Haikus Anyone?

Berleyguts

There are two things I do that help keep me sane. Fishing; and singing and playing guitar. I haven’t had much opportunity to do either lately, for one reason or another. However, I was bored at work today and tried jotting down some lyrics for a possible future song. I got a few verses out but any way I tried to sing them in my head sounded like a song from another artist (a favourite of mine). So, the lyrics go on file for later...

Then I decided to try writing a few haikus, something I haven’t done since early high school, I believe. A haiku is a Japanese style of poem consisting of 3 lines, containing 5 syllables on the 1st line, 7 syllables on the 2nd line and 5 syllables on the 3rd line. Traditionally, they are usually about nature but I decided to write a few about fishing and also ended up writing a couple about some other things in my life at the moment. I thought long and hard about publishing some of them here but... what the hell!  Enjoy (if it’s your thing) and feel free to add your own haikus!

Winter Snapper

Pre-dawn ocean swell.

Powerful pink fish hunting.

Winter snapper time!

Winter Snapper Fun

Misty pre-dawn sea.

Humpbacks breaching, oh, so close.

Winter snapper fun.

Mulloway

River currents run.

Silver ghosts hunting below.

Mighty mulloway!

Flathead

Hidden in the sand.

Eyes watching all that swims by.

Flathead pounce on prey.

Tinnitus

Ringing in the ears.

Relieved by rain on the roof.

Tinnitus - a curse.

Black Dog

He lives in sadness.

Smiles ease the pain just briefly.

Always seems so blue.

Black Dog Boy

A son lies in pain.

Parents long to help their boy.

Black dog has no bounds.

Bipolar

Happy times are bliss.

Melancholy seems the norm.

Bipolar nightmare.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 6

Joining in with your bit of fun Baz. Can't wait till your cd comes out...get on it!

Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area  (might have to find another name for next year)

No water no more

Fish stress at MAX

Yellowbelly and Cod

Murray Darling Basin Plan

Robbing folks upon the land

Murrumbidgee too!

Not sure whether these fit the criteria for a Haiku... but they give a feeling for the worsening water situation in what used to be a major food production area of NSW. bn

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Joining in with your bit of fun Baz. Can't wait till your cd comes out...get on it!

Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area  (might have to find another name for next year)

No water no more

Fish stress at MAX

Yellowbelly and Cod

Murray Darling Basin Plan

Robbing folks upon the land

Murrumbidgee too!

Not sure whether these fit the criteria for a Haiku... but they give a feeling for the worsening water situation in what used to be a major food production area of NSW. bn

Good effort, Neil! 5-7-5 (syllables) is the model for a haiku, so with a little tweaking you could get this:

No water no more.

Fish are stressed at maximum.

Golden perch and cod.

Murray Darling Plan.

Robbing folks upon the land.

Murrumbidgee too!

😎

• Thanks 1

Well done Baz,

Doesn't take a genius to see that you've got a bit on your plate at the moment.

Takes some courage to talk about difficult things.

Didn't know you were a guitarist/vocalist  - we have something else aside from fishing in common.

What are your musical tastes?

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Well done Baz,

Doesn't take a genius to see that you've got a bit on your plate at the moment.

Takes some courage to talk about difficult things.

Didn't know you were a guitarist/vocalist  - we have something else aside from fishing in common.

What are your musical tastes?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. Yeah, when someone close to you is hurting and needs help, you sometimes have to put your own life on hold. Making progress, albeit slowly.

My musical tastes are varied. My favourite artist by far would have to be Richard Clapton. His songs, right through to his current catalogue mean so much to me. He wears his heart on his sleeve and so do I. I love the songwriters and storytellers: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Bruce Springsteen etc. I also enjoy The Rolling Stones (Keef is gonna live forever! 😂), Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and more. I’m mostly stuck in the 60s and 70s but I was listening to Nirvana yesterday. Country and blues are also in my playlist. Talking about melancholy, I can listen to Tom Waits for hours! Myself, I tend to play more folk/country style and the songs I have written (rarely played) generally slot into those genres. I’m basically just a guy who strums an acoustic and likes to sing, wishing he could play lead like Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Ian Moss or Dave Leslie! My main guitar is a 1983 Ovation and I also have a Fender Telecaster standard (Mexican) and a cheap acoustic 12 string that rarely gets played (it’s OK around the campfire). I haven’t written a song to completion for years (might have to lock myself away in a cabin sometime 😂) but here’s a demo I recorded (the only thing I’ve recorded) way back in ‘94 about the Sydney bushfires at the time:

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Jim. Yeah, when someone close to you is hurting and needs help, you sometimes have to put your own life on hold. Making progress, albeit slowly.

My musical tastes are varied. My favourite artist by far would have to be Richard Clapton. His songs, right through to his current catalogue mean so much to me. He wears his heart on his sleeve and so do I. I love the songwriters and storytellers: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Bruce Springsteen etc. I also enjoy The Rolling Stones (Keef is gonna live forever! 😂), Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and more. I’m mostly stuck in the 60s and 70s but I was listening to Nirvana yesterday. Country and blues are also in my playlist. Talking about melancholy, I can listen to Tom Waits for hours! Myself, I tend to play more folk/country style and the songs I have written (rarely played) generally slot into those genres. I’m basically just a guy who strums an acoustic and likes to sing, wishing he could play lead like Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Ian Moss or Dave Leslie! My main guitar is a 1983 Ovation and I also have a Fender Telecaster standard (Mexican) and a cheap acoustic 12 string that rarely gets played (it’s OK around the campfire). I haven’t written a song to completion for years (might have to lock myself away in a cabin sometime 😂) but here’s a demo I recorded (the only thing I’ve recorded) way back in ‘94 about the Sydney bushfires at the time:

Nice One Baz...

It has a Redgum/ Ghost Riders feel to it.  Just the right feel for Aussie bushfires. The mix is very well done... was it in a studio?

My big 4 old time artists would be Dylan, James Taylor, Cat Stevens and The Beatles and that's mainly because that what my voice can cope with.  There's not a lot I don't listen to.  All the great guitarist of course....you know who they are!

I have an American Strat and a Tommy Emanuel signature series Maton.  These days I seem to have very little time for music.... I pick up the guitar every so often and I am as rusty as can be.      "Some day everything is gonna be dif'rent"  ( that will test your Dylan knowledge!)

My brother's daughter put video this together when he passed away. ( I think I may have posted this once before)

Its my vocals and guitar but pretty much everything else was my brother ( I think he may even have overdubbed the main guitar without telling me -LOL)  From memory we passed files between each other recorded on tascam porta studios as he was  O/S at the time.

Anyway. It means a lot to his kids and mine.

Cheers

JIm

Edited by fragmeister
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Nice One Baz...

It has a Redgum/ Ghost Riders feel to it.  Just the right feel for Aussie bushfires. The mix is very well done... was it in a studio?

My big 4 old time artists would be Dylan, James Taylor, Cat Stevens and The Beatles and that's mainly because that what my voice can cope with.  There's not a lot I don't listen to.  All the great guitarist of course....you know who they are!

I have an American Strat and a Tommy Emanuel signature series Maton.  These days I seem to have very little time for music.... I pick up the guitar every so often and I am as rusty as can be.      "Some day everything is gonna be dif'rent"  ( that will test your Dylan knowledge!)

My brother's daughter put video this together when he passed away. ( I think I may have posted this once before)

Its my vocals and guitar but pretty much everything else was my brother ( I think he may even have overdubbed the main guitar without telling me -LOL)  From memory we passed files between each other recorded on tascam porta studios as he was  O/S at the time.

Anyway. It means a lot to his kids and mine.

Cheers

JIm

Thanks Jim,

Yeah, I’ve been told I sometimes sound like John Schumann! 😂 One of the reasons I like Ralph so much (apart from the great lyrics) is that most of his songs suit my voice... although I tend to drop down a half or full step these days. I don’t have the range I used to and the lung capacity is not what it could be.... I’ll put it down to asthma and bronchitis but it’s probabaly got more to do with bourbon and cigarettes years ago! 😂 So I’m really getting into Tom Waits lately! 😂 Check out a guy on YouTube called Bob Malvasio - he’s a Canadian with a gravelly voice and does lots of great acoustic covers (and originals). He has often inspired me to tackle songs I wouldn’t have bothered with on acoustic. 😉

I can’t seem to get your link to play but that could be because I’m sitting in my car trying to sync my phone book to the Bluetooth head unit.

Edited by Berleyguts

@fragmeister Jim - I just played it. sounds great! I don’t know much about recording and mixing. Back around the time I wrote it, I’d won a $240 prize at work as an encouragement for a business suggestion I made... that bought me 6 hours in the studio! This was recorded at A# Recording Studio. I had a lot of help from the sound engineer, Jeff Cripps (formerly percussion with Ol’ 55, I think), who played lead, bass, synth and percussion. I played acoustic guitar and sang lead and BVs (3 part harmonies 😎). I’m not really happy with my guitar playing!

Edited by Berleyguts

17 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Hey Baz I Wanted to send you a private message but you must have it on private do you wanna see if you can change the settings

Woodsy

Hmmm... I had a PM earlier. I’ll have a look. Maybe my mailbox is full?

When I can’t get out fishing, I try to get down to the water as often as I can, just to watch and think. I sometimes jump in the car and go out to Fingal Bay or Boat Harbour to spot whales and check out the ocean. Sometimes I visit Nelson Bay breakwall to see how the bream and luderick are running but most often I just wander down the road to The Anchorage resort breakwall, not far from home:

Along The Breakwall

Quiet morning stroll.

Dolphins greet me, hunting prey.

Peace, just down the road.

I might try and write one haiku per day. Try it... I’m finding it quite therapeutic! 🙂

• Like 1

Today’s haiku (it’s all I got 😂):

Constipation

Here I sit. Can’t sh!t.

Prune juice? I don’t like the taste.

Might try liquorice.

Come on, people! Have a go at writing your own! Any topic. 😎😂

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
12 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Berleyguts Baz, condolences to you and your family. I was informed that you lost a family member recently. Black Dog is relentless. 

Stewy and I and all raiders send our condolences. As Little Flatty and Blackfish said "yell if if there is anything we can do". 

Thank you Donna and @Little_Flatty and @Blackfish and @Burger. Yes, I lost my “little mate” at 30 years old on the weekend. He will be deeply missed but we find solace in knowing that he is finally at peace. The black dog is a right bitch. 😔  This is why I have not been so active on Fishraider lately. I have rarely been fishing because I felt I needed to stay at home with my wife as much as possible. I think I’ve only had my boat in the water 4 times since Covid started! I’m pretty sure a move from my beloved Port Stephens back to Sydney is on the cards within the next 12 months. As we already downsized here, it looks like we’ll only be able to afford a unit (not taking on another mortgage at our age!), so I’ll probably have to sell the boat. Secretly hoping I can afford a bigger boat (that I can live aboard on) to keep on a marina here, so I can still visit and get to Broughton. 🤫 But we have to farewell our boy first. I wouldn’t wish this experience on my worst enemy. However, we find solace and strength in the countless messages and calls of support. Hug your loved ones. Often. And don’t be afraid or ashamed to talk about mental health. Seek help if you need it. Offer help if you can. 🫂 

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

Thank you Donna and @Little_Flatty and @Blackfish and @Burger. Yes, I lost my “little mate” at 30 years old on the weekend. He will be deeply missed but we find solace in knowing that he is finally at peace. The black dog is a right bitch. 😔  This is why I have not been so active on Fishraider lately. I have rarely been fishing because I felt I needed to stay at home with my wife as much as possible. I think I’ve only had my boat in the water 4 times since Covid started! I’m pretty sure a move from my beloved Port Stephens back to Sydney is on the cards within the next 12 months. As we already downsized here, it looks like we’ll only be able to afford a unit (not taking on another mortgage at our age!), so I’ll probably have to sell the boat. Secretly hoping I can afford a bigger boat (that I can live aboard on) to keep on a marina here, so I can still visit and get to Broughton. 🤫 But we have to farewell our boy first. I wouldn’t wish this experience on my worst enemy. However, we find solace and strength in the countless messages and calls of support. Hug your loved ones. Often. And don’t be afraid or ashamed to talk about mental health. Seek help if you need it. Offer help if you can. 🫂 

So, so sorry to hear that Baz. That's just the most awful news I've heard all week.

Rest assured, you'll have plenty of friends to fish with if you move to Sydney, when you're ready to venture out again. Not quite the calibre of Port Stephens fish, but some very, very good fishing all the same.

In the meantime, try to look after yourself and your wife. Fishing will always be there waiting for you to return.

• Like 4