Port Stephens- Magic Day

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well, where do I start??? 

Firstly I spent the weekend with two of my boys on the Hawkesbury and had a ball (report to come) 

Then I managed to swing it with the mrs to head out with Woodsy today. (What a woman). Also got to take Jnr with us. (Thanks woodsy) 

Anyway, we left, I mean we left a few things. Maybe like the bungs out, maybe like jnr leaving our lunch and food at home. (One job) but we eventually left and loaded up with a few fat slimies and headed north. 

Got there early and began to cast. Woodsy up first and a nice 55-60 model on board. A couple of drifts and a few more fish. Moved spots and couldn’t get a good drift so went back to a different area. 

Well after that it was all a blur!!!

Multiple hooks, singles, doubles, triples, livies going off, absolute MAGIC! 

Without exaggeration we would have caught over a 100 snapper between us with 90% of them legal size! A huge spangled emperor and a few Sampsonfish in the mix. 

Hard to call a fish of the day, Either woodsys 80cm+ snaps, Brandon’s PB snaps just short of 80 and his PB or my spango that went like the clappers! 

So yeah, to say it was a magic day is probably an understatement! Good on ya woodsy “beats working” 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 846A546B-CDDF-43CC-82A8-814979C1D149.thumb.jpeg.ee53c24c0001c2f0020e596b4c333691.jpeg46508F8C-4ACD-423F-8EA8-87E982FF94D0.thumb.jpeg.6608978eacebf33f765f157bc6cfd0c0.jpeg

• Like 18

Great stuff @Scratchie, Scratchie Jnr and @woodsy! Nice spangled! A million dollar day, I’d say! Good to see you left some behind for me, too! Not that I’ll be getting out for a while. I’m laid up after hernia surgery on Friday and think I’m going to take 6 weeks off work but have to take it easy. Might manage a trip or two in towards the end. Hope I can afford to replace my transducer by then!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Spewing! Had a mate ring me to see if there was any chance of launching over my way (he's from Griffith). Before I could reply he said, "I'll be there in 45 minutes". Luck had it that there was enough water to put his boat in and we spent 4 hrs throwing all sorts of deep diving lures, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and surface lures into the highly exposed snags. We knew there would be fish there, but not a single touch from thousands of casts.

Meanwhile, you're having an absolute cracker of a day on the water. Good onya all ...great haul and a very memorable day with success all round. As you said, "BEATS WORKING!"  

Cheers, bn

The 'Bidgee about 1.5mtrs lower than usual...

IMG_1594rs.thumb.jpg.98bca7323bd488735ce2aa18ab29fb0d.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for all the positive comments raiders! 

The fish were caught on a mixture of sps and slimies heads and fillets. Also bonito fillets. We were using the same technique for bait as sps with big long casts and allow to waft. The spango took a bonito fillet! 

What took the livies was the big snapper you see there! And we dropped (me) another two biguns! 

Many different sps were used but I think the pilchard came up trumps! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3

Bloody unbelievable and Great day out Scratchie,  it was great seeing Brandon get his Snapper and keeping me laughing most of the day, I couldn’t believe I would end up feeling sore from catching to many fish. Did you feed jnr last night or starve him like he did to you by forgetting your food for the day. 

Woodsy

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Bloody unbelievable and Great day out Scratchie,  it was great seeing Brandon get his Snapper and keeping me laughing most of the day, I couldn’t believe I would end up feeling sore from catching to many fish. Did you feed jnr last night or starve him like he did to you by forgetting your food for the day. 

Woodsy

Haha, big dogs gotta eat! He had one job and failed miserably. Bloody kids! 

Definately was an unforgettable day champ! 

P.s: I’m sore too! Haha 😂 

On 7/23/2019 at 5:33 AM, big Neil said:

Meanwhile, you're having an absolute cracker of a day on the water. Good onya all ...great haul and a very memorable day with success all round. As you said, "BEATS WORKING!

Cheers BN. 

Hopefully  the water level and fish return for you soon mate! You guys seem to be doing tough out west! Hang in there and hope to hear a positive report from you soon! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

Wow what a fantastic day the 3 of you had,  2 great snapper & a nice spangly to, never thought I’d hear the day where you & Woodsy would be complaining from being sore from catching to many  snapper 😂 sounds like the fish where as hungry as you, what an awesome session 👍

• Like 2