Recommend an overhead rod for bream off the rocks

frenzyfol

Jarvis Walker aurora estuary blackfish 3 metre (10 ft) cast weight 14-40 g 3-6 kg line class with a light - medium action 2 piece. Under $100 and a fantastic Bream rod. My choice for Bream although I use a Daiwa Capricorn 2500 spin reel with it for Bream and a fixed spool blackfish reel for Luderick ( that is IF I ever get to go Luderick fishing again ).

Frank.

43 minutes ago, frenzyfol said:

Hi, I'm looking for a 11 to 12 foot overhead specifically for targeting bream off the rocks and in the surf. 

Any recommendations?

Why do you want to use an overhead reel for bream? IMO you’d be better off with a threadline or an Alvey. Off the rocks, you’re best using unweighted or very lightly weighted baits - they’ll be in close to the rocks under the wash. Overhead reels need a bit of weight to overcome the inertia when casting and you’ll definitely need the weight to get a decent cast out in the surf. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Why do you want to use an overhead reel for bream? IMO you’d be better off with a threadline or an Alvey. Off the rocks, you’re best using unweighted or very lightly weighted baits - they’ll be in close to the rocks under the wash. Overhead reels need a bit of weight to overcome the inertia when casting and you’ll definitely need the weight to get a decent cast out in the surf. Just my opinion.

I've used an overhead for the last 20 years and definitely prefer it for bait fishing. 
I currently have a 5000, 5500 and 6500 abu and have no problems casting them with really light tackle. 
For the last 20 years Ive been using Kmart Jarvis Walker rods which have taken massive beatings and reeled in hundreds of fish. Its time for an upgrade.

I was looking at a Crucis 1228 blank but really I have no idea whether its a good choice.. And noone sells it as an overhead..

I already own both the Jarvis Walker aurora estuary and rock Bfish. Great for blackfishing but a little too floppy for additional distance casting for my likes. .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, frenzyfol said:

I've used an overhead for the last 20 years and definitely prefer it for bait fishing. 
I currently have a 5000, 5500 and 6500 abu and have no problems casting them with really light tackle. 
For the last 20 years Ive been using Kmart Jarvis Walker rods which have taken massive beatings and reeled in hundreds of fish. Its time for an upgrade.

I was looking at a Crucis 1228 blank but really I have no idea whether its a good choice.. And noone sells it as an overhead..

I already own both the Jarvis Walker aurora estuary and rock Bfish. Great for blackfishing but a little too floppy for additional distance casting for my likes. .

I recall there is a Crucis Synergy overhead rod with a length of about 11 feet. They are graphite and make a good cheaper alternative to the Diawa Sensor Surf. Might be a bit on the heavy side for bream and it may not take the knocks too well when rock fishing. 

7 hours ago, frenzyfol said:

Hi, I'm looking for a 11 to 12 foot overhead specifically for targeting bream off the rocks and in the surf. 

Any recommendations?

I think your best option would be to find a builder you're happy with and go custom.

Not too long ago I was looking for a light beach, overhead rod. Locally the only thing that came close was a Sensor Surf and I wasn't really happy with the look of it at all. In the end I decided to ditch the idea and stick with a threadline.

1 hour ago, frenzyfol said:

Good on you, then! 😎 I enjoy fishing with my Shimano baitcaster and the blank I built the rod up on is a pleasure to use. I reckon I’d struggle casting unweighted baits for bream from shore though!

Most Bream fishing off the rocks is done with no sinker, or a very tiny sinker, casts are typically only a few metres, a spin reel or an Alvey would suit much better, but, if you insist on using an overhead, then that's fine, but it is going to make life difficult at times.

13 hours ago, noelm said:

Most Bream fishing off the rocks is done with no sinker, or a very tiny sinker, casts are typically only a few metres, a spin reel or an Alvey would suit much better, but, if you insist on using an overhead, then that's fine, but it is going to make life difficult at times.

It's unusual to use no sinker, even a fixed spool reel will not cast an unweighted bream bait very far and it would not sink in the wash. Depending on the spot you might use 1/4 of an oz which a small baitcaster will handle. Anyway he has obviously been doing it for a while and that's his preference.

6 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

It's unusual to use no sinker, even a fixed spool reel will not cast an unweighted bream bait very far and it would not sink in the wash. Depending on the spot you might use 1/4 of an oz which a small baitcaster will handle. Anyway he has obviously been doing it for a while and that's his preference.

Fish regularly with no sinker, just this morning I used bread for bait, no sinker and caught a few Bream and a Blackfish.

7 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

It's unusual to use no sinker, even a fixed spool reel will not cast an unweighted bream bait very far and it would not sink in the wash.

If you're fishing with braid, an unweighted prawn will cast a mile

Braid cuts easily if it contacts rocks and there is still the problem of the bait not getting down if the wash is vigorous (which is when bream bite the best). Anyway he seems to be managing with an overhead so I don't think it is up to us to change his reel choice.