Old days

noelm

Just found an old fishing marks book my father had, probably well over 70 years old it would be, plus a photo of a Tuna my wife caught in about 1980, and the photo was put on a local fishing map, it was also a full page in a magazine.

6AA4D57F-1E58-4CDA-AFE5-37EEF95BE22D.jpeg

B3E88D65-35A7-4678-AFEF-DB8E4480BE0F.jpeg

• Like 3

The picture has some marks of a common well known spot off Shellharbour, and note it mentions a cargo shed, that shed was pulled down around 1955, so it might be hard to work out today.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TAZ said:

My Dads old Mitchel. I used to think it was amazing when I was a kid. I replaced the drag washer in it and it actually has a really good drag.  

IMG_20190811_083019_513.jpg

Hi TAZ there are quite a lot of collectors that love their Mitchell's. The chap that made most of my sidecast spools and has a great collection of Alvey's has a great collection of Mitchell's as well. Before Daiwa then Shakespeare were 'big' names in Aust, Mitchell, D.A.M and Penn were the 'benchmark' for quality in threadlines. Built to last

10 hours ago, Blackfish said:

You bought bak some great memories there Taz.

I had a Mitchell 301 (RH Model) I think the 300 was the LH one and on memory that 324 was the next one up, then you had the 499,the biggest.

As for the fishing knife, geez I recon I had one of those as well.

Good stuff.

Yeah mate that knife cut countless baits up and was used to clean who knows how many fish. She's pretty worn down. Just sits on my mantle these days. Id kick myself if I lost it. Too many good memories.

6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi TAZ there are quite a lot of collectors that love their Mitchell's. The chap that made most of my sidecast spools and has a great collection of Alvey's has a great collection of Mitchell's as well. Before Daiwa then Shakespeare were 'big' names in Aust, Mitchell, D.A.M and Penn were the 'benchmark' for quality in threadlines. Built to last

They were awesome reels in their day mate. My Dad caught heaps of trout on that reel. I got all his old fishing gear when he died, some was given to him from my Grandfather. Have my Gradads old cane creel from, gee, the 40's I think my Mum told me. I'll fish out some of the old lures tommorow. Have them somewhere. Should see some of the old rods, some with just 3 old wire guides. Far cry from the gear we have now. 

• Haha 1

My Dads old Devon lures. You guys who know them, you put a left spinning one on for several casts then a right spinning one on for the same amount to counteract line twist. My Dad had good success using those in the Goulborn River for trout. Back then as a kid though all I was intetested in was trying to catch the big freshwater crays I'd see on the banks just below the water line. 

IMG_20190814_204842_013.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi TAZ cool stuff you have there, all those lures would still catch just as many fish as they used to I reckon

Yeah mate I reckon they would too. Id hate to lose one though. Funny, I'm reminded of those days as a kid back on the Goulborn and Loddon river every time I see them. Great memories. I might cast one at something one day though. 

Forerunner to the popular Daiwa "Double Clutch" in the centre, these lures came to Australia (Darwin actually) as "rejects" from the Asian market. Tried as Barra lures and didn't have the right characteristics for that style of fishing. Somehow they ended up in my old local tackle store in Campsie and my group tried them out. Result- fantastic lures for Flathead both casting and trolling. Went back and between 4 of us bought the lot, which was a few dozen. Didn't have English language on the boxes so we didn't know what they were called or any info. Rang Daiwa to try and get some more (when we realised they were great for Bonnies etc)- they said as the lure wasn't accepted overseas, they wouldn't be making any more. Guess they were wrong about that! Original price about 20 years ago was $5-6 

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 004.JPG

• Like 1

Top one is a forerunner to the famous (to old spin fishers anyway!) LUK, below is a "half by quarter" with bevelled edges and an Alpha wobbler to the right- the red plastic tag on the rear split ring distinguished it from famous old "Wonder Wobbler" bottom pink squid is old, popular when bottom-bouncing leadhead jigs were around- got it from a bargain bin

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 006.JPG

Edited by wazatherfisherman
  • Like 2

Top three all Nilsmaster "Invincibles" bottom one is a Rebel "Husky Jerk" shallow version - this exact lure sat on the wall of the old barber shop in Murwillumbah for ages until my mate John bought it as we used to do heaps of Flathead luring- he often got it out and never got a fish on it, so we stirred him up about it, until one day at Wooli he got 9 Flathead in 9 casts! We the 'stirrers' got 1 each(from 100+ casts) even though we stood about 5 mtr's either side of him the whole time. The Flatties were chasing small Whiting in less than a mtr of water (stomach contents revealed this). Of course on returning to Sydney went out and bought a couple! No more stirring re lures!

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 009.JPG

• Like 1

Can't remember what the top lure is called. Anybody? Next one down is a large version of the Wonder Wobbler with added prism-flash. Below are 2 more unusual coloured Rebel Crawfish (shallow versions) put the 5c coin in to show how tiny the 'Devon-style' wired spinner is- smallest I've ever seen, in fact one of the smallest lures around. For younger fishers, the green thing is what we used to use to catch Squid, way before they became "Egi"! Used to work fine

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 011.JPG

• Like 1

Fishing reel "evolution"- the "Silver Series" from Daiwa were one of the first "external spool" threadlines in Australia. They had 'ball bearings' and a range of features not seen in this type of reel- no more line caught behind the spool like could happen on the internal (in housing) spool type. Bottom left was the 'prestige' range, a Daiwa "Gold Series" this tiny one held about 120 mtr's of 4 lb mono. The one above it is a 1000 series- brand new with box, also had a "snap-off" spool button for quick change. Bottom right was the largest a 7000C made in Japan, still a quality reel made to last (it's about 42 years old now)

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 014.JPG

• Like 4

After the Daiwa's came the Shakespeare "Blue Series"- 4 different sizes- these were also made in Japan and had features like: fold down bail arms, manual or auto trip for bail arm, snap-off spools, quick change right/left retrieve (there was an extra handle bolt in he handle arm for converting reeling side), high speed gearing, quality drag systems etc etc. They were a huge seller and were (along with the previous Daiwa's) "revolutionary" for the Australian spinning reel scene/market. Updated version was the "Green Series" with an even smaller model- the 2499- about equivalent to say a '500' size reel. Great reel for 1 kg line and a favourite of mine. Post photo shortly of one. 3rd series were maroon/red same features and sizes as the green ones. The tiny 2499 model is prized by collectors worldwide 

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 016.JPG

• Like 2

From right to left old Penn "Longbeach" one of my first overhead reels, still works like new, got superseded as gear ratio far too slow for jigging. Middle is Penn Jigmaster 500L with Aluminium spool, a little battered around but still in good working order- 36 years old, very popular as a jig reel. Left hand side Shimano "Speedmaster" 6 to 1 ratio, great for casting or jigging has an excellent drag for a reel made about 25 years ago. Great reel to use still.

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 018.JPG

• Like 2