Whales and Flathead off Sydney

saltrix

It was foggy on the  road but at Roseville ramp it was clear.

Tried a troll around  Dobroyd but only managed a salmon.

Had a bit of a troll around North Head but the swell was up a bit so did not want to get too close in. It was a bit foggy as well.

heads-7-7-19.thumb.jpg.6ccf8a9e51d9f3c41dca2b4e8c744929.jpg

Got a bit of a fright when  about 1km out as a whale leapt into the air about 50m away and did a half somersault.

Then headed out to Dee Why wide  and fished in about 55m for a good feed of flathead, they were all a good size, the biggest measuring 63cm and was a very heavy fish.

This was my catch, my mate did almost as well and had  a pansized red also.

heads-fish-7-7-19.thumb.jpg.6195d52e3e4a0486bed83aa509c4fe07.jpg

Thanks to a post on facebook the kingfish were copping a hammering with dozens of boats around Middle Harbour

• Like 9

Thanks for the report which got me thinking "do whales know what's above them when they breach high from the water?" Has anybody heard of small craft being hit by them? I was pondering this very question last week when I was staying at a place on the Northern Beaches and watched numerous whales "frolicking" offshore. Cheers, bn

The previous weekend off  Dee Why and Harbord was a similar story of breaching whales and plenty of good sized flathead on the chew. Winter fishing off Sydney can be very rewarding.

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for the report which got me thinking "do whales know what's above them when they breach high from the water?" Has anybody heard of small craft being hit by them? I was pondering this very question last week when I was staying at a place on the Northern Beaches and watched numerous whales "frolicking" offshore. Cheers, bn

Occasionaly they do whack a boat, Steve Starling had footage of when he got whacked a few years back, personally im not a fan of travelling in the dark at this time of the year- i dont think whales are all that bright but my method is make a s much noise as possible - motor on, sounder on when they are nearby- although i have heard stories of the male ones getting a bit stroppy with noise making boats- its an ever increasing hazard.

• Thanks 1

If you take a close look it is actually a Marbled Flathead, different tail markings and a streaky brown skin without the blue spots.

At this spot off Dee Why the usual mix is one marbled to every 2 bluespots, still a good feed and a nice fish.

Thanks for your comments.

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-08/man-injured-in-wa-whale-collision/11287168

• Thanks 1