Bluefin

JonD

The fin seem a little scattered with fish from JB to Tathra. Today a fish of 132kg was landed and apparently one boat released over 60 fish by lunch time yesterday. Mixed among the fish down here in the south are still dolphin fish, albacore and yellowfin. My daughter knocked this little barrel over yesterday in under 10mins from the southern seamount east of Bermi. A full day of fish after fish was different from today's scattered fish. The albacore are responding to jigs very well.IMG_2862.thumb.JPG.492d0510e103e47398769da23115bda7.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG.e6fc85cdbb7ba9c3efcd08311d671e15.JPG

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Great photos Jon and a fish of 132kg is certainly a great fish.

How big was your daughters and is that a Torpedo float there.

Georgias was a small one of around 50kg ( the smallest of the day).

Yes correct about the float, they had a charter mix of spearo's and line anglers, the spearo's shot two.

1 minute ago, JonD said:

No, I had done a 230km trip in it the day before, for 0.

Jon, I remember your rib is very fuel-efficient. May I  ask you how much fuel was required to cover that distance?

1 hour ago, savit said:

Jon, I remember your rib is very fuel-efficient. May I  ask you how much fuel was required to cover that distance?

No problem. I work off the fact I have a 100 lt fuel tank, my engine is nmea 2000 networked to my Lowrance hds. This gives me lots of fuel use options, which I permanently have showing on my head unit. Litres per hour and kilometres per litre use are constantly showing and changing depending on how I drive the boat. Under a heavy load at a cruise of 40kh I'm burning about 1 litre per 2.7km, this can be up to 3.5km per litre with a light load. So setting my trip to 0 on leaving I know I have a safe 250km range at my worst economy.  Fuel burn for the day was a whopping 74lt, shared between three of us😀

This last big trip was the biggest I've ever done in a day and only did so because of the weather conditions. Both wind and current were in my favour for my run home and due to the lighter load my fuel economy was increased. If the conditions hadn't been in my favour I simply wouldn't of done such a distance. I also keep a close eye on my boat fuel gauge.

Any boat can have issues, infact yesterday one needed assistance and I believe one is still under tow right now from today on its way back to Bermagui. People tend to think a bigger engine will be more reliable but often they have more things that can go wrong in my opinion. The little rib is far safer than most glass or aluminium boats which is why comercial vessels have inflatable life rafts. I also log on with marine rescue notifying them of my location or changes made during a trip. 

Im currently enquiring about a twin engine rib for added offshore security. 

Edited by JonD
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, JonD said:

No problem. I work off the fact I have a 100 lt fuel tank, my engine is nmea 2000 networked to my Lowrance hds. This gives me lots of fuel use options, which I permanently have showing on my head unit. Litres per hour and kilometres per litre use are constantly showing and changing depending on how I drive the boat. Under a heavy load at a cruise of 40kh I'm burning about 1 litre per 2.7km, this can be up to 3.5km per litre with a light load. So setting my trip to 0 on leaving I know I have a safe 250km range at my worst economy.  Fuel burn for the day was a whopping 74lt, shared between three of us😀

This last big trip was the biggest I've ever done in a day and only did so because of the weather conditions. Both wind and current were in my favour for my run home and due to the lighter load my fuel economy was increased. If the conditions hadn't been in my favour I simply wouldn't of done such a distance. I also keep a close eye on my boat fuel gauge.

Any boat can have issues, infact yesterday one needed assistance and I believe one is still under tow right now from today on its way back to Bermagui. People tend to think a bigger engine will be more reliable but often they have more things that can go wrong in my opinion. The little rib is far safer than most glass or aluminium boats which is why comercial vessels have inflatable life rafts. I also log on with marine rescue notifying them of my location or changes made during a trip. 

Im currently enquiring about a twin engine rib for added offshore security. 

Thanks Jon. 

Are you giving up with Ocean Cylinders?  I presume both boat cost and fuel expenses will be higher in that case?

8 hours ago, savit said:

Thanks Jon. 

Are you giving up with Ocean Cylinders?  I presume both boat cost and fuel expenses will be higher in that case?

One of our local maritime officers has just received a new ocean cylinder, meaning his rib which has been extremely well looked after is coming onto the market. If it was the other way around with the cylinder coming on the market I would be interested too. I'm just wanting to get into a comercial vessel as cost effective as possible as I only intend to work with very small groups of clients ( mostly research work ).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, papafish said:

Nice one guys! Are u a charter by any chance 😉

No but my daughter is working on one at the moment ( among other things). We mostly fish out of a 5.2 m rib.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, JonD said:

they had a charter mix of spearo's and line anglers, the spearo's shot two.

Someone could offer me $1,000,000 to jump off a boat that far out to spear a fish & I'd still knock it back :unsure: 

Nice looking fish thought 👍

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Someone could offer me $1,000,000 to jump off a boat that far out to spear a fish & I'd still knock it back :unsure: 

Nice looking fish thought 👍

Though she spears and has speared bluefin this year, these fish were caught on rod and line. Fishraider don't allow spearfishing threads which I fully respect.

Jumping in offshore to film bluefin is far less risky than inshore in my opinion. Due to the speed these tuna travel, its very rare to find any sharks with them. 

Edited by JonD
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, JonD said:

Fishraider don't allow spearfishing threads

Glad you mentioned it I didn't know that! Could be a can of worms why and why not I guess..

On 7/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, JonD said:

Jumping in offshore to film bluefin is far less risky than inshore in my opinion. Due to the speed these tuna travel, its very rare to find any sharks with them. 

Not sure I'd like to be with those large tuna alone, let alone sharks!