murray cod robinvale

phill81

Hi Raiders,

Passing through Robinvale over the weekend. Planning on camping at the caravan park by the river. Has anyone ever fished here? i'm not much of a freshwater fisherman so i guess i will toss a few lures and see how we go. I have also heard cheese is an OK bait. Any advice on how to catch and release my first cod would be great.

cheers 

G'day Phill81. I've fished at Robinvale a few times but not had any luck on the Cod. Probably the best bet, given the time of year, would be to set up your 2 rods...1 baited with cubes of cheese and the other with a decent slice of chicken. You can use a running sinker straight to the hook or a paternoster rig, both work well. The Murray River comes under NSW fishing license so if you have one you are permitted the 2 rods. You have to stay within 50m of the rods. Often fishing close to the edges and when the sun is high is ok in Winter time. Size 3/0 or 4/0 hooks will do, Cod have big mouths. Good luck, bn

• Like 1

thanks heaps for that advice, will try that. not sure whether there are many cod in that section of the river but will give it a try. Even if i just spend time on the bank in a camp chair and a beer and catch nothing i will be happy. A cod would be icing on the cake though. :) 

5 hours ago, phill81 said:

thanks heaps for that advice, will try that. not sure whether there are many cod in that section of the river but will give it a try. Even if i just spend time on the bank in a camp chair and a beer and catch nothing i will be happy. A cod would be icing on the cake though. :) 

There are Cod there and big ones too. They often get spotted while they are traveling through the weir fish gates. You could be there at just the right time and catch your first. Good luck. bn

• Thanks 1