Braked boat trailers

JonD

A discussion from the other thread where people post pics of their boats has gotten onto braked trailers, so at the request of the moderators I thought it might be worth starting a new one.

One boat which seems to be causing some confusion on its length also seems to be baffling some of us on its weight, too. Yearly inspections and added costs for braked trailers can be a costly experience for many of us.  Rarely does an inspection find all is in good order from these mechanical parts that get dunked in the salt every week for most of us.

Apart from a 3.85 quintrex explorer and 3.85 sea wasp, I've yet to own a boat that can legally stay under the 750kg no brakes limit. Even doing the maths on my little explorer ahead of a NT trip a few years ago, I needed to be careful on loading the tow vehicle with the heavy gear.

My 3.85 sea wasp also fell very close to the max weight when loaded up. My formula 15 went over 750kg even with a lightweight Yam f 70. 

My current boat, a light weight 5m rib, comes in at 350kg and once again with  119 kg Yam f 70, pushes the scales up over 750kg once fuel, anchor and general daily gear is added, so needs brakes.

How a 6.4 boat or even 509 (whatever it may be) comes in under the payload baffles me.

Once we fill our fuel tanks, add anchors and chains, spare wheel and  the legal water requirements, etc, it can be quite surprising how the weight bumps up. Yes, a dry, empty boat might pull those figures under the max load, but get involved in any kind of accident and you can guarantee insurers will investigate the weight of the load.

My advice would be to get any boat which is sold without brakes checked on a weigh bridge, with the loads it will normally be carrying. Then you know for sure and have done your due diligence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Totally agree mate.My 4.2 weighs 550kg on the dot ready to fish with full fuel tanks(Main & spare) and all fishing gear,anchors,ropes,etc,etc.

It weighs a little less on the return trip as fuel,food and bait is depleted.

I'm willing to bet there would be plenty of overweight rigs on our roads both braked and unbraked.

I agree.   It applies in each category, 750kg as they approach 2 tonne and again at 3.5tonne.  A lot of boat manufacturers choose to live in fairyland to keep the cost down.  Pretending a rig is under 2 tonne when you can’t even fill it with fuel is laughable.   That is until it all goes pear shaped. 

I guess to put it all in perspective, just because something is legal, doesn't make it a good thing to do, a 749KG rig is perfectly fine, but a 751KG rig needs brakes and yearly inspection, how does that make sense? the "extra" 2 KG is a packet of prawns and a drink! 

A couple of years ago they had a blitz on overweight trailers and had portable weigh stations at selected ramps at random times, caught heaps of overweight boat trailers and I think a flat top was called and the trailer towed to the pound, don't know how the owners went about getting their boats back. Carasel and trailer places had a ball selling all the extra brake set ups.

Frank

6 minutes ago, frankS said:

A couple of years ago they had a blitz on overweight trailers and had portable weigh stations at selected ramps at random times, caught heaps of overweight boat trailers and I think a flat top was called and the trailer towed to the pound, don't know how the owners went about getting their boats back. Carasel and trailer places had a ball selling all the extra brake set ups.

Frank

Yes they used to regularly do that at a ramp I used. Funny thing is I fish with both local police and a local nrma insurance assessor, as they say you get hit from behind or bump into another vehicle and they will be all over you.

3 hours ago, noelm said:

I guess to put it all in perspective, just because something is legal, doesn't make it a good thing to do, a 749KG rig is perfectly fine, but a 751KG rig needs brakes and yearly inspection, how does that make sense? the "extra" 2 KG is a packet of prawns and a 

They need to draw the line somewhere.It's like speed limits.A couple of kays over is nothing but will get you pinged.

• Like 4

I bought my first boat 2 years ago with an unbraked trailer.  I was a little oblivious to the rules I just assumed if a boat was on a trailer and already registered then it was legal.  Turns out my boat probably weighed closer to 2T than 750KG and I was way overweight. When I called carribean to ask about the weight of the boat they said it was 625KG from factory!!   In QLD if the boat/trailer are under 750KG then you dont need to get it inspected when changing hands.  The trailer was old and rusty so It was the first thing on my list to upgrade but when I started looking into it a bit more I realised how "illegal" I really was.

I also read a news article recently about someone in NSW who crashed his car with an overloaded caravan and killed his son and wife and now he is being charged with negligence in their deaths!

Edited by Fishop
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Guest123456789

I’m curious as to what my rig weighs. I think fully loaded it could go close to the limit.

Where are weigh bridges and how much do they cost to use? I’m on the central coast.

1 minute ago, flatheadluke said:

I’m curious as to what my rig weighs. I think fully loaded it could go close to the limit.

Where are weigh bridges and how much do they cost to use? I’m on the central coast.

Weigh bridges are normally at your local council tip, every vehicle that drives into a tip normally drives over them without realising. Often you don't get charged but this is something you will need to check with who ever is on duty on the day. You simply drive onto the platform, unhook the trailer and drive the tow vehicle off.  Make sure you do it with the fuel, water, esky of ice etc loaded how you would normally be for any trip to the ramp.

Also consider how the boat might be loaded if you were to be heading away for a few weeks. When I head away for remote trips I carry four extra 20lt drums of water, four drums of extra fue, two anchors, gas and cooking gear, camping gear etc etc, which is why I have a heavy duty braked trailer for such a light boat. 

• Like 1

Jon, 

You have it slightly wrong - if a trailer exceeds 750kg it requires brakes. if a trailer is over 256kg it also requires an inspection and has a $100 weight tax on it. (just because a trailer has a mechanical brake is not the trigger for the extra cost of your rego)

• Like 2

What I  also meant to say (the size of your boat governs what trailer is required) if the trailer alone is under 256 it does not require an inspection nor weight tax.   - most trailers are 280 or 320kg  

if you have a 280 kg trailer and you can get it below 256 it is cheaper, a trailer of this size will have mechanical brakes

3 hours ago, Plethora said:

What I  also meant to say (the size of your boat governs what trailer is required) if the trailer alone is under 256 it does not require an inspection nor weight tax.   - most trailers are 280 or 320kg  

if you have a 280 kg trailer and you can get it below 256 it is cheaper, a trailer of this size will have mechanical brakes

Mine is a heavy duty, heavily built trailer for such a light boat, at 220kg. The boat is 350kg and engine 120kg, so with the 100lt fuel tank filled and a battery it's over the limit before I start adding bits and pieces.

This has been a good reminder as it needs an inspection for rego right now.

21 minutes ago, Plethora said:

Jon, what is the weight of your trailer on the rego papers

Just checked and realised I was quoting my last trailer at 220 kg, turns out this one is 360kg.

6 hours ago, Welster said:

This video popped up on my feed the other day.   It is very good at explaining the terms and rules with vehicle and towing weights.  

I like the fact the Santa Fe with the towpack upgrade gets a mention in that video.  I've copped so much flack from the Toyota boys since moving over to Hyundai from the Toyota Prado. Im now tow burning 9lt per 100km on long range trips where my Prado was mostly around 14-16lt towing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

I like the fact the Santa Fe with the towpack upgrade gets a mention in that video.  I've copped so much flack from the Toyota boys since moving over to Hyundai from the Toyota Prado. Im now tow burning 9lt per 100km on long range trips where my Prado was mostly around 14-16lt towing.

The Santa fe is a good car.Was your Prado petrol?My old hilux is a 3.4 petrol and gets 16 L/100.Other than the heavy fuel i have never been able to fault it.The Kia versions are good too.Both Kia and Hyundai have come up in the world since their infancy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

The Santa fe is a good car.Was your Prado petrol?My old hilux is a 3.4 petrol and gets 16 L/100.Other than the heavy fuel i have never been able to fault it.The Kia versions are good too.Both Kia and Hyundai have come up in the world since their infancy.

No mine was the 3lt turbo diesel, used around 12 lt per 100k not towing, bought from new and sold at 180,000km for the far more comfortable and economical Santa Fe. Its quite funny that there were three second hand Prado's at the small Hyundai dealership in Bega, each had been traded against Santa Fe's.

1 hour ago, JonD said:

No mine was the 3lt turbo diesel, used around 12 lt per 100k not towing, bought from new and sold at 180,000km for the far more comfortable and economical Santa Fe. Its quite funny that there were three second hand Prado's at the small Hyundai dealership in Bega, each had been traded against Santa Fe's.

Fair enough.People are badge snobs mate.Like i said,the Santa Fe and Kia sportage are good cars for what they are.The Santa fe gets good raps by the caravaners and horse owner brigade too.I had a Daewoo Nubira(Remember them)People said it was a heap of crap it would have electrical issues,won't last 100,000k etc.I bought it new in 2001 and had it 15yrs and put 360,000ks on it with very little issues other than the normal service items.As for electrics i didn't even blow a bulb in that whole time.😂😂

• Like 2

Guest Guest123456789
10 hours ago, antonywardle said:

@flatheadluke there is one in Manns road. I think it was either $25 or $50 when I got the clubs boat done.

I found a calculated was a while ago and documented it here: Boat Weight with maths

Thanks Antony. I like @JonD suggestion: Woy Woy tip. They’ll weight it for free