A hook size for both luderick and drummer?

chokpa

Hi Raiders

I've been getting into drummer fishing and would like to get into luderick too. But is it possible to have a hook size that can hook into both? Drummer im using a 2/0 or 3/0, but luderick seem to be a size 8-10. I'm just using the weed flies at the moment so they come pre rigged at that size.

I've been told drummer are pretty rare inside the harbour? Is this true? I'm fishing around manly/mosman.

Cheers!

Drummer can be taken off the rocks inside the harbour... got to find them.

If you are fishing with weed, well your size 8-10 is ideal because of the bait. Large drummer will tend to render these hooks useless if they put up a good fight.

Anyways I've used size 4-1/0 with bread and have caught both drummer and as a by catch luderick

check this guy out, his using 1/0s and landing luderick

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chokpa said:

Hi Raiders

I've been getting into drummer fishing and would like to get into luderick too. But is it possible to have a hook size that can hook into both? Drummer im using a 2/0 or 3/0, but luderick seem to be a size 8-10. I'm just using the weed flies at the moment so they come pre rigged at that size.

I've been told drummer are pretty rare inside the harbour? Is this true? I'm fishing around manly/mosman.

Cheers!

Hi Chokpa there are smaller Black Drummer in the calm water spots in the Harbour, have caught them while Luderick fishing as far in as Cremorne Point and plenty of times got 1 while Luderick fishing all along the east side of Bradleys Head to Taylors Bay. They aren't there in enough numbers to really target though.

A better class (and number) of fish are around Middle Head, but again not a great spot to fish for them. There are some giant "unlandable" sized Blue Groper at Middle Head also. 

The best spot is Dobroyd Head to Reef Beach, that is genuine rock fishing area. You need a lifejacket and rock plates when fishing there, as the area is affected by swell, similar to ocean front fishing.

Best fished in NW to W winds and is even ok in NEasters in summer. Forget going there in any southerly sea, as all the platforms are really low to the water and wave-washed at high tide, which is the best time to fish there. Any northerly swell on the coast leaves Dobroyd pretty flat and easy to fish.

The whole Dobroyd area fishes well from about half tide in to half out- there isn't enough water depth towards low tide. As it is a sanctuary zone, you can fish there no problem, but need to take your weed/cabbage in with you.

It is mostly known as a Luderick spot, but there are plenty of Drummer, Bream and some giant Blue Groper, as well as pelagics to spin for during summer. Some of the Pigs (Drummer) along here are genuinely large (over 4-5 kg) with average fish in the 1-1.5 kg range. Also you need a keepnet for keeping your catch alive as no decent 'safe' pools for them, landing net not necessary, just wash fish up.

Park in Beatty St and the first time you go take the Reef Beach track (Angophra Track) and continue south past reef beach and around the rocks- not dangerous- this leads you to a succession of different platforms. If you look on Google maps, the best platform is the one directly under Dobroyd Head lookout. 

There are stacks of tracks that lead down to the more southern platforms, however, the first couple of times you go it is easy way to find the spot. Takes about 20 mins walk to the first one, then a few mins from next to next etc.

In summer there are plenty of nudists there and by-passing the beach via one of the many higher tracks advisable! 

As Connico suggested, size 4- 1/0 hooks, if using weed/cabbage (which is abundant there) the smaller sizes will get you more Luderick. 

Best of luck if you try Dobroyd

Cheers Waza

• Like 3