Whitsundays camping trip in August

crusher87

Hi guys/girls, 

We’re going camping on Hook island (Whitsundays) in a month for a week and I was seeing if anyone had any marks or advice to share for the area? 

I’m thinking of heading to leeper shoal and jester reef (near Deloraine island) or would it be better getting out to the GBR (weather permitting)? 

Also seeing if it’s worth running down to Edward and yuindalla islands? 

I’ve fished the area a few years ago and got mackerel, trout, long tail tuna around dolphin point and mackerel bay but it was fairly tough given it’s such a large area to fish. 

Any advice would be much appreciated 👍

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fair run out to the reef up there, what size boat and fuel range do you have?

I towed a boat up there a few years ago after the big floods where dirty brown water reached 30km offshore. Unfortunately I found very few fish and had to shelter from the the wind around the islands.

I went off a few marks from the Fishfinder magazine. Sorry can't help.

Thanks for getting back to me JonD. We’ve got 2 x 6m centre cabs with 200L fuel tanks. The reef is around 60km so shouldn’t be a problem on a good day. 

There should be mackerel around the islands this time of year so hopefully we get onto a few. Thanks mate 

45 minutes ago, crusher87 said:

Thanks for getting back to me JonD. We’ve got 2 x 6m centre cabs with 200L fuel tanks. The reef is around 60km so shouldn’t be a problem on a good day. 

There should be mackerel around the islands this time of year so hopefully we get onto a few. Thanks mate 

I did manage one mackerel even from the brown water in close.We ended up doing a trip out to the reef on a tour boat which was a 90km 2.5hr run to the area they had facilities at. 

Ive fished Lady Musgrave to the south, infact I should of been there this past week but pulled the pin due to the weather. If you get a chance to fish out of 1770 I personally didn't find it to hard finding a few fish out that way.

Looking forward to seeing a report.

Edited by JonD