E.T.

My fishy story was I entered a triple M comp about your best dad moment and mine was fishing with the kids and getting my daughter her first fish by catching it and while she wasn't looking I hooked it onto her line and let her reel it in and I won a new 2016 Camry SX.

sold it and bought my current boat.

• Like 9

On 7/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, E.T. said:

Woah! What fish is that? Black Spotted Rock Cod?

I was actually thinking my mystery giant was a big ray. It's the only thing I can think of that is wide enough to get snagged on all the lines. Either that or its the Hawkesbury River Monster haha!!

Yeah think its a black cod -was mainly concerned about getting it back in the drink-it bit my son (holding the fish) veery nicely right through the gloves he was wearing but it went off fighting fit- we did cheat however- it swum into a crap pot- and ate 3 blue swimmers in the pot! I reckon there are more of them than we realise in Cowan.

• Like 1

Another "semi fluke "" capture for me was this jewie I caught on a jig in Moreton Bay , marked some bait and bigger fish on the sounder , both my young bloke and I hooked up but I got mine (thinking all the way to the boat I'd hooked a small cobia) and he lost his. 

IMG_0484.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

My fishy story was I entered a triple M comp about your best dad moment and mine was fishing with the kids and getting my daughter her first fish by catching it and while she wasn't looking I hooked it onto her line and let her reel it in and I won a new 2016 Camry SX.

sold it and bought my current boat.

I won a free fishing holiday to Lord Howe Island back in 1990 by subscribing to Fishing World magazine. For the competition, you had to say why you’d like to win a trip to LHI. My wedding was coming up in October. My entry read:

No more line cuts on my fingers,

No more bait stains on my clothes.

Soon my left hand wears a ring

And maybe, too, my nose!

But before I meet the preacher,

Before I take those vows,

All I ask is just one thing...

And that’s to fish Lord Howe!

When I won, I thought it would make a great honeymoon but the missus didn’t want to come, so I went on my own two weeks before the wedding. Seven nights on the island with four days gamefishing on Capella. I had an absolute ball! I think it was the last solo fishing trip I’ve been away on in 29 years! The sacrifices we make! 😂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of years ago my old man and i headed to Wyangla for their annual comp. The old mans mate and his wife had already gone the day before and found us a nice little point to set up camp. They had caught a couple of small yellowbelly of said point prior to us getting there releasing them all.

The next morning while having breakfast i caught a little yellowbelly and released him.

As true as i sit here now the following afternoon while we were packing up to head home following an unsuccessful comp i caught another little yellowbelly electing to keep it for the table. Little bastard had that hook, my hook from the day before and the other blokes hook from the day prior to that. 

Little fella obviously wasn't keen on moving too far from home 

• Like 3

I landed an 18cm bream once that was lassoed around the eye sockets & under the chin with the barb facing away from it. Once while fishing the drop over at lake Mac I had a 15min fight on bream gear, we both thought it was a good flattie early in the fight & then called it for a large shovel nose as it dived left & right & even under the boat with a lot of weight, with my mate hanging over the side with the landing net up comes a prawn net full of mud that I had hooked just in front of the fork of the net

• Haha 4

On 7/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, Berleyguts said:

:

No more line cuts on my fingers,

No more bait stains on my clothes.

Soon my left hand wears a ring

And maybe, too, my nose!

I did go to Lord Howe Island as part of my honeymoon, We did go out fishing together, handling for kingies, I did get line burn while fishing and my wedding ring did go overboard from a run of a big kingy while handlining. My wifes reflexes are excellent as she saw a flash as the ring came off my hand and she has caught our ring as it went overboard. Let's just say she does remind me of this occaisionally :)

Jim

Edited by jot
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jot said:

I did go to Lord Howe Island as part of my honeymoon, We did go out fishing together, handling for kingies, I did get line burn while fishing and my wedding ring did go overboard from a run of a big kingy while handlining. My wifes reflexes are excellent as she saw a flash as the ring came off my hand and she has caught our ring as it went overboard. Let's just say she does remind me of this occaisionally :)

Jim

Didn’t want you to get away that easy, eh?! 😂

• Haha 1

In the past three years I've only caught 3 jewfish off the beach which is nothing crazy or unbelievable, however each of these captures occurred on the same day (25th May) at almost the exact time (7:45 - 7:50pm) across multiple locations.

Now its not like i only go fishing for jew once a year at those times, i'd estimate I've fished off these beaches at night probably 30+ times in that period, with the only captures falling on the same date/time each year.

So pretty much i'm cursed to only catch jewfish at 7:45pm on the 25th May haha

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, macca02 said:

In the past three years I've only caught 3 jewfish off the beach which is nothing crazy or unbelievable, however each of these captures occurred on the same day (25th May) at almost the exact time (7:45 - 7:50pm) across multiple locations.

Now its not like i only go fishing for jew once a year at those times, i'd estimate I've fished off these beaches at night probably 30+ times in that period, with the only captures falling on the same date/time each year.

Cool! Bet we know what you're going to do next 25th of May!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, macca02 said:

What beach and I’ll see you there? Maybe we can hold a social there that day! Lol 😝 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago fishing late arvo off my local beach I got a double header on Tarwhine - now in 20years fishing the same stretch of sand I have never caught or heard of anyone catching Tarwhine from this spot. Made a lousy session worth while both fish were keepers but I returned them both to the briney. Not very often I get a double header of anything, but I originally thought I was onto a thumper Bream or a soapie jew - both disappointing and exciting at the same time.

• Like 1

Every time I've been offshore chassing broadbill at night something weird happens. The last my daughter hooked into something big that simply moved away from the boat at a slow steady pace on her big spin outfit. The fish turned and we started gaining line untill we had the 300lb leader at the boat, next thing the line went lose and the leader came in shredded. Next thing all three 37kg outfits started peeling line and the back of the boat swung around in the direction of what I assume was a big great white. One by one the lines parted shredded once again, not a time to fall overboard. The fact it was pitch black made for a very eerie night.

The journey home didn't go uneventful either, still 40+ km offshore we hit something at speed. It didn't feel solid like hitting a log etc, back at the ramp we realised we had hit a giant squid as the boat was covered even on top of the roof with ink.

Being far offshore overnight is quite an experience, far from relaxing!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

The journey home didn't go uneventful either, still 40+ km offshore we hit something at speed. It didn't feel solid like hitting a log etc, back at the ramp we realised we had hit a giant squid as the boat was covered even on top of the roof with ink.

Being far offshore overnight is quite an experience, far from relaxing!!

I've been 40km offshore quite a few times, but I normally feel pretty relaxed on a deck chair by the pool & the buffets are great 😁

But seriously I cant imagine what it would be like on a small vessel that far out!

Id be s!@t scared of being hit by a tanker 😱

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I've been 40km offshore quite a few times, but I normally feel pretty relaxed on a deck chair by the pool & the buffets are great 😁

But seriously I cant imagine what it would be like on a small vessel that far out!

Id be s!@t scared of being hit by a tanker 😱

Most people tend to get sick from rocking without having any land visuals at night, also as the boat drifts and rotates it's easy to become disoriented without any sign of land. Tankers usually pass well inshore of us but the longliners are the biggest concern because if you are close enough to see their Nav lights you are close enough to run over their lines. 

Theres also the nights we head back into Bermi or through Narooma bar because the weather has turned bad in blackness with rain and sea spray over the window. It's quite a relief once you get inside.

Edited by JonD

3 hours ago, JonD said:

Most people tend to get sick from rocking without having any land visuals at night, also as the boat drifts and rotates it's easy to become disoriented without any sign of land. Tankers usually pass well inshore of us but the longliners are the biggest concern because if you are close enough to see their Nav lights you are close enough to run over their lines. 

Theres also the nights we head back into Bermi or through Narooma bar because the weather has turned bad in blackness with rain and sea spray over the window. It's quite a relief once you get inside.

You're game Jon, that's for sure. Many things I wouldn't be willing to try...crossing Narooma bar in the dark would be up there along with bungee jumping. Cheers, bn

• Haha 3

many years ago was only 17 at the time while deep sea fishing out Newport the guy fishing next to me became horribly sea sick whilst he was having a look at the ocean his false teeth went for a swim only to be retrieved by the guy on the other side of him his hook stuck between two teeth this is a true story I would never believe it if I had not been there

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, recon said:

many years ago was only 17 at the time while deep sea fishing out Newport the guy fishing next to me became horribly sea sick whilst he was having a look at the ocean his false teeth went for a swim only to be retrieved by the guy on the other side of him his hook stuck between two teeth this is a true story I would never believe it if I had not been there

I heard a story like that. One guy lost his false teeth over the side while having a spew and was really upset about it. His fishing buddy, always a stirrer, caught a fish while he wasn’t looking and put his own false teeth in the mouth of the fish and said, “It’s your lucky day mate. Look what I caught!” His mate took the dentures and had a look and said, “No. They’re not mine”, and threw them over the side.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I heard a story like that. One guy lost his false teeth over the side while having a spew and was really upset about it. His fishing buddy, always a stirrer, caught a fish while he wasn’t looking and put his own false teeth in the mouth of the fish and said, “It’s your lucky day mate. Look what I caught!” His mate took the dentures and had a look and said, “No. They’re not mine”, and threw them over the side.

61477335_2151907021766915_7866329063294500864_n.jpg

• Haha 3

I was fishing with my mates one time for carp in a river. They left for a quick maccas run, and after being gone no less than 5 mins, the fish decided to fire up.

I ended up having to deal with 3 fish on 3 different rods at the same time.

I lost all 3

Not a very crazy story but in hindsight it was pretty funny. Ive never been too devastated about losing fish, dont know why.

Another time more recent, I was fishing St Kila Pier at night. Hooked something massive using an aussie salmon as bait. The police cut my line about 30 mins into the fight. I reckon its because there was a decent crowd at one spot of the pier watching me and it was disturbing the penguin colony. I was kinda annoyed but I couldnt wipe the smile off my face because for me the best part is the battle.

I went shooting once, back, in the 80's. Started raining and was making my way back to the car across a large paddock on the property I was on. Didnt see 1 rabbit. Half way back to the car I see this huge thing slithering along and at first thought "whats a snake doing out on a day like this?" It was a huge eel slithering across the paddock from who knows where. A river was 1 km away, may have come out of a dam and decided to go to the river? Anyway, it was about 4 to 5 foot long. When I got back to the car my dad just looked at me like "what the?" When I showed him the eel. So we had crumbed eel for tea instead of rabbit. So yeah, I caught an eel in a paddock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1