Wyangala Report

Headed to Wyangala Dam for the AYC Cod Classic over the weekend. 

After weeks of good weather, low winds and a steady barometer we were due for a change and as so often happens the weather turned nasty during the competition. 

With a dropping barometer, severe winds, pouring rain forecast it was a short bite period on the Saturday morning that produced the goods for us before the wind and rain hit. 

We had picked a bank to fish and headed off in the dark at around 4:30am. 2 hours passed without as much as a bump.

As we fished our way along the bank we started noticing more fish activity and birds working the bait schools. 

FD3989C9-4A5F-421A-9E01-3943809E6A7B.thumb.jpeg.b3ed687b2f3cb9e28b179cd5620f2aaf.jpeg

From 6:30am to 8:30am we had an excellent session producing 4 fish ranging between 75cm and 99cm.

All fish were caught on Jackall gigantarel swimbaits fishing between 3-5m of water. 

F5B3AFF5-6F1A-48B9-BB68-D5873EA22259.thumb.jpeg.bc60c4a2cadfb252dee6dc7ca837fc9f.jpeg

The dam fished pretty tough over the weekend so we were pretty happy with our results. 

958C2BF8-330E-4661-BB5D-F0730AD41069.thumb.jpeg.faa45466af113560773f0b0f9437aca3.jpeg

60+ teams fished the competition catching 40 cod with the winning fish coming in at 106cm.

Cheers for reading, Trav

• Like 9

Nice work Trav, catching catching 4 solid fish like that between you, it probably only takes a little bit of extra luck on the day for a good result to turn into a great result!

A lot of boats would have done it tough, but 5 over a metre shows great winter fishing potential!

It gathering little pieces to the puzzle here and there, bird activity is one i’m going to keep an eye on.

cheers,

Gus

• Like 1

Top stuff guys, you've certainly got the Cod dialed in.

You do need to learn how a fisherman uses a measuring tape though, first time i think I've ever seen a fish called at 99cm. Angle them right, stretch a little, a slight crumple in the mat, squint your eyes and suddenly they are a meter on the dot haha.

Cheers

Rich

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great session & fish in tough conditions , good effort, bummer being shy by 70mm😎

Cheers mate 70mm was definitely easier to take than the poor buggers that lost by a couple of mm

4 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Top stuff guys, you've certainly got the Cod dialed in.

You do need to learn how a fisherman uses a measuring tape though, first time i think I've ever seen a fish called at 99cm. Angle them right, stretch a little, a slight crumple in the mat, squint your eyes and suddenly they are a meter on the dot haha.

Cheers

Rich

Been pretty lucky the last few trips but I don't post all the donuts haha.

Hahahaha you're right Rich I do need to learn that art I haven't managed a metre cod this season but have 2 x 99cm models.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...