Not really "collectable" however, not to be left out as "THE" connection from us to fish- variety of older mono spools

j3 more 015.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Geez, that's a awesome collection and every time I want to post I feel like I'm taking a Knife to a Gun fight 😀

So many to comment on but no time.

Below .....

Top one as Wazza said is a Wonder Wobler. Now the Wonder Wobbler is going on holidays next week and I doubt it will come back but I will try and get a couple of photos of different fish it catches before its lost, it will go down fighting.

Next is a Bourke Little Big Dig, another soft rubber the that was good on Bass,

Bottom, I can't remember, maybe a Heddon Hell Raiser ? but I'm sure someone will let us know. Though this one may  have been a copy.

fr.jpg.9eb47727c403a6543874fd59145f1844.jpg

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 1

Variety of old threadlines- the gold one right side back is a Daiwa GS 1 one of the first "external spool" reels on the Aust market- only a couple of years prior to it's release, spinning/threadline reels had the spool inside the housing, which left the possibility of line going down between the gap and tangling around the spool. I think the preceding Daiwa "Silver Series" was about the first external spool- got a couple of unused ones in boxes here somewhere

j3 more 016.JPG

• Like 1

Just for a laugh! Who'd have thought this would be a 'collectable'- no have never played it but Rex worthy of being in the collection for his contribution to Aussie fishing

j3 more 019.JPG

• Like 1

K-tel "Fishin' Magician" not exactly "Raider" tackle but part of our fishing history nevertheless!

j3 more 021.JPG

• Like 1

A "Surfmaster Avoca" on left, then a "Magnaflight", then "Offshore" then a rarer "Surfmaster"

j3 more 023.JPG

• Like 2

Famous "Seascape" came in 3 sizes and either 4, 5, or 6:1 retrieve speed. These reels were probably the reason "High-speed" spinning off the rocks became genuinely realistic. Also popular reel for jigging Kingfish

j3 more 025.JPG

• Like 2

A Jarvis Walker solid glass and a Len Butterworth solid- not sure of the age, because far older than me!

j3 more 028.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Have a look at the size of the Drummer

j3 more 002.JPG

Very nice photos.

It took me a while to find a fish though! 😁

• Haha 1

These headlights were part of the collection of reel turner Barry Langley of Kyogle- my original ones were pretty much the same. They ran on heavy batteries -mine were 4 or 6 x "D" cell and you had to wear a belt, otherwise they'd pull the old "stubbies" off, which happened the first time I wore the light climbing the Mattens cliff face about midnight- shorts came down while on the ropes about 80 ft up- had to "rope-burn slide" to "safety" on widest (15 inch) ledge. Scary moment!

j3 more 029.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, savit said:

Very nice photos.

It took me a while to find a fish though! 😁

Dual purpose photo!😉

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Have a look at the size of the Drummer

j3 more 002.JPG

What drummer? 😍

• Haha 1

A variety of wooden handcaster's many folk favoured these over rods n reels. Some were made in attractive timbers, often with the tapered body for casting ease

j3 more 031.JPG

• Like 2

Few more old style spinning reels, notice all have 'internal' spools rather than modern day external

j3 more 032.JPG

• Like 2

Back of spool shot showing why these "Nottingham style" reels were known as "Star-backs", probably thousands of these reels, from many,many makers, all over the world. Certainly heaps of different varieties made here in Aust. Used from Trout in freshwater to even deep sea game fishing (which usually had leather palm "brake-pad") - plenty of star-backs were home made

j3 more 036.JPG

• Like 2

It took literally about 5-7 days to produce split cane rods (per rod by small batch at a time) and builders were genuine crafts-person's to do the number of different processes involved, which also included turning/shaping foregrips, butts etc. Some builders 'signature mark' was actually the stylishly turned grip. No soft grips on most, until cork started to become utilised. Pre cork, heavy duty rods like game rods were leather bound for grips

j3 more 037.JPG

• Like 1

Iconic Alvey advertising from yesteryear, framed to protect the picture, as an Alvey lover myself, this picture "high" on my list of memorabilia!

j3 more 038.JPG

• Like 1