VHF radio

adkel53

I am looking at replacing the old 27 meg radio on my boat with a VHF one . I only ever venture a couple of km offshore. 

Looking at these models:

Icom IC-M200 VHF - $279

Uniden VHF  UM455 - $249

GME GX700B VHF - $249

Will need an aerial and mount at around $85 but installation will be free.

Anyone had experience with any of these models and cares to tell me what you think of it?

Have also considered this hand held model.

ICOM M25 EURO HANDHELD VHF RADIO - $249

Any thoughts on the merits (or otherwise) of a hand held vs fixed VHF radio for inshore communication?

Fixed unit has much better range, and doesn't get left at home, Mount the aerial as high as possible, buy the longest one you can, most of those brands are OK, GME has a kind of advantage in that you can buy matching FM radio too, you also need a "license" to operate a VHF, though it's not officially a license, and lots don't bother getting one.

Hi,

Steer clear of Uniden. Buy a GME, either a hand held or a fixed unit. Believe me I have dealt with all types of radios over the years and GME are the best. Shop around for a good deal.

Cheers.

GME is an Australian company too - at least as far as I know.

Standard Horizon GX2200E is a good unit, but twice the price of the others you are considering......lots of additional fruit if you are going a long way out.

Icom are Japanese built and commonly used in comercial and government body boats and land based stations. I've had three gme radios fail but never an issue with icom.  Almost every boat I've ever bought has had gme fitted which I leave untill they fail, then replace with icom.

Gme customer service has always been very helpful but unfortunately out of warranty simply means buy another.