Garie Beach school holiday

Coswecanfly

This morning after the missus left for work me and the little one headed down to Garie Beach in the Royal National Park for some father daughter time (read: a fish and play on the beach).  First bait hit the water at about 11:00 and not long after the rod bent over and the big overhead casting reel screamed. Went 68cm.  Just after lunch I noticed a big school of fish swimming toward where my bait was and walked closer to the rod. As I got there it bent double. Didn't measure the smaller number but when I knocked the fillets off it had NINE yakkas in its belly. Big one had an empty stomach. No wonder it pulled so hard. 

Got home, had fresh fish, chips and peas for dinner and turned the rest into pickled fish. Lunches sorted for the rest of the week. 

20190709_160349.jpg

20190709_180121.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Scratchie. These guys didn't have much of a chance though. I share one overhead reel between my beach rod and my heavy boat, kingie rod. So 12kg mono on a Shimano Torium made sure they came out nice and quick.  😂

Nice one, I had a smaller Salmon on the bbq whole the other day (~40cm) and loved it.. a little garlic and herb but nothing real much, no bone issues, I much prefer them to bream! But gotta love the fight the best!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, Coswecanfly said:

Thanks Saltrix. 

This is a basic recipe I doubled for this batch. You can then ad things like chilli or other pickling Spices as per your tastes. Lasts weeks in the fridge so you can just grab some in the morning to take to work for lunch. 

https://www.rainbowcooking.co.nz/recipes/Cape-pickled-fish 

Whack your recipes into The Kitchen @Coswecanfly :)

• Like 1