Old days

noelm

On 7/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Old lures- from top left clockwise in- Devon minnow-'squared' body,Japanese commercial feather jig, WK 'Bristle' with retained hook and pink skirt, "golf ball lure", cork Bass plug,Baltic Bobber with molded-in hooks, O/Seas Squid spike (early one!) Pegron Tiger Minnow, 2 x Bucktail "Canada" Jigs and in centre good old Baltic Minnow

j2 015.JPG

Baltic Minnow was my favourite..Redfin loved them. I made up a few of my own making a mould out of plaster of paris and pouring lead and painting and sealing with epoxy.

• Like 1

Just got this out from under the house- it's the head of a 16.5 kg Kingy I caught jigging at the Peak over 30 years ago, my first biggish one. Tackle used was a Butterworth "Jig King Deluxe" $45 off the shelf, Penn 113H Senator Special (star drag and about 3.5:1 ratio) too heavy a reel for jigging really, 15 kg Tortue mono tied straight onto the jig- a "Speed King Swivel Hip" identical to the one in the picture. Fight time was about 7-8 minutes

j4 more again 001.JPG

• Like 3

While where looking at "old stuff" can anyone suggest where I can get a Polikansky Overhead reel service at. I'm in Parramatta but will take it anywhere around Sydney or post further if necessary

Thanks Jim

Edited by jot

used lots of the reels on these pages we used to get my gear from st vincent de paul shop in mortdale ther even sold guns back then 

still have dads mitchel reels and his everol my brother has the older game reels and overheads my dad could sure cast them even the tattler always had the big gear out on the boat an old timber boat the my dad put a gearbox in it so we could go faster.it was mored in the georges in oatley

• Like 1

Got the following lures out of a big Plano box that probably has only been opened once in about last 20 years- some of them undoubtedly still available today. Top ones are 'swimming frogs' with rear half that spins on retrieve, then frog variations and 2 bottom left are Rebel 'Ant'

johns under house lures 002.JPG

• Like 1

Thought the Cotton Cordell deserved a spot on it's own, as it is one of the 'go-to' Bream lures we used to use in the Parramatta River when wading or fishing the shallower bays. Probably would still be almost first choice hardbody for Bream in this colour "Crawfish"- there is a smaller version called "Little O" which is great for the river- caught Whiting, Bream and Flatties, regardless of "non-aerodynamic" shape, it casts well (has metal bib) I think they are still made

johns under house lures 014.JPG

5 minutes ago, noelm said:

Got a couple of those myself, just on the "big O" wasn't there an S series, big S mini/midi? S or am I dreaming?

Hi Noelm no you're not dreaming! There were several series and a few similar like Shakespeare's version. Got a couple of the smallest sizes in Saltwater box

I have a few smallish lures called "Willies Worm" just a small plastic diving lure, I will get a photo tomorrow, they are/we're the best for Bream around the Oyster leases in Wogonga Inlet at Narooma, caught hundreds over the years, including one Snapper about 4KG which luckily swam away from the Oysters into open water, it was still a handful on 3KG line on a little threadline.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 1

Just thinking about those Oyster leases at Narooma (don't know if they are still there) we used to troll Willies Worms as close as we could, and when a fish hit the lure, we would turn the boat away from the snags to help pull the Bream and other assorted fish out, caught a thumping great Puffer Toad once too.