10ft vs 12ft Casting Distance Question.

Daviddf

Hi, just a question regarding casting distance when surf fishing. 

I understand there are many variables involved with casting that affect distance, and how these variables factor in to the ultimate accuracy of the answer regarding my question. And yet i must get closer to the truth. 

Is there any way of knowing by observing the specs alone, which rod will cast the same weight further? (again with the variables). 

Penn prevail 12ft 12-20kg spinning vs german manufactured D.A.M Monster Big Fish 10ft 12-18kg spinning. Both have max cast weight of 200gram (inaccurate too i'm guessing). 

The DAM has a Reinforced High-Modulus Japanese TORAY Nano TC30 and TC36 carbon blank. 

I had the chance to use the Penn the other night and it's a fantastic rod, very solid and well made, but i prefer to hold the rod instead of using a spike, and the penn was a tad to the heavy side, which is why i'm thinking of the 10ft DAM. the price for the DAM is basically double... how much of that $360 price tag translates to actual performance, i don't know...

Cheers. 

You probably are already all over this but casting distance depends a lot on the kind of reel and line you are using as well as the casting technique and strength of the person casting.

If a slightly longer rod casts a little further, will that really make that much difference to your fishing success?

For myself, spending $300+ on a fishing rod is really a lot of money, (read way too much) but like everything, the value of what we buy is not just only measurable in dollars and cents.

If you buy the rod you didn't really want, you'll always have a niggling little regret every time you go fishing with it.

Probably not much help.

Good luck!

There are too many variables to consider   blank build      softer or harder action  reel   line   your physical capabilities   pick the rod that feels comfortable in your hands   years ago i had a mate that was alvey mad an swore he could cast further than my overhead spinning setup  his rod 13 ft 6 inch  my rod fsu 4120  10ft  we had a challenge on footy oval  4oz snapper lead  20lb nylon  he threw 105 mtrs  i threw 120mtrs  so length doesnt always equal distance   if one feels too heavy use a stronger longer pipe to sit it in  save the price difference and but more tackle

Obviously you're fishing bait not chucking lures, so you're not going to tire constantly casting the longer rod.

Keep in mind when bait fishing you really want to try and keep your line out of the shore break. That extra 2ft on the Prevail will come in mighty handy regarding that.

Beach fishing isn't all about casting distance, you only need get your bait just out behind the breakers most of the time.

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Obviously you're fishing bait not chucking lures, so you're not going to tire constantly casting the longer rod.

Keep in mind when bait fishing you really want to try and keep your line out of the shore break. That extra 2ft on the Prevail will come in mighty handy regarding that.

Beach fishing isn't all about casting disktance, you only need get your bait just out behind the breakers most of the time.

Go and see a custom rod builder in your area If you do not want  him to make it

He will sell the best parts and blank for the job  These guys  really know what make  a rod work  It will not be cheap  

The shop that sells DAMs and other Euro rods  in AU - offers almost every month another 20%  (15-25%) discount on top of already  discounted prices. AU RRP $645 - hope it is worth it, however resale value will be limited.

DAM rod comes with 2 different length tips for the price -  so it can be made 10 and 12 feet rod - I presume casting with 12 will be further. 

As mentioned above, you do not want a timber spike/butt if you don't need it and are always holding the rod, also if you are bait fishing off the beach then 12' will keep the line out of the shorebreak better than 10'. You could look at a few things to solve your issues. The Prevails are a well built rod and nice to use but can get heavy to hold. The Shimano Aerowave Graphite in heavy (13' three piece, marked at 8-15kg) should do most things the 12' 12-20kg Prevail does but may feel lighter in the hand and is slightly cheaper. It casts those weights easily and also handles a big load well. 

Regardless of the rod you choose you might want to look at some type of belt to rest the rod butt in both waiting for a bite and fighting fish. I have a 40mm PVC pressure cap (two holes drilled in the rim) tied with VB cord to a webbed belt (plastic clip buckle from bunnings). The VB cord ties onto one hip, goes through the drilled hole on each side of the rim of the PVC pressure cap and then up to the other hip. The length of your rod butt and how your reel is seated will determine how far you have the cap hang down but mine is about between my knees. You would need a 50mm PVC pressure cap for a Prevail because the rubber butt cap is too big for a 40mm cap. You can fight fish with the rod in it too. If you load the rod in the right way you can sort of "sit" you weight on the butt of the rod to exert pressure against the fish.

I always use this belt and have made some for my mates, they really do take alot of weight off your arms waiting for bites.

Thanks for the replies fellas. i love the prevail series and own the 10ft 15kg model which arrived from dinga in immaculate condition, unlike the two 12ft prevails that i had to send back from two other different places. it stung having to do that as it was what i originally wanted and still adore. I like to take some degree of pride in the rods i buy and own. I always take care of the rods and clean them to a sparkle after every trip, and it really aggravates me uncontrollably to see my rods scratched, blemished and looking heavily used when they are supposed to be new. It kind of put me off and seeing them in that condition diminished my excitement for fishing if you get what i mean? To me, rods are not just a tool or utility. They have proven to mean something a bit more special to me and i don't know why believe it or not.   

So i thought, heck, if i have to buy a german-made rod just to ensure i get a rod with a finished build quality that makes me feel good owning, then so be it - hence the issue of comparing the 10ft DAM with the 12ft prevail. Unfortunately i can't find the prevails locally or i'd inspect it to taste before buying. But i can't keep going on and on like this; it'll start costing me on return shipping. 

But you guys are right, it's not just about casting distance. I think i'll be happier with the prevail as an overall more suitable package. 

So, as it stands after ruling out the 10ft DAM, it's either risk not being completely happy with buying another prevail 12ft or buy the Sportex SU4211 Magnus Surf Turbo 4.20m 150-250g 15-20kg - which is even longer. These, apparently, are my options. One costs $180 and the other $470. 

Of course i'm fighting the inevitable: dude! you're going to scratch it eventually anyway! 

Thanks again for the replies :) 

Edited by Daviddf

• 2 months later...

I use 2 rods off the beach. Wilson Live Fibre 10'6"  4 to 6 kg for calm surf and a 13' for rougher conditions, and to reach further !!

Have a look at these, VERY light weight.  I spin with metal lures, Metal Vibes and Vibelicious plastic Vibes, as well as bait from worms to pilchards.   The 10'6" is a dream to use, with a Stradic  FK 4000 15 lb braid and leader It is a one handed rod. My favourite.    The 13' has an Ultegra 5500 CI4 with 25 lb braid. This reel is designed for beach fishing and Distance casting. The Reel is a vital element when it comes to distance !!!!!!

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Surf_Reels.html

http://www.wilsonfishing.com/Products/Rods/Live-Fibre-Rods/Estuary

http://www.wilsonfishing.com/Products/Rods/Live-Fibre-Rods/Surf

Regards Howard.