Old days

noelm

3 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just thinking about those Oyster leases at Narooma (don't know if they are still there) we used to troll Willies Worms as close as we could, and when a fish hit the lure, we would turn the boat away from the snags to help pull the Bream and other assorted fish out, caught a thumping great Puffer Toad once too.

After fishing Narooma convention and just loving the place, I was lucky enough to go there heaps of times, mostly out to Montague or Mystery Bay if Bar "unfriendly" did a little bit in the lake also when too rough for outside. Also went into the old gold mines from ground entrance and lowered down into the top from above (I was smallest!) really interesting and lovely place Narooma

Small Rebel an d Excalibur poppers, originally made for USA freshwater scene, but became popular here at the advent of "Whiting spinning"- lost a fair few to Trevally around the Tweed coast estuaries too- shouldn't throw them out on 2 and 3 kg mono as "big things" like them also

johns under house lures 024.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

After fishing Narooma convention and just loving the place, I was lucky enough to go there heaps of times, mostly out to Montague or Mystery Bay if Bar "unfriendly" did a little bit in the lake also when too rough for outside. Also went into the old gold mines from ground entrance and lowered down into the top from above (I was smallest!) really interesting and lovely place Narooma

We had family holidays at Narooma for years and years, about 6-7 families used to come, we all took a boat so we had everything covered, tinnies, big boats, ski boat, the lot, caught some memorable fish in the lake, Snapper, a big Tailor from the shore near Taylor's wharf, a  Whiting over 40cm long, great place for a holiday, one of my mates moved there, haven't seen him for a few years, wonder if he still lives there, maybe Jond might know him?

• Like 1

Is 48 years old, old enough ?. 1972 Pongrass Waverider, currently has 90hp Johnson extra long shaft on it's rear. Had to do a jack plate so the motor would fit on. Lots of fish come over the side of this one.

Going to buy a trailer for it tomorrow ( if it's suitable )  Boat currently up for sale as project boat.

1770216940_pongrass1.thumb.jpg.f0212b9e81146a0525fff52b5a7b4ca0.jpg

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Is 48 years old, old enough ?. 1972 Pongrass Waverider, currently has 90hp Johnson extra long shaft on it's rear. Had to do a jack plate so the motor would fit on. Lots of fish come over the side of this one.

Going to buy a trailer for it tomorrow ( if it's suitable )  Boat currently up for sale as project boat.

1770216940_pongrass1.thumb.jpg.f0212b9e81146a0525fff52b5a7b4ca0.jpg

Frank

Seen this one gummy i think. Was contemplating about this as my next project. But iv got my eyeon something else

Pongras were the go to boat at one time, before the Seafarer VC era, they were later bought out by a guy named (I think) Ross Freeman and renamed Freeline and much more modern designs came out, the 17' centre console was a very popular model, I saw a mint condition one the other day at the ramp.

• Like 1

Noel. The Pongrass were designed by Naval arcetehcs ( spelling ) and are still one of the best designs going, remarkable sea going boats. I caught many of my  firsts in these boats including my first marlin, cobia, kingfish, wahoo, etc etc etc , probably the smoothest ocean going boat I have been in including the seafaries  haines etc.

Only reason I'm selling it is so Val doesn't have the problem when I die.

Frank

• Like 1

I dug out a bunch of my old lures since I’ve got nothing better to do at the moment.

A bunch of Nilsmasters, once the go to lure for barra. I’d planned a big trip over to northwestern Australia back in ‘84, bought a heap of lures, changed to stronger trebles, made my own lures, quit my job, sold my 4wd, then 2 days before we were due to leave, my mate pulled out... so I hitchhiked to Qld instead and my life took another path. 😜

The 3 smaller Nilsmasters are Stalwarts and Spearheads but I can’t remember which is which. The rest are Invincibles in two sizes. I’m not sure what make the jointed rainbow trout pattern in the bottom right is, maybe Rapala. The three on the bottom left, I carved out of wood with stainless steel wire. They swim OK and were designed to be tough.

14299846-B228-4AEF-ABEA-0601F8D415E6.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I dug out a bunch of my old lures since I’ve got nothing better to do at the moment.

A bunch of Nilsmasters, once the go to lure for barra. I’d planned a big trip over to northwestern Australia back in ‘84, bought a heap of lures, changed to stronger trebles, made my own lures, quit my job, sold my 4wd, then 2 days before we were due to leave, my mate pulled out... so I hitchhiked to Qld instead and my life took another path. 😜

The 3 smaller Niksmasters are Stakwarts and Spearheads but I can’t remember which is which. The rest are Invincibles in two sizes. I’m not sure what make the jointed rainbow trout pattern in the bottom right is, maybe Rapala. The three on the bottom left, I carved out of wood with stainless steel wire. They swim OK and were designed to be tough.

14299846-B228-4AEF-ABEA-0601F8D415E6.jpeg

Hi Baz Spearheads 'pointy' edged Stalwarts rounded (top is Stalwart). The jointed diver in "Brown Trout" pattern looks like a Rebel. The Nilsmaster Invincible's were my favourite 'hardbody' due to you could both work and cast them really well with an Alvey. The orange jointed above "Trout" pattern was the "go-to" Bonito lure for years. My brother spun at Julianne (Little Bay) at least a couple of times (usually more) a week and never failed to get Bonnies on that lure in that colour, often he was the only 1 of quite a few blokes spinning to get any. Still have a couple in same and also blue Mackerel colour. There was also a small Invincible that was great for Flatties in pink colour

Your home made's look great too! Nice neat paint jobs also! Gives great satisfaction to catch fish on home-made lures eh!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Noel. The Pongrass were designed by Naval arcetehcs ( spelling ) and are still one of the best designs going, remarkable sea going boats. I caught many of my  firsts in these boats including my first marlin, cobia, kingfish, wahoo, etc etc etc , probably the smoothest ocean going boat I have been in including the seafaries  haines etc.

Only reason I'm selling it is so Val doesn't have the problem when I die.

Frank

Gees, that's a bit premature (I hope) making those sort of plans now.

Edited by noelm
Typo

4 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Baz Spearheads 'pointy' edged Stalwarts rounded (top is Stalwart). The jointed diver in "Brown Trout" pattern looks like a Rebel. The Nilsmaster Invincible's were my favourite 'hardbody' due to you could both work and cast them really well with an Alvey. The orange jointed above "Trout" pattern was the "go-to" Bonito lure for years. My brother spun at Julianne (Little Bay) at least a couple of times (usually more) a week and never failed to get Bonnies on that lure in that colour, often he was the only 1 of quite a few blokes spinning to get any. Still have a couple in same and also blue Mackerel colour. There was also a small Invincible that was great for Flatties in pink colour

Your home made's look great too! Nice neat paint jobs also! Gives great satisfaction to catch fish on home-made lures eh!

I have one of the ones top right, funny how lure "fashion" changes, certain lures were used almost exclusively, then something else pops up as the best lure ever made, then another brand or style.

Here's a really unusual old reel that I've never even seen a picture of before. Housemate John went to Nambour swap meet last Saturday and picked up a few reels for the collection. 

This one is a Pflueger saltwater- a bit on the heavy side, but built like a tank. Has a non-reversing handle

nambour swap meet reels 004.JPG

• Like 3