Jervis bay winter drought

ParaPaul

Just been down to the holiday house in Vincentia for the past five days,  fished early every morning (land based) and some afternoons and evenings for one legal sized salmon off a gutter on Nelson beach with a 20g Spanyid raider in silver. I salted him and dried him for bait. Otherwise, nothing. Not a skerrick, nix, nada, nought.

I have been at Currumbene creek, Moona Moona creek, Huskisson wharf, Collingwood beach, off the rocks at Vincentia with spinners, poppers, bait, SPs, Plantation point with floated baits (windy and snaggy). Light tackle, medium and heavy. Different times, different tides.

Even went squid jigging at night still without a hit.

Reports from a couple of local fishos come back with the same. Just one bloke catching luderick off Husky wharf by floating some dough.

Where have they all gone? Migrated north or what?

Can't complain too much though, beautiful weather and crystal clear water. 

Hope you all have better luck (or skills) than I did.

20190722_101456.jpg

Edited by ParaPaul
  • Like 5

Sounds/looks relaxing all the same PP!

Its a great spot for that.

A friend of mine has his boat moored in Currambene & every time I've been to it & moving up to the entrance I have seen some stonking bream in that creek.

As usual this time of year is harder but still a bit of fun right 👍

• Like 1

Mate, I've been coming down here for over 20yrs and never not seen or caught a few beauties.

I've got a spot where normally I'll come home with a bag full of drummers.

Whiting at Moona Moona creek are almost a gimme on small poppers thrown at the mangroves or bait with a red tube and #6 long shank hook off the beach at any time of  year.

I've always caught squid at sunset near Vincentia and Currumbene boat ramps too, usually on any tide.

Guess that's why it's called fishing not catching eh?

11 minutes ago, ParaPaul said:

Mate, I've been coming down here for over 20yrs and never not seen or caught a few beauties.

Whiting at Moona Moona creek are almost a gimme on small poppers thrown at the mangroves or bait with a red tube and #6 long shank hook off the beach at any time of  year.

I've always caught squid at sunset near Vincentia and Currumbene boat ramps too, usually on any tide.

I am hearing you Paul, my last 2 outing in Botany bay produced a donut on both occasions.

Very unusual not to bring something home or at least catch any fish!

Still I am always excited about getting back on the water & throwing a line in regardless.

As they say a bad day's fishing is still better than a good day at work 😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1

Sometimes you have to get off the beaten track in JB to find the fish. It was quite calm on Saturday with late arvo low tide. I found some protection from the wind and got these 2 lost a big one using chicken 20lb line and 4/0 circle hooks. Went back Sunday and couldn't get a bait past the squid.

20190722_215314.jpg

• Like 3

G'day Para Paul. What a great place to have a holiday home. I've taken my tinnie down there a few times and fished the creek. Absolutely great place for flatties...casting ahead of the drifting boat with soft plastics and trolling lures on the return to the top of the drift, both bringing results each time. No doubt casting lures around the moored boats would produce bream too. Half ur luck. Cheers, bn

I agree with Toilor3000. When the water is ultra clear you need to start thinking of outside the bay. The local surf beaches have been fishing well after the big swell a few weeks back. Big salmon and tailor at the moment.

In retrospect to that, there has been some really good blackfish in the two creeks. I've been getting amongst them not 50 metres from where you took that photo. Good weed is scarce but the weed flies are doing the job.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I agree with Toilor3000. When the water is ultra clear you need to start thinking of outside the bay. The local surf beaches have been fishing well after the big swell a few weeks back. Big salmon and tailor at the moment.

In retrospect to that, there has been some really good blackfish in the two creeks. I've been getting amongst them not 50 metres from where you took that photo. Good weed is scarce but the weed flies are doing the job.

Thanks Green Hornet.

Yeah I have made the trek to Steamers and Caves a couple of times before and done alright on pillies and spinners. I'm dirty on myself for not bringing my surf outfit down this time. Maybe i can convince the minister of  finance and war that it's a necessity to have a second surf rod kept down there....

I have seen the weed flies online but never used them, they sound like an economical and time saving solution to finding and storing weed.

Edited by ParaPaul

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Para Paul. What a great place to have a holiday home. I've taken my tinnie down there a few times and fished the creek. Absolutely great place for flatties...casting ahead of the drifting boat with soft plastics and trolling lures on the return to the top of the drift, both bringing results each time. No doubt casting lures around the moored boats would produce bream too. Half ur luck. Cheers, bn

Big Neil,

Yeah it's certainly usually a fisherman's paradise. This time around I didn't see anywhere near the amount of fish milling around like I usually do.

11 hours ago, Toilor3000 said:

Sometimes you have to get off the beaten track in JB to find the fish. It was quite calm on Saturday with late arvo low tide. I found some protection from the wind and got these 2 lost a big one using chicken 20lb line and 4/0 circle hooks. Went back Sunday and couldn't get a bait past the squid.

20190722_215314.jpg

Toilor3000,

Nice catch mate. Was it on chicken gut or supermarket chook?

I was land based and only tried my usual haunts but trying to avoid the wind direction changes.

6 minutes ago, ParaPaul said:

Thanks Green Hornet.

Yeah I have made the trek to Steamers and Caves a couple of times before and done alright on pillies and spinners. I'm dirty on myself for not bringing my surf outfit down this time. Maybe i can convince the minister of  finance and war that it's a necessity to have a second surf rod kept down there....

I have see the weed flies online but never used them, they sound like an economical and time saving solution to finding and storing weed.

If you're going to chuck lures down the beach you don't need a big rod. Ideally something around 9 or 10 foot but I often fish a 7 footer when its pretty calm. As long as it will cast 30 or 40 gram lures, that will get you started.

Always handy to have a couple of weed flies in the tackle box. If necessary you can fish them off a spin rod with just a light split shot about 300mm above the fly.

9 hours ago, ParaPaul said:

Toilor3000,

Nice catch mate. Was it on chicken gut or supermarket chook?

I was land based and only tried my usual haunts but trying to avoid the wind direction changes.

I use thigh fillet fairly big pieces for the Snapper. Let us know next time you're down if ya keen for a fish. 

38 minutes ago, Toilor3000 said:

I use thigh fillet fairly big pieces for the Snapper. Let us know next time you're down if ya keen for a fish. 

Thanks Toilor3000

Don't be surprised if I take you up on that, always keen. I'm gonna be down in another month.

Many thanks. 👍

Edited by ParaPaul

On 7/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, ParaPaul said:

Hey @ParaPaul is the currumnene boat ramp you talking about the one at Myola? or the one near the Huskinson ferry?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Bill Morris said:

Hey @ParaPaul is the currumnene boat ramp you talking about the one at Myola? or the one near the Huskinson ferry?

Cheers

Bill,

It's actually called Woolamia boat ramp, at the end of Frank Lewis Way. About 2 minutes out of Husky.

Wow what a beautiful photo! Please tell me that was with a proper camera and not a phone. I was down there around the same time. My young bloke caught two 30cm flatties in the river on squidgy prawns. I got nought. Fished in the bay and didn't get a touch. If it wasn't such a great place I would have had the shits!

18 hours ago, Giffo said:

Wow what a beautiful photo! Please tell me that was with a proper camera and not a phone. I was down there around the same time. My young bloke caught two 30cm flatties in the river on squidgy prawns. I got nought. Fished in the bay and didn't get a touch. If it wasn't such a great place I would have had the shits!

What colour were the squidgy prawns mate? I got one pack not long ago in the yellow colour, forgot the actual name..

just wondering what colour the flatties took the prawn on. 

• 1 month later...