Old days

noelm

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Noel yes there were- 3 spool varieties, plastic, metal then aluminium. 4 to 1 ratio. The one above has the "one-piece take-apart spool"

Had a few Jigmasters over the years, you could pull them to bits with a thumb screw and a twist of the side plate, pretty nifty in its day, unfortunately the gears couldn't cope with big heavy jigs and large Kingfish, so I switched to 4/0 wide Senators, with 40LB line.

We had the job masters as bottom bashing reels. They were used for near on 30 years never serviced lol

I think we still have them somewhere but all the drag systems have seen better days. I did send one away to Penn Fenwick to be repaired but it was never the same. There is also one on the bottom somewhere in about 25 metres of water off Gerroa. That was the last time grandfather just laid a rod on the floor hanging over the side............. 

On 8/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Apologies for a couple of blurred photo's will take better ones shortly! Want to keep this thread going as lots of folk (including me!) enjoying it

I'll try to get some photos up as well Waza but it won't be for a couple of weeks as I'm going away to "Field test" some more old lures ..... wish them luck.😄

3 hours ago, Blackfish said:

I'll try to get some photos up as well Waza but it won't be for a couple of weeks as I'm going away to "Field test" some more old lures ..... wish them luck.😄

Look forward to seeing your reports! Best of luck- hope you both get fish on them (or any lures!) and bring them home safely. Old stuff is still around, but not always easy to replace a 'favourite'!

Left an old Jarke 3 piece cane fly rod. I know nothing about it other than the old bloke that owned it back in the 90's had it for a while. He passed away and it was going to be thrown in the tip. I can't fiind any info on it. Right an Abu, Swedish made, fly rod from the early 70's.

IMG_20190819_232700.jpg

• Like 3

My Grandfather's old fishing creel. When he died in the early 60's it was given to my Dad and when he died it became mine. My Mum said her father used to love going fishing at Port Philip bay on the jetties. As a kid with my dad he always took with us fishing. I must have sat on that hundreds of times with a rod in my hand catching reddies and trout I reckon as a kid. Probably close to 90 yrs old I think it is. 

IMG_20190821_111747.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Fishing reel "evolution"- the "Silver Series" from Daiwa were one of the first "external spool" threadlines in Australia. They had 'ball bearings' and a range of features not seen in this type of reel- no more line caught behind the spool like could happen on the internal (in housing) spool type. Bottom left was the 'prestige' range, a Daiwa "Gold Series" this tiny one held about 120 mtr's of 4 lb mono. The one above it is a 1000 series- brand new with box, also had a "snap-off" spool button for quick change. Bottom right was the largest a 7000C made in Japan, still a quality reel made to last (it's about 42 years old now)

johns green spinfisher shakespeares 014.JPG

WOW... so many memories seeing that particular shiny silver... it actually brought a nostalgic tear to my eye !    I had a 5000C, 20lb mono on a 12ft brown berkley beach rod with cork grip .... man o man... so many memories just came back.  THANK YOU !

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

WOW... so many memories seeing that particular shiny silver... it actually brought a nostalgic tear to my eye !    I had a 5000C, 20lb mono on a 12ft brown berkley beach rod with cork grip .... man o man... so many memories just came back.  THANK YOU !

Cheers Zoran

Hi Zoran am trying to keep this thread going-  invokes great memories for many of us! I have tons more stuff to put on yet- reels, rods and sooo many old lures

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Just been scrolling through & saw this, l was sharing a house in Currarong for a few years with Paul Baker who was skippering Pegasus....some great jumbos caught back then. l have a few pics from then

On 7/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, Blackfish said:

After reading those post on the Pro's running out of the South Coast chasing Yellowfin on Rods and Reels I remembered one article I read a few years ago and found it. I would think after seeing the dates on here this may have been towards the end of that Era.

This was in "Fishing World" September 1990 and the boat was "Pegasus"

yf.thumb.jpg.4c3358f2f235845233206a0a298517cc.jpg

Edited by curra
add text

I remember Pegasus well. There was a couple of regular pro boats over the years, the most “famous” was of course Ajax, and Hunky too, Melicent, and a bunch of others that came and went.