Favourite lure for Kings?

yting

Ok guys,

I'm sure it has been asked before but with new lure designs constantly evolving, what's your favourite SP (or any lure for that matter) for Kings.

I've just got myself a little tiny and am determined to get my first King this summer.

I Fish the Hacking mainly.

Hooked my first King last summer in my Kayak on a Squidgy 3" Silver and black paddle tail SP but lost it before I could net it so still on 0 by my account.

Thoughts?

I would love to see my 7 year old get onto one of these beats.

Nath

15 minutes ago, noelm said:

Catch heaps more on live bait than any lure.

yep , but Sluggos/Slapsticks and other soft plastic stickbaits will catch school size fish fairly well on some days. 

I get most hits on 40 gram knights retrieved flat out. If that fails I'll go 7 inch Zman Jerk Shad in white on 1.5 oz jig head. All land based but I agree livebait beats all else if they're not biting their heads off.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Please yourself, like all fishing, do the hard yards and be successful, take the easy option and hope.

generally do, just answered the blokes question is all- if i dont have livies i dont usually chase kings

• Like 1

1. White soft plastics min 3"

2. jigs ( deepwater)

3. stickbaits

4. schooling kings generally undersize hit small rapala deep divers & poppers easily.

interesting to note using bait....when the Middle harbour bite was on, we were catching 1m long kingies on large yakkas no worries, few days after the bite was over, we tried the yakkas again to no avail, the boat next to us (raptor charters) was using squid and must've caught a dozen right next to us(60-80cm).

So lesson learnt, be patient and learn how to catch squid if you really want to land kingies consistently

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

yep , but Sluggos/Slapsticks and other soft plastic stickbaits will catch school size fish fairly well on some days. 

Sorry, wasn't having a go, it was just a statement, but I guess because it was after your post it seems like I was not agreeing or something.

Live bait is not always available, especially squid. So having lures in the kit is worthwhile. In plastic sluggos work well. A variety of poppers and stick baits are appealing to kingies as well as a fast retrieved metal lure. Knife jigs around 200g work well in deep water. 

On 7/24/2019 at 10:49 AM, yting said:

Ok guys,

I'm sure it has been asked before but with new lure designs constantly evolving, what's your favourite SP (or any lure for that matter) for Kings.

I've just got myself a little tiny and am determined to get my first King this summer.

I Fish the Hacking mainly.

Hooked my first King last summer in my Kayak on a Squidgy 3" Silver and black paddle tail SP but lost it before I could net it so still on 0 by my account.

Thoughts?

I would love to see my 7 year old get onto one of these beats.

Nath

If the question is which lures give you the best chance of catching a kingfish in the hacking for your 7 Y/O daughter in your tinny I would say have three rods rigged.

Rod number one. A 6" sluggo (probably white or similar) rigged on an offset worm hook like they are designed for. Probably run a small cone sinker right down on the hook or no sinker at all.

Rod number two. A deep diver in the 8-15cm size range that dives a couple of metres and can have a good action fast or slow.

Rod three. A chrome lure like a Raider or Sniper in the 10-40 gram range depending on the size of any visible bait that is around. If you cant see any bait start with a 10 or 15 gram.

If you can handle trolling three then that is great. Otherwise just troll two. Have the sluggo right out the back and have the diver closest to the boat. You would have the chromie somewhere in between if you have three. Make sure you have a swivel on or above the chromie. A speed of 3-4 knots should see these guys generally get along depending on the diver. If you get a strike leave the sluggo out to sink down but itself, another fish will often grab it. Troll around the points, drop offs and moored boats in the bays. The drop and moorings around Lilli Pill baths would be a reasonable place to start. The moorings around Yowie Bay also will have fish from time to time. I think generally the kings do hot laps of these places looking for baitfish and squid and if you cross their path with the right size lure then you're in with a shot.

An alternative method would be slow trolling a livie on one rod and a fresh or live squid or fresh squid strip on the other rod. Squid with sinker 1.5-2m above the bait, and livie unweighted. Try this around the same locations as mentioned above. 

These methods should put you in with a shot at bycatch of tailor, salmon, frigates and in season also bonito and mac tuna. If you troll the chromies on spin reels with mono be prepared for twisted line and tangles.

4 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

If the question is which lures give you the best chance of catching a kingfish in the hacking for your 7 Y/O daughter in your tinny I would say have three rods rigged.

Rod number one. A 6" sluggo (probably white or similar) rigged on an offset worm hook like they are designed for. Probably run a small cone sinker right down on the hook or no sinker at all.

Rod number two. A deep diver in the 8-15cm size range that dives a couple of metres and can have a good action fast or slow.

Rod three. A chrome lure like a Raider or Sniper in the 10-40 gram range depending on the size of any visible bait that is around. If you cant see any bait start with a 10 or 15 gram.

If you can handle trolling three then that is great. Otherwise just troll two. Have the sluggo right out the back and have the diver closest to the boat. You would have the chromie somewhere in between if you have three. Make sure you have a swivel on or above the chromie. A speed of 3-4 knots should see these guys generally get along depending on the diver. If you get a strike leave the sluggo out to sink down but itself, another fish will often grab it. Troll around the points, drop offs and moored boats in the bays. The drop and moorings around Lilli Pill baths would be a reasonable place to start. The moorings around Yowie Bay also will have fish from time to time. I think generally the kings do hot laps of these places looking for baitfish and squid and if you cross their path with the right size lure then you're in with a shot.

An alternative method would be slow trolling a livie on one rod and a fresh or live squid or fresh squid strip on the other rod. Squid with sinker 1.5-2m above the bait, and livie unweighted. Try this around the same locations as mentioned above. 

These methods should put you in with a shot at bycatch of tailor, salmon, frigates and in season also bonito and mac tuna. If you troll the chromies on spin reels with mono be prepared for twisted line and tangles.

Thanks mate some great advice there and I like the idea of covering all bases.

Nath