Wood Lathe

GoingFishing

Have been watching some really cool vids on YouTube about what can be made on a lathe at home using log offcuts and old wood.

Seems like a nice hobby to have on those lazy afternoons or when the weather is crappy and stuck at home on a weekend.

Anyone have experience using one? What are they like to maintain. Also any indication of cost including all the bits and pieces required.

Happy to hear any thoughts and advice.

Thanks

Sam

• Like 1

I have a mate that used to make stuff for market stalls, bowls and things like that, it's pretty easy to do, keeping the tools sharp requires some skill, and selecting suitable timber is also an art in itself.

You could set yourself up with a decent lathe and tools for under $1000 and yes it is a great way to spend some time away from the usual chores and such. I don't have a wood lathe but have a small metal lathe that I often put a lump of 4x4 hardwood in and turn down to something. Good challenge is to make a chess set, you can make all pieces other than the knights on the lathe and it's just your imagination as to how big you want the pieces to be. Very messy and some skill needed but a lot of enjoyment .

PM me if you want the best closest place to buy tools.

Frank

Metal lathes are great fun too but much more expensive to set up and tools etc are never ending, there's always something extra you have to have. But again very handy to have for making stuff.

Frank