knife and some lead, that was his entire tackle for fishing.

0A03436C-D532-4E67-926F-7668BA741E52.jpeg

033AE793-4A11-43F6-AF39-E044C4AAFE39.jpeg

• Like 2