jnrfinatic

Haines Hunter Seawasp Thread

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, thanks to @Ah Me Ting for telling me to start a thread about my new boat. It's a Haines Hunter Seawasp with a 40hp yammie fitted to it. 

On Sunday, we went out to test the boat and we had a ball. We launched at Tom Uglys boat ramp and my dad tought me how to use a tiller steer motor. My brother and I loved driving it so much that we were begging dad to go out and test it again on Monday. Even though we had school 😂😂😂. Max speed then was around 35kmh because of a problem with the yammie. Now that dads fixed it, it goes around 65kmh. Basically everything on the boat is done, apart from the rails, the electronics and the 2 extra fuel tanks in the front. Hoping to head out for reds on Saturday and I'll keep you updated on that.

Edited by jnrfinatic
  • Like 1

Onya champ!

Love the youthful enthusiasm. 

65kmh will get you into trouble really quick if your not careful. Remember, boats don't have brakes! 

And, despite what your mates my tell you, the anchor us not a brake substitute. Don't ever let it hit the water (attached to the boat) when travelling anything above a few knots.

On that, start thinking in nautical terms. Knots, nautical miles, port, starboard, etc. It will help you when you progress to bigger boats and if you ever want get your coxswains ticket or other maritime licences.

And remember, a picture speaks a thousand words!

Add your before pics here so you have a long term record. 

2 minutes ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Onya champ!

Love the youthful enthusiasm. 

65kmh will get you into trouble really quick if your not careful. Remember, boats don't have brakes! 

And, despite what your mates my tell you, the anchor us not a brake substitute. Don't ever let it hit the water (attached to the boat) when travelling anything above a few knots.

On that, start thinking in nautical terms. Knots, nautical miles, port, starboard, etc. It will help you when you progress to bigger boats and if you ever want get your coxswains ticket or other maritime licences.

Thanks alot @Ah Me Ting. I'll make sure to use the 'nautical terms' alot more. Dads gonna be with me everytime I go fishing, so if anything goes wrong he'll know what to do! Hopefully that never happens. 

And remember, a picture speaks a thousand words!

Add your before pics here so you have a long term record. 

Just thinking of doing that mate. As a matter of fact, I'll post pics right now

• Like 1

You people are going to think I'm crazy, but dads got 2 new Haines Hunters coming. Dont know the name of em, but as soon as I find out, I'll let use know.

7 minutes ago, jnrfinatic said:

Thanks alot @Ah Me Ting. I'll make sure to use the 'nautical terms' alot more. Dads gonna be with me everytime I go fishing, so if anything goes wrong he'll know what to do! Hopefully that never happens. 

Cool.

Do you have a boat licence? If not, when are you getting it?

And, just remember, out fishing your Dad might bring bragging rights, but may also bring other issues. Do you like cleaning fish? Washing down the boat? Doing other household chores? 

Cool.

And, just remember, out fishing your Dad might bring bragging rights, but may also bring other issues. Do you like cleaning fish? Washing down the boat? Doing other household chores? 

I actually love washing down the boat and I'm also learning about how to fillet fish like flatties, snapper, kings etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ah Me Ting said:

Cool.

I'm 11 now and I just asked dad what age I have to be to get the license and he said 12 and I'm turning 12 this year, in September 

Just now, jnrfinatic said:

I'm 11 now and I just asked dad what age I have to be to get the license and he said 12 and I'm turning 12 this year, in September 

Get the boating handbook and start studying it!

Learn the rules, navigation markers, etc and then when out in the boat have an active discussion with your dad about what is relevant for where you are, what markers you see etc. 

The "theory" will become "practical" in no time and you'll pass your test easily.

Just remember, not everyone driving a boat knows the rules though. It can be fun 'spotting the idiot' ... Just don't let them run into you!

Get the boating handbook and start studying it!

Learn the rules, navigation markers, etc and then when out in the boat have an active discussion with your dad about what is relevant for where you are, what markers you see etc. 

The "theory" will become "practical" in no time and you'll pass your test easily.

Just remember, not everyone driving a boat knows the rules though. It can be fun 'spotting the idiot' ... Just don't let them run into you!

Sure thing mate. I'd just like to say thanks for telling me all this about fishing and boating. I really do appreciate it. 👍👍

• Like 1

I've got a game fishing book at home by Glen Booth and AL Mcglashan, it's called 'the complete guide to game fishing' and I read it every night before bed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jnrfinatic said:

Sure thing mate. I'd just like to say thanks for telling me all this about fishing and boating. I really do appreciate it. 👍👍

All good champ. I'm sure a few of the other long time boaties on this forum will chime in soon. 

Your enthusiasm is great. 

I started out boating about your age, and have had a lifetime of it. My Dad taught me, then his mates showed me more, and pushed the boundaries. At 14 I had to bring a boat home (525 Milligan Nipper, 75hp outboard) through a whitewater bar because the skipper went down with kidney stones. I'd been trained, taught, how to handle the boat and got us home. 

Boating, fishing etc is good fun and can be a lifetime pursuit. Heck, it can be a good career, job too!

7 minutes ago, jnrfinatic said:

I've got a game fishing book at home by Glen Booth and AL Mcglashan, it's called 'the complete guide to game fishing' and I read it every night before bed.

Hahaha ... The old fishos on here will have plenty of knowledge to pass onto you. 

Just ask! 

Just now, Ah Me Ting said:

All good champ. I'm sure a few of the other long time boaties on this forum will chime in soon. 

Your enthusiasm is great. 

I started out boating about your age, and have had a lifetime of it. My Dad taught me, then his mates showed me more, and pushed the boundaries. At 14 I had to bring a boat home (525 Milligan Nipper, 75hp outboard) through a whitewater bar because the skipper went down with kidney stones. I'd been trained, taught, how to handle the boat and got us home. 

Boating, fishing etc is good fun and can be a lifetime pursuit. Heck, it can be a good career, job too!

Wow, what a true legend u are. 14 and already going across a bar, good on you. Sad to know the skipper went down. But u were trained and tought properly.

Enjoy all that quality time with your dad mate.   The good thing with the boat licence now is they scrapped the junior licence.  So you have a full licence with some restrictions.   So when you hit 16 you won’t need to do it again. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jnrfinatic said:

Wow, what a true legend u are. 14 and already going across a bar, good on you. Sad to know the skipper went down. But u were trained and tought properly.

No legend mate.

Just lucky I got to learn while young. 

From where you sit, 11, going on 12, what you'll learn in the next 3 years boating can have doing it too.

Heck. Where I live now, a few local kids, yr 9, yr 10 kids, skoot out and fish nearshore reefs on good days in their 'tinnies' ... Open boats with 15hp engines. 

I suspect you'll be one of them in your area by that time too.

21 minutes ago, Ah Me Ting said:

No legend mate.

Just lucky I got to learn while young. 

From where you sit, 11, going on 12, what you'll learn in the next 3 years boating can have doing it too.

Heck. Where I live now, a few local kids, yr 9, yr 10 kids, skoot out and fish nearshore reefs on good days in their 'tinnies' ... Open boats with 15hp engines. 

I suspect you'll be one of them in your area by that time too.

Maybe, maybe not, Hopefully not. By the time I'm in Yr 10 or 11, I'm hoping to have a 5m centre console. Like my friends say 'I do everything different'

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a little Yellow Sea wasp about 10 years ago when m kids were younger. Had some amazing experiences towing it around the country and our images still appear in tourism magazines, infact that little boat was used in a Xmas current affair show after whales popped up under it one day. The boat was quite capable offshore too.

My daughter sitting in the front on this picture is now keeping an eye out for a little sea was of her own now.

IMG_2853.thumb.PNG.45d2b0e022cd0f9798c6fd4955abc34e.PNG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonD said:

I had a little Yellow Sea wasp about 10 years ago when m kids were younger. Had some amazing experiences towing it around the country and our images still appear in tourism magazines, infact that little boat was used in a Xmas current affair show after whales popped up under it one day. The boat was quite capable offshore too.

My daughter sitting in the front on this picture is now keeping an eye out for a little sea was of her own now.

IMG_2853.thumb.PNG.45d2b0e022cd0f9798c6fd4955abc34e.PNG

They are an incredible boat, especially performance wise. Cant wait to take it offshore in a couple of months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnrfinatic said:

They are an incredible boat, especially performance wise. Cant wait to take it offshore in a couple of months. 

My only complaint was climbing in over the stern after diving could lower the boat enough to cop a bit of water. Getting crew to move forward improved things but often I had to get to the back to help people in.

Posted (edited)

I said I was gonna keep you updated and so I am

Headed put yesterday night to BB on a dead flat day, it was beautiful. We grabbed 2 bags of pillies and no other bait because the place we went, you didnt need anything but pillies. We got there and my dad immediately through put a squidgy soft plastic and he hooked up to what we think was a king. Lost it.

2mins after, there were bust ups everywhere. Literally. A king went airborne and attacked a squid. We soon had to leave because of rain. But we'll be going out to Middle Harbour later on tonight and if I catch anything then I'll keep use updated!

Edited by jnrfinatic
  • Like 3

Any further work on boat?

How do to store your rods while underway?