Launch retrieve in the dark

blaxland

Thinking of getting serious about snapper but most pundits say an hour before or after Dawn/sunset. I dont have flood lights on the boat and was thinking of getting magnetic torches to stick on the pylon where I launch I always go solo and like to get close to the pontoon any advice?

• Like 1

I usually fish solo and never use lights when launching. I turn my headlights off when approaching and reversing down the ramp but leave my parking lights on. There is enough light from the moon and stars , lights around the ramp and the car tail lights and trailer lights to see what I’m doing. It helps to have your boat and trailer well set up, of course. Use of torches and headlamps, IMO, just ruins your night vision, and everyone else’s, for a half an hour or more. Look after your night vision. 😉 Turn the brightness down on your sounder/plotter, too. 😉

• Like 4

I don't have any fixed lights but regularly return after dark ( through Narooma bar ). I do however use these lights meeting Aus legal requirements https://www.railblaza.com/products/navipack/.  What I like about these is that I can place them high so that the light doesn't distract my vision negotiating poor sea conditions, my eyes adjust to the dark and not the lights from my boat ( sounder plotter is on very dark settings at night). 

By simply buying a few bases my daughter can use the same lighting on her kayak on our local lake and inlet after dark too. 

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

Hi blaxland  i do a lot of fishin in dark for reds  i travel from fishing spots to anchorages around broughton isl at night  really depending on moon phases you will have some light  rule of thumb for me is turn down brightness on sounder an gps  if you have a safe track to where you are going follow that on zoomed in screen  stay on track  i dont use any form of light till im at anchorage then use headlamps to anchor or moor  broughton is fairly remote  but if fishing sydney or built up areas there is always some light or reflected light to see by when travelling   launching and retrieving is different you can use as much light as you want   a tip is once you have  launched and are ready to leave in dark  turn all lights off turn down brightness on devices  then close your eyes for 20 or 30 seconds to get your night vision back

• Like 2

Turn your lights off and let your eyes adjust-a head torch is a great idea when you need to see something up close, and PLEASE turn your car headlights off when you are launching or retrieving in the dark , nothing worse when you are trying to launch and the guy already on the ramp has left his car headlights on.I alwatys find my car and trailer reversing and brake lights give me more than enough illumination to make sure i dont screw up the launch

• Like 1

I didn't mention but the lights I recommend are higher than my head height, meaning I can legally travel at night and have no influence from them, it's like driving in the dark.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Turn your lights off and let your eyes adjust-a head torch is a great idea when you need to see something up close, and PLEASE turn your car headlights off when you are launching or retrieving in the dark , nothing worse when you are trying to launch and the guy already on the ramp has left his car headlights on.I alwatys find my car and trailer reversing and brake lights give me more than enough illumination to make sure i dont screw up the launch

People leaving headlights on when launching is so annoying.

I am planning on putting an extra reversing light down low on my car, the light coming from the reversing lights on my car isn’t quite enough to reverse back easily. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Welster said:

I am planning on putting an extra reversing light down low on my car, the light coming from the reversing lights on my car isn’t quite enough to reverse back easily. 

My trailer lights are pretty bright. Don’t need any more. 😉

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Welster said:

At times i think a big spottie mounted on the rear of my trailer to blind the people who leave their headlights on would be excellent

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I have 2  led spotties as reversing lights  mskes boat ramps look like daytime  they are only small but geez their bright

I think that’s the go.   My driveway is over 40 metres long.   It would help heaps with reversing up it.