Braked boat trailers

JonD

9 hours ago, Plethora said:

Boys - we are talking about trailer weight only - without the boat - if it is less than 256kg it does not need an inspection nor does it have the weight tax.

Is tha even with brakes that it doesn't need an inspection ( bellow 256kg). 

YES - mine has brakes and I lowed the weight by removing the walkway and the spare tyre bracket so it is now 248kg, it was 280 originally now I have dropped my rego from 202 dollars to 67 (this is the second boat I have done this to ans my two mates have done the same.  

The best time to do it is well before your rego is due 

1) you have the trailer reweighed   -

2) take the paperwork and the trailer to an e-inspection place (one that can do BLUE slips - (They can change the RTA records) 

3) when your renewal comes (it will not require an inspection and it will be a $100 cheaper)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plethora said:

YES - mine has brakes and I lowed the weight by removing the walkway and the spare tyre bracket so it is now 248kg, it was 280 originally now I have dropped my rego from 202 dollars to 67 (this is the second boat I have done this to ans my two mates have done the same.  

The best time to do it is well before your rego is due 

1) you have the trailer reweighed   -

2) take the paperwork and the trailer to an e-inspection place (one that can do BLUE slips - (They can change the RTA records) 

3) when your renewal comes (it will not require an inspection and it will be a $100 cheaper)

And then do you put the walkway and spare tyre back onto the trailer?

PLETHORA

thanks for that info i have a 4.5 quintrex c/c and the trailer is a tinka it has to get inspected every year and is just under the weight of having to have brakes rego is very expensive for it. will take to get it weighed after i get the boat off and onto the grass.the trailer is 50x50 square frame full rocker roller tilt trailer.it also has a big old hydroylic brake tow hitch i might change to get weight down has mini wheels as well

Now that I can manage to get down the stairs (with my sexy surgical stockings!), I thought I’d have a look at the plate on my trailer. It’s tare weight is 210kg. Funny, I didn’t think it was that heavy as I seem to remember lifting it up by the back and bouncing it around once (probably how I got my hernia!). It’s maximum gross weight is 1000kg. It has brakes, of course, and hasn’t needed an inspection yet. I picked it up new with the boat in January 2014. Maybe it will need an inspection next year. I must ask at the local tip if I can put it over their weighbridge. I’m curious now.

40BBFE32-2F04-4201-8BBA-281DC84E2B76.jpeg

22 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

d have a look at the plate on my trailer. It’s tare weight is 210kg. 

It should not need a inspection as it’s under 256kg

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1

Interesting topic, def raises some thoughts around if I should have a braked trailer or not. What I found even more interesting is that it seems aluminium trailers for my boat (4.8m CC Quintrex) are over the 250kg mark when my current trailer has a label saying 180kg