Tohatsu Motors (50hp 4 stroke to be specific)

The Rev

Hi There,

A couple of months ago I posted about 40-50ph 4 strokes and got some good feedback.  One thing I picked up was that the Sydney Boat show always has great prices - so today I went to look.  I originally was looking at Suzuki vs Yamaha Vs Honda.  After looking at all of these and getting prices I walked past the Tohatsu stand and thought - Why not have a look.  What I discovered was that the Tohatsu was cheaper, lighter and all Japanese build and assembly.

I was wondering if people had much experience with this brand and how they found them Reliability and Performance?  Any comments would be helpful.  I have till Monday lunch to make a decision on what brand to buy if I get one!  Still working out if I can afford it.

the Rev (Bruce)

Tohatsu make engines for other brands, and some Tohatsus are made by other manufacturers, they seem to be as reliable and as well made as anything else on the market, but for some reason, the name never really took off in a big way.

Mate, hit Google. They have some answers. Tohatsu is up here on the Cental Coast. Most of guys I know buy the proven brands. Tohatsu has never been marketed to the Australian buyers, like Mercury, Yamaha etc.

Outboards are big money, be carefull.

Cheers.

• Like 1

They looked like nice motors. I didn't get anyone to talk to me about them. I thought that they looked physically bigger than the other brands, but you must have spoken to someone as you've said they are lighter.

I've never used one, but a mate had a two stoke on and apart from being a bit noisy, it seemed to be very reliable.

• Like 1

I owned a small half cabin F/G that usually came fitted with a 30HP 4 stroke Honda outboard, I found that I could fit a 50HP 2 stroke Tohatsu as it was about the same weight. Best decision I ever made, at the time a lot of professional fishermen used Tohatsu for various reasons and I am sure a there will be a lot of views re 2strokes versus 4strokes, but for myself it was great, get up and plane with 4 on board was no trouble, no problems with it in seven years. 

i doubt you would have too many issues going down that path, Tohatsu make motors for Mercury and Honda i believe that the smaller Merc 4 strokes are actually Tohatsu's, ask the dealer about service/warrenty etc. 

tohatsu is a brand name they are actually nissan like the cars which what they are called in the states google some of the yank sites for info on them .as i say all new outboards are all pretty good these days rigging and setup .propping fuel system etc are the things the make longativity of a outboard cheersdunc 333 

thanks noelm for the correction, any way same motors sold in aus and usa and usa has just  a few more people than aus so hope we can get a review from there  sites as it is like chalk and cheese as how many they sell there to here in aus regards dunc333

• 2 weeks later...

Can't offer any personal experience with 4 strokes, but in the 2 stroke variety...

FIL had an old grey 25hp Tohatsu that was a late 90s model. Very reliable despite maintenance neglect.

I had an 18Hp Tohatsu for 7 years which never missed a beat. 

Went with the 50Hp Tohatsu earlier this year based on the above and it's a no nonsense economical unit. 

And, yes, Tohatsu make the smaller 2 strokes for Mercury, and have various arrangements with Honda and BRP Evinrude for 4 strokes.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/outboard-engine-buyers-guide-2018-111436/

https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/brpevinrude-announces-deal-with-tohatsu-for-small-outboards/

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/honda-to-private-label-large-outboards-tohatsu/

Edited by Ah Me Ting
Added links to articles