Filling portable fuel tanks issue.

Fab1

How the heck do you guys fill up your portable fuel tanks that have that useless fuel filter in the mouth of the tank without the fuel frothing and shutting down the bowser while filling?

The only way I've found is going "extremely gentle" on the trigger while filling which takes an eternity at a trickle.

There's stupid ideas out there and this one would have to be right up there.

6 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Can you take that screen out? I can’t see the need for it.

Yes.I do take it out as it gives me the shits.The idea is good but in practice it sucks. 

• Like 2

Mine has that filter, but it just lifts out, I don't know why I remove the filter, fill with petrol, then put the filter back, it doesn't filter anything while I have it out! I might toss it next time I fill up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just along these lines, I noticed recently that local servos are cracking down on people filling tanks in boats and in car boots, if they see someone not removing the tank, and putting it on the ground, they cut off the pump, all 4 servos near me are doing the same.

55 minutes ago, noelm said:

Mine has that filter, but it just lifts out, I don't know why I remove the filter, fill with petrol, then put the filter back, it doesn't filter anything while I have it out! I might toss it next time I fill up.

That defeats the purpose as you've found out.It's like going rock fishing,getring washed in almost drowning then putting on a pfd in the hospital. 

36 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Yep! No need for that IMO. Looks like a real hassle! 

A royal you know what.

17 minutes ago, noelm said:

I think genuine Yamaha tanks have that filter.

Mines genuine Yamaha.Genuine Pita.

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just along these lines, I noticed recently that local servos are cracking down on people filling tanks in boats and in car boots, if they see someone not removing the tank, and putting it on the ground, they cut off the pump, all 4 servos near me are doing the same.

All portables from tote tanks ,to jerries,for boats,mowers etc should be placed on the ground and the nozzle earthed too.Has been like t that for yonks know.

19 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

That defeats the purpose as you've found out.It's like going rock fishing,getring washed in almost drowning then putting on a pfd in the hospital. 

A royal you know what.

Mines genuine Yamaha.Genuine Pita.

All portables from tote tanks ,to jerries,for boats,mowers etc should be placed on the ground and the nozzle earthed too.Has been like t that for yonks know.

Yes, it has been law to place tanks on the ground for ages, but, most servos didn't really enforce it, but my locals do now, big time, maybe someone has had an "incident"?

10 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yes, it has been law to place tanks on the ground for ages, but, most servos didn't really enforce it, but my locals do now, big time, maybe someone has had an "incident"?

Maybe.It's good practice.

• Like 1

That filter idea is good but just crazy in practice.   I had never seen one like that before.

I always fill up with the tanks on the ground but they do get a bit upset sometimes when I transfer to the car and put the fuel cap in the handle to lock it on whilst I put the lids back on the jerry cans and put it in the car. 

12 hours ago, noelm said:

I wouldn't toss it...it may keep a better seal when the cap is on. I remove mine to refill the tank too. A good example of a NON FUNCTIONING DESIGN FEATURE! Cheers, bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

I wouldn't toss it...it may keep a better seal when the cap is on. I remove mine to refill the tank too. A good example of a NON FUNCTIONING DESIGN FEATURE! Cheers, bn

The screen has nothing to do with the cap sealing mate.Toss it if you like.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, noelm said:

I think the mesh size is such that not only does it catch dirt, but also water, petrol goes through, but water does not, but, it makes filling painfully slow if you use it.

It's veeeeeery slooooow.

• Like 1

Most new engines have a decent fuel filter and therefore the filter on the fuel tank has become somewhat redundant.

I can see the value of that filter maybe 20 or 30 years ago...but it's pretty much redundant now. Take it out and save yourself the headache.

The only value i see for a filter is if your draining a old tank or swapping fuel out of one to the other, saves any sediment going into the new tank, but other than that i don't see much value. I use a generic mesh filter in a funnel when i fill my old ute up but thats carby so..