Line lay on Baitcasters

TAZ

Hi again guys. Today just spooled up my new, secret reel misses wise, Daiwa Fuego with some braid. Berkley X9. Anyway, this is my first low profile type of reel like this. Have had an Abu c4 for years and others like that, but not this type. All my others spooling up, use an old reel to put the line on then reel it onto the new one under a bit of drag pressure so I dont get line cut when fighting a fish. Ok, so this is what I saw/have. First say 25 mtrs on and its ok, but next 40 to 50 it's laying more in the centre 75% of the reel with less on either side, so now there are fall offs each side by a couple of mil. Im thinking what's going on here. I contemplated at each side lay purposely by finger tip, knocking the line over the side of it. But didnt, filled the spool to see what happens and the last 75 mtrs evened up nicely. It now looks correctly spooled. Thing is if I fish, say cast out hook up 20 or so meters out, it takes 30, 40, mts then I'm now at the spot that the line with any further runs out will be clipping up over those drop points each side as the drag runs out. Id have to be concious of backing the drag off as soon as I felt that happen for sure.  Has anybody else seen this when spooling up? It's strange that it did it for the first half but balanced off for the last. 

Many low profile baitcaster reels do it. I can't really say what happens if 60m or so runs off the reel as I seldom have that happen. I did use one of my baitcaster setups for the only Kingfish I have caught and there was no problem at all with the reel when winding it in. If you're unsure of what might happen drop a weighty sinker to the bottom in about 80m and retrieve it. That should give a fair indication of any foreseeable problems. If you do it let us all know if you have any issues. Generally speaking low profile baitcast reels aren't used with lots of braid out. bn

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Many low profile baitcaster reels do it. I can't really say what happens if 60m or so runs off the reel as I seldom have that happen. I did use one of my baitcaster setups for the only Kingfish I have caught and there was no problem at all with the reel when winding it in. If you're unsure of what might happen drop a weighty sinker to the bottom in about 80m and retrieve it. That should give a fair indication of any foreseeable problems. If you do it let us all know if you have any issues. Generally speaking low profile baitcast reels aren't used with lots of braid out. bn

Ok mate, thanks for that. I'm a newbie in this department of baitcasters. This is what I've done anyway, but it seems to just go one way or another. Painstakingly took all the line off directly onto a reel spool so as to cause no line twist, took 35 mins to do. Then as precise as I could adjusted the spool end play knob and wound it back on. Same thing happened. Only this time I watched and treated it like my old Penn Jig Master with no line guide and as soon as I saw it go south finger touched it at each end to keep it even. If I had not, it would have wound on the same way, so the end play adjustment did little to nothing to effect the end result. This time it just raised a little, maybe a ml, on the right end or side, at the very end of the spooling, but with an even drop if you get what I mean. I can live with that. The other way worried me. Ha, my luck I'll never get a fish to see if it ever would have mattered. Nice feeling to know that if I ever do though that I have potentially lessened  the impact. Thanks mate for putting my mind at rest that it is a common thing more or less with these. I guess the high end bigger buck jobs are all even as. Cheers mate. 

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hey TAZ. What sort of fishing are you going to do with your new low profile baitcast reel? Good luck with the fishing and post some pics of catches with the gear used. bn

Hi mate. I've never fished before for Murray Cod so am hoping to have a go at them with this and my other setup, the Abu c4 with a Penn Ultimate rod 10kg. The Abu id use for bait fishing the other lures. I get down to the beach a couple of times a year, go for flatties, salmon whatever as long as it swims, I'm easily pleased. When I was younger I liked night fishing for mulloway, pike snapper, I think iv gone a bit soft in that department since hitting 50 and now would prefer to be at home at night watching footy or a good movie.  Have not managed to get away this year yet, will though, soon I hope. Where I am I fish mostly for trout and redfin, with the odd yellow here and there. I wont knock back a go at a good sized carp for a fight but you couldn't pay me enough to eat one. I took the new set up for a go today though. First try using one. Think my jig heads were a bit light for it. Got a few birds nests but managed to thankfully untangle them. Jig heads were 1/6 oz with a softie guess total weight was 7 to 8 gram. Felt it should have been a bit more. Set mag cast to 20, was casting just 5 meters, tried on zero but thats when I got the tangles, so settled on 4 which seemed ok. Was managing in the end I guess 15 meter casts when I  could. No sign of fish though. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with a more appropriately weighted lure. Oh yeah, the line is Berkley X9, super limp, like string limp. 

There's a picture I put up several days ago in the brag board section of my best trout. Got that on a Sedona reel, kairiki braid, 1/8 jighead with a T tail minnow. Was hoping for a hookup like that today but was quite.

Edited by TAZ

13 hours ago, TAZ said:

Hi mate. I've never fished before for Murray Cod so am hoping to have a go at them with this and my other setup, the Abu c4 with a Penn Ultimate rod 10kg. The Abu id use for bait fishing the other lures. I get down to the beach a couple of times a year, go for flatties, salmon whatever as long as it swims, I'm easily pleased. When I was younger I liked night fishing for mulloway, pike snapper, I think iv gone a bit soft in that department since hitting 50 and now would prefer to be at home at night watching footy or a good movie.  Have not managed to get away this year yet, will though, soon I hope. Where I am I fish mostly for trout and redfin, with the odd yellow here and there. I wont knock back a go at a good sized carp for a fight but you couldn't pay me enough to eat one. I took the new set up for a go today though. First try using one. Think my jig heads were a bit light for it. Got a few birds nests but managed to thankfully untangle them. Jig heads were 1/6 oz with a softie guess total weight was 7 to 8 gram. Felt it should have been a bit more. Set mag cast to 20, was casting just 5 meters, tried on zero but thats when I got the tangles, so settled on 4 which seemed ok. Was managing in the end I guess 15 meter casts when I  could. No sign of fish though. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with a more appropriately weighted lure. Oh yeah, the line is Berkley X9, super limp, like string limp. 

There's a picture I put up several days ago in the brag board section of my best trout. Got that on a Sedona reel, kairiki braid, 1/8 jighead with a T tail minnow. Was hoping for a hookup like that today but was quite.

I do a lot of bait and lure fishing for Murray Cod and there's an article on here that you may find of interest. There's 28 gr in an ounce so your jighead was way too light to use on the 10 kg rod set up. I'm a lot older than you but have very similar fishing experiences (the odd trip to the salt and enjoy the fight from Carp). Can't beat Cod on surface lures though for excitement plus. Good luck with the new gear, will have a look at your Trout picture. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

I do a lot of bait and lure fishing for Murray Cod and there's an article on here that you may find of interest. There's 28 gr in an ounce so your jighead was way too light to use on the 10 kg rod set up. I'm a lot older than you but have very similar fishing experiences (the odd trip to the salt and enjoy the fight from Carp). Can't beat Cod on surface lures though for excitement plus. Good luck with the new gear, will have a look at your Trout picture. Cheers, bn

Yeah, guessed it was a bit light. Ordered some larger soft plastics and 1/2 oz jigheads. Should put me in the right range. Hopefully.