New User - Hobie question

lastworm

Hi all, new member here.

I've been bass fishing out of a kayak for a few years now - just a cheapie with the help of a 24lb Watersnake.

I've been considering purchasing a small Hobie second hand (Hobie Sportfish), but am wondering whether I'll really be better off in the Hobie, as my current set up is pretty comfy, especially with the help of the electric.

I fish a main river, but head up feeder creeks which can be very shallow, will the Hobie cause me any issues? How do you navigate through shallow sections with the Mirage drive system? I assume the only way is to pull it completely out and stow it on the deck?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, and getting more involved in the forums.

Cheers,

My outback will clear sunken timber etc thats more than around 100mm under the surface with the fins in and in the upmost position. Any shallower, take them out. Make sure you have a lanyard retaining them because if they go over the side they're not cheap to replace.

Over sand flats you can easily use the fins in water around 200mm by not using the full stroke of the pedals, just 150mm or so backwards and forwards. The fins behaving more like wings rather than going through the full 108 degree stroke, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the responses guys, seriously considering purchasing one (second hand). Will be going for one of the smaller models though, as I'll be loading/unloading from roof racks on my own, and like to travel as light as possible.

I've got a month or so to make my decision anyway, with open season just around the corner ;) 

Whats the upkeep/maintenance like on the mirage drives?

10 minutes ago, lastworm said:

Piece of cake mate.

Just a squirt of innox or lannox after every trip and occasionally the chains may need retensioning.

If you need to pull it apart for a major service there's plenty of u-tube vids. I haven't had to pull mine apart yet and I've had my hobie for 6 years.

4 hours ago, lastworm said:

As @Green Hornet said it is pretty easy.  The grease in the bushes (V2) or roller bearings (V3) dries out over time. I do a lot of km on mine so I now (once per year) strip mine, clean out the old grease and scotch brite the shafts and put it back together. Takes me about 45 minutes. I use Inox MX6 grease as it is waterproof. There are some good videos out there. Do not over tension the 3 cables otherwise it gets difficult to operate. My local Hobie dealer does it for about $50 but as it takes 45 minutes each way to drive there and a few days later 45 minutes each way to collect I usually do it myself. The V3 is only a little more difficult as you need a 9mm dowel and 12mm dowel (bunnings) to make installing the plastic roller bearings a little easier.

From past experience I keep a couple of small lock nuts (lost one once), some spare cables, some spare rudder pins (there is a slot for keeping these inside the hatches) and a small spanner (I think 11mm or the imperial equivalent) in my kayak bag.

A quick wash in the shower at the end of the day and once every few trips a spray with Inox

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

If you need to pull it apart for a major service there's plenty of u-tube vids. I haven't had to pull mine apart yet and I've had my hobie for 6 years.

Hi Green Hornet,

Depending on the km I suggest you do as the grease leaches and or dries out. Over the years I found it harder going and I assumed it was because I was the heaviest in our kayak crew until I used a mates one. Difference was huge. A Youtube search, some waterproof grease and a bit of time and it made a huge difference. Another mate (older) in the group was looking at giving it up as it was getting harder and harder to get along. I asked if he had serviced it - light bulb moment and yes that was the problem.

According to my GPS (till I lost the data) I'd had over 800km on the Hobie and the GPS wasn't always with me. I'm sure I am well over 1,000km on it as I have had it since late 2010.

Regards,

Derek

6 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Green Hornet,

Depending on the km I suggest you do as the grease leaches and or dries out. Over the years I found it harder going and I assumed it was because I was the heaviest in our kayak crew until I used a mates one. Difference was huge. A Youtube search, some waterproof grease and a bit of time and it made a huge difference. Another mate (older) in the group was looking at giving it up as it was getting harder and harder to get along. I asked if he had serviced it - light bulb moment and yes that was the problem.

According to my GPS (till I lost the data) I'd had over 800km on the Hobie and the GPS wasn't always with me. I'm sure I am well over 1,000km on it as I have had it since late 2010.

Regards,

Derek

Hi Derek

I fish a very clean waterway in my outback and liberally apply Lanox into all nooks and crannies after every trip. I never had to, but did disassemble my drive last winter and the Lanox had penetrated into everything and there was absolutely no wear on any moving parts. It also runs smooth and as free as the day it was new.

Though I have no record, there's no way I've done the km's you have. Where I fish there's stacks of access points, so I tend to pick a spot and hang in the vicinity.

PS: I'm also a fan of Inox MX6 and use it in all my reels.

• Like 1

Hi @Green Hornet,

Sounds like you are all over it. In my case I realised afterwards that reduction in efficiency crept up so gradually that I didn't have a reference point to indicate how far off proper efficiency the drive had become. Hence why I now do the full service at least yearly (winter months).

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well I bit the bullet and got myself a brand new Hobie Mirage Sport for Xmas. I decided on the Sport because I can easily car top it on my own, and because I fish pretty skinny water, so the compact size will suit me perfectly.

Got the new mirage drive with forward and reverse and may upgrade to turbo and kick up fins in the future. Also got the vantage seat, so hopefully no more back and shoulder issues.

Taking it out for a maiden voyage tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.