Lowrance HDS7 Live - anyone have one?

Berleyguts

Do any Raiders have a HD7 Live combo? If so, I’d be interested in your feedback. Does it read OK at speed or does the transducer flip up?

My Humminbird 798ci has always flipped up at speed, giving ridiculous depth readings and I’d have to pop it back down into the bracket when I slowed down. I have been through 2 brackets. Eventually, I fitted the locking screw to stop the kick up but yesterday, the transducer mount broke and so did the cable connected to the transducer. Now the ducer is on the bottom of the ocean somewhere between Cabbage Tree and Broughton Islands! 🤬 A new transducer and mount will cost me around $500. I’m reluctant to buy a new transducer if I’m going to have the same problems with it flipping up, so, even though I can’t really afford it (can’t afford the $500 either!), I was wondering if it’s worth upgrading to a HDS7 - they are around $1500. I’m going to have to save for a while either way but I’ve had the Humminbird for 7 or 8 years now so maybe it’s time.

So, if you have a HDS7 Live, does the transducer stay in position and does it read OK at speed?

Thanks.

Here’s a pic of all that’s left of my transducer and the type of readings you get in less than 30m of water when it’s just wires dragging in the water!

C705F2C7-2069-44E3-B071-15D135395323.jpeg

D42EE978-0C09-4379-A99B-E6592BDE114A.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

Ive got the HDS Gen 2 which im looking to upgrade- getting a quote on that and full rewire of boat next week- ive not had any issues with my two transducers in 7 years of pretty hard work-ive got the Side Scan and the 600W 50/200 on the back, $500 for a new 'ducer sounds a lot - i know the Lowrance ones are in the $300 ball park even for the side scan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Ive got the HDS Gen 2 which im looking to upgrade- getting a quote on that and full rewire of boat next week- ive not had any issues with my two transducers in 7 years of pretty hard work-ive got the Side Scan and the 600W 50/200 on the back, $500 for a new 'ducer sounds a lot - i know the Lowrance ones are in the $300 ball park even for the side scan

Yeah, $500 including bracket/mount from the distributors, BLA. I haven’t researched prices elsewhere yet. I’m reluctant to spend $500 on a ‘ducer if it’s going to have the same problem, so leaning towards the HDS, which is bigger and looks pretty good, with chirp too. If I had the space on my console, I could keep the Humminbird as just a plotter and get optimum use of  the full screen on the Lowrance, I guess.

Actually, to replace with the same transducer/mount is $489 from BLA. However, there’s another one that is supposed to suit with a metal bracket but that’s $649. I wonder if the metal bracket fixes the flipping up issue. 🤔

126C9965-214D-4E7B-8236-8CCB7B10FDF4.png

2161748C-9154-4C41-B4D6-FB074E639358.png

Edited by Berleyguts

I've been using a hds 12 gen 3 and looking at Garmin for my next purchase after 15 years and 10 different Lowrance units. I believe Lowrance don't repair anymore in Au and my dealings of late have quite frankly been very disappointing. My unit developed an issue over 12 months ago after a software update, this was an issue many people also had with the 12 inch models. Lowrance told me this is a common issue and to wait for a fix, which now they deny and now I have no warranty. 

Side by side comparisons between Lowrance and Garmin clearly show Garmin have far better detail and clarity in my opinion. Check the resolution when comparing brands. A 7inch is very small if you decide to do sidescan of any kind. Also the live transducer is very expensive ( seem to recall around $1500). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonD said:

I've been using a hds 12 gen 3 and looking at Garmin for my next purchase after 15 years and 10 different Lowrance units. I believe Lowrance don't repair anymore in Au and my dealings of late have quite frankly been very disappointing. My unit developed an issue over 12 months ago after a software update, this was an issue many people also had with the 12 inch models. Lowrance told me this is a common issue and to wait for a fix, which now they deny and now I have no warranty. 

Side by side comparisons between Lowrance and Garmin clearly show Garmin have far better detail and clarity in my opinion. Check the resolution when comparing brands. A 7inch is very small if you decide to do sidescan of any kind. Also the live transducer is very expensive ( seem to recall around $1500). 

My Humminbird 798ci with side imaging is only a 5” screen, so 7” would be an improvement. $1499 for the HDS7 Live, club price at my local chain 3 letter store, including transducer. I don’t think I have room for a 9 or 12 inch screen on my little console. No room in my bank account either! I’m happy enough with the Humminbird... except for the problem with the ‘ducer flipping up all the time (and eventually fluttering to the bottom of the ocean!).

46 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Oh, I see. It comes with a transducer but the “Live” one is an option. Deceiving.

To add to The deceiving, when I asked if my transducers and point 1 nmea 2000 would fit into a simrad unit Lowrance told me they would. What they didn't mention was they won't work unless navico decide to bring out software updates in the future to allow this.

Hey burleyguts

I have the 997c si, with pretty much the exact transducer in the second pic above with the metal bracket..

Still have the same issues at speed with depth reads, if it helps.

I would be saving up and getting the lowrance 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, J0nn0 said:

Hey burleyguts

I have the 997c si, with pretty much the exact transducer in the second pic above with the metal bracket..

Still have the same issues at speed with depth reads, if it helps.

I would be saving up and getting the lowrance 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks Jon. Does it flip up all the time, too? I may have set mine too deep trying to get it to read at speed. I’ve been reading some US forums and a lot of those guys use a second through hull transducer for reading at speed. Might be an option in a glass boat but not really possible in a tinny. 

I’ve been thinking that my finances will dictate me just buying a new transducer for the HB and living with it.  The missus will surely notice a whole new sounder! And then I’d be wanting to buy the optional Live transducer too!

18 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Jon. Does it flip up all the time, too? I may have set mine too deep trying to get it to read at speed. I’ve been reading some US forums and a lot of those guys use a second through hull transducer for reading at speed. Might be an option in a glass boat but not really possible in a tinny. 

I’ve been thinking that my finances will dictate me just buying a new transducer for the HB and living with it.  The missus will surely notice a whole new sounder! And then I’d be wanting to buy the optional Live transducer too!

It doesn’t flip up, but it must move enough that it does incorrectly read a ridiculous depth at speed.

Could be interference from the prop too maybe? Mine that is.

either way, you could always go with the old saying.....

its better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission, and get the lowrance

🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by J0nn0
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J0nn0 said:

It doesn’t flip up, but it must move enough that it does incorrectly read a ridiculous depth at speed.

Could be interference from the prop too maybe? Mine that is.

either way, you could always go with the old saying.....

its better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission, and get the lowrance

🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, or I could say “I need a through hull transducer so I can get depth readings at speed. You wouldn’t want me to hit a reef would you?” So, it’s a safety thing and I need to get a new glass boat to do that. 😂

• Haha 1