Woodsy1

Port Stephens-Back on the Water

Recommended Posts

No fishing for nearly 3 months  while my boat was In getting some work done on it. It was hard specially when we normally go out every week or 2 and I have Scratchie messaging me pictures of fish he is getting and how good the conditions are and asking if my boat is ready yet. 

So finally the plan was to meet Scratchie at little beach at 5.30, I couldn’t help myself I got there about 4.50am got the boat ready and then waited for Jeff. The wind was blowing a bit harder then was predicted we headed out to our first stop to get some some bait but 20mins of searching and trying we couldn’t get any. So off to Broughton we go, we pulled up at our first stop had a small drift and realised we weren’t really on the right ledge so moved just a very small distance started drift then bang like normal Scratchie is on and it looks ok (I must say it was netted perfectly haha,  you get a lot of practice netting while fishing with Scratchie) it was in the 60’s range. Another drift and I get a small one just legal then nothing at all so a move to one of our spots that usually pays off, 5 or 6 drifts and dozens of plastic changes and not even a hit, so off we go again to a new spot that Scratchie wanted to try where we got a few hits but couldn’t bring anything in. So we moved again to another 3 spots the bait board was filling up with all the different plastic we were trying. So we got to the last spot  and had 1 drift for nothing we shifted over a little bit for another and I put on this tiny little beaten up plastic prawn ( only the size of a Hawkesbury school prawn)threw it out and bang it was screaming off a little bit of a fight and in it came a 70s model  so we had to have another drift now then off course Scratchie loads up again for another 60s model and we called it a day. 

I couldn’t count how many casts and plastic changes we made today and moves to different spots to try and track down the fish 

what a great day 

Woodsy

289D7F48-2789-4196-B4F5-E66DC4F97577.jpeg

2CC7BFFB-21FB-4C24-BEAB-C24E7FD77DFA.jpeg

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result at the end and a very nice Sunrise photo to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff, Woodsy! Put in the yards and got the results! Interesting that you got yours when you switched to a prawn model. I bought some Squidgy paddle prawns yesterday after seeing them on a fishing show the other day. These are a bit bigger though at 110mm. Thought they’d be worth a shot.

I thought I might get out tomorrow after dropping the missus in Newcastle at 5am to get the train to Sydney but it looks like I’ve got more dramas to deal with. We’ll see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice report woodsy  glad your back on the water  might i suggest handcuffs or cable ties  that will stop him catchin so many   hahaha

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giddy up Woodsy! Good to see you get your weapon back! I could see your face beaming as I drive to the ramp! 

A pretty spot on report of day! There was that many changes of sps, the bait board looked like a kids art and craft table! 

Although the fishing was pretty slow, we did fairly well with a few good sized fish and missed a few opportunities! 

The current was running so hard downhill our usual go to spot wasn’t holding bait! But we moved around and for a half day effort not bad! 

Heard the bite was good late afternoon, so that might explain why we needed so many casts! 

Until next time thanks champ! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Blackfish and baz

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice report woodsy  glad your back on the water  might i suggest handcuffs or cable ties  that will stop him catchin so many   hahaha

That could be something I could try.

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

 

Heard the bite was good late afternoon, so that might explain why we needed so many casts! 

Until next time thanks champ! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Well that's interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Woodsy1 what bait where you after? I know of a couple of spots that holds slimies, yakkas and bonito year round if you're interested. Picked up 3 bonito in a couple of minutes on Sat morn on the way to broughton. Plenty of free bait for a days fishing 👌

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wcurrall said:

@Woodsy1 what bait where you after? I know of a couple of spots that holds slimies, yakkas and bonito year round if you're interested. Picked up 3 bonito in a couple of minutes on Sat morn on the way to broughton. Plenty of free bait for a days fishing 👌

Hi wcurrall we were just gunna get some slimmies, it wasn't to important as we intended to throw plastics but we normally put a livie out. Is your spot out around Boondelbah Island and Little Island or somewhere else.

Woodsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes just around the islands mate, south side of boondelbah for slimies, have never missed, and theres a ridge on northern side of little island heading towards broughton for bonito/mack tuna on bullets. A lot of people only try around the hole in the wall which is very hit and miss, thought it was worth a mention

Nice fish, we kept ketting smashed on plastics by coota on Sat 😥 but at least got 10 or so sand flatties for a feed

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report and good to see your persistence paid off.

Its nice getting a fish or two in a spot you know produces but I really enjoy prospecting new areas that just look like they should hold fish - a bit more of the hunting aspect I guess and seeing whether your instincts are right

Fil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @jnrfinatic

3 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Great report and good to see your persistence paid off.

Its nice getting a fish or two in a spot you know produces but I really enjoy prospecting new areas that just look like they should hold fish - a bit more of the hunting aspect I guess and seeing whether your instincts are right

Fil

Thanks mate, Yeah it was like that yesterday, we really had to hunt for them

Woodsy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report Woodsy, I know the hurt of having my boat off the water and seeing nice fish being caught... Torture isn't.

Well done boys, got a decent feed at least. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report. Terrific sunrise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great fish there, perseverance paid off with the "Snapper Master." :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, garfield28 said:

I know the hurt of having my boat off the water and seeing nice fish being caught... Torture isn’t 

It definitely was torture.

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report. Terrific sunrise.

It was a beautiful sunrise and that is another great thing about fishing seeing beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

21 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Great fish there, perseverance paid off with the "Snapper Master." :D

We definitely stuck at it Yowie. We may need to add the word perseverance to Scratchie’s saying about the 6 p’s, prior planing and preparation prevents piss pour performance 

Woodsy

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not been fishing for ages! Reading the reports of success, after the let down of the get-together, reminds me that persistence often pays off. Glad that you're back in business and will look forward to some more interesting reports down the track. Cheers, bn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Not been fishing for ages! Reading the reports of success, after the let down of the get-together, reminds me that persistence often pays off. Glad that you're back in business and will look forward to some more interesting reports down the track. Cheers, bn

Thanks Big Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woodsy1 said:

It definitely was torture.

It was a beautiful sunrise and that is another great thing about fishing seeing beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

We definitely stuck at it Yowie. We may need to add the word perseverance to Scratchie’s saying about the 6 p’s, Prior Planing and Preparation Prevents Piss Pour Performance 

Woodsy

 

Well, I count 7 P's so Scratchie can't count his Pees:074:      :beersmile:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome report and fish guys! You deserve that after 3 months no fishing?!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Well, I count 7 P's so Scratchie can't count his Pees:074:      :beersmile:

Haha lucky he can fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Some nice fish there fellas 👍 have the cuttle fish started spawning there yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yowie said:

Well, I count 7 P's so Scratchie can't count his Pees:074:      :beersmile:

Haha! Was never good at maths! 

But 

1.proper

2.preparation

3. Prevents

4.piss 

5. Poor

6. Performance! 

I’m sure that’s 6??? 🤔 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Haha! Was never good at maths! 

But 

1.proper

2.preparation

3. Prevents

4.piss 

5. Poor

6. Performance! 

I’m sure that’s 6??? 🤔 

 

Lol. Looks like Woodsy paraphrased it to get 7. 😂😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, quintrex52 said:


Some nice fish there fellas 👍 have the cuttle fish started spawning there yet?

Thanks and I didn't see any sign of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,423
    • Total Posts
      525,395